Sony A6600, Fuji XT 3 or?

Man of Honour
OP
So I’m investing in a 1.4 35mm but not until Christmas. In the mean time I want a cheap landscape. As has been mentioned above the Samyang 12mm may be a contender, but I would prefer AF. The 10-24 is the ideal candidate but too expensive. Are they any other options?

olv

olv

Soldato
I wouldn't let manual focus put you off, the focus peak mode makes it really intuitive and beyond about f/5, at 12mm, everything is in focus, it's difficult to miss :D

OEUuDe1.jpg

BqjfBnq.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Wow incredible shots! My one reservation with MF and my camera is that it’s so small I have to focus everything using the screen display. Whilst it is fairly intuitive I’m not finding it that easy, especially if a grab and go picture presents itself. I just find it a bit difficult but I am adapting to life without using the viewfinder as much. But the samyang 12mm looks like the one to get. £250 pre owned

Soldato
So I’m investing in a 1.4 35mm but not until Christmas. In the mean time I want a cheap landscape. As has been mentioned above the Samyang 12mm may be a contender, but I would prefer AF. The 10-24 is the ideal candidate but too expensive. Are they any other options?
Yep I was one of those touting the virtues of the Samyang 12mm. Honestly the MF is no issue at all. Mine sits on infinity focus 99% of the time. Unless you're shooting something close up (like 1-2 metres from the lens at f2) then pretty much everything is in focus beyond that. As pointed out above, once you hit f5.6 ish and above everything is in focus at infinity.

Soldato
I think I'm going to invest in the Samyang after doing some research, and what has been said here of course. But I'm thinking I might need a small, portable tripod to help me on my way. Any suggestions?
Head over to the rainforest and have a look at anything in the £40-60 bracket, probably looking at either a K&F Concept or Neewer. My first tripod was a K&F Concept which I got in a Prime deal for around £45 and although I have a Benro now the K&F is still in my arsenal and gets plenty of use.
My advice would be don't go for something too small (or short). You will find it gets very limiting very quickly - that's my experience anyway. You ideally want a tripod that will go to at least chest height, or around 72 inches give or take. They all fold up into much the same size anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks again. I actually already have a Manfrotto which I picked up during Black Friday and got a cracking deal, but its reasonably bulky and completely counters the idea of a small mirrorless camera in my opinion. I was considering something far more portable, which I could set up quickly and easily. I see Manfrotto do a compact range which is specifically for smart phones and mirrorless cameras and gets good reviews. Maybe I should take a look.

Man of Honour
OP
Thought I would update this thread. I'm selling the X T200 :D

Whilst it was the perfect size in many ways, I would really struggle to operate it due to my large hands. I would end up missing the shot entirely due to the complexity of operating the menus via the touchscreen. Fuji are not the most intuitive in that respect. That said, I love the quality of the jpeg image. Superior in many ways to what I was getting with the Nikon I had before. So I'm back to the drawing board of sorts, but I am thinking the XT 3 is the way to go. In retrospect I probably should have invested in that in the first place.

Soldato
The X-H1 is the closest to that DSLR 'feel in the hand' and is a stonking camera.
If you can find one from some of the used gear websites it's well worth it.
I paid £600 for mine a few months back after tossing up between it and the X-T3 but I already had the X-T20 so I wanted the ibis and the deeper grip. I haven't been disappointed.

Soldato
So I’ve just seen which is interesting. What about this business with no ibis? Surely the majority of lenses have ibis built in? Or is that not the point?
Many do but not the majority. It depends on your needs really. The zooms (with the exception of the 16-55mm) have OIS however the fast primes don't - and this is where the ibis comes in.
Since purchasing my X-H1 I have added the 23 f1.4 and 90 F2 to my 12mm and 35mm primes and it's been a total game changer. Furthermore it opens up the opportunity for legacy or adapted lenses if that fits your needs.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Hmm I am a bit concerned about the lack of ibis on the XT3. I had intended to invest in the 35mm 1.4 which I believe doesn’t have it, and a lot of my work is handheld. I don’t want to make a rod for my own back.

I don’t think you’ll need IBIS for portraits and landscapes. It’s important for doing video IMO or if your struggling for light.

Back
Top Bottom