What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Train to Busan 2 - 2/10

Giving this a generous 2 even when I couldn't finish watching it because it's so bad. Everything that made the first one good is totally missing from this. The story is stupid and boring, like a plot from a B movie, very bad use of CGi and characters you don't care about.

Soldato
Train to Busan 2 - 2/10

Giving this a generous 2 even when I couldn't finish watching it because it's so bad. Everything that made the first one good is totally missing from this. The story is stupid and boring, like a plot from a B movie, very bad use of CGi and characters you don't care about.

For a moment it looked as though you were rating the original as 2/10 like WTF dude!!!

Shame if the sequel is a bust.

Soldato
Tenet - 8/10...might rise or fall on a rewatch at the weekend.

Strong mostly unique story, not too bogged down with exposition as much as Inception. Typical lack of emotional range as seen in most Nolan movies and fairly 1 dimensional characters outside of the outstanding leads. Pattinson was a pleasant surprise, pleasure to watch in all his scenes, Washington, as always, oozed charisma and was a great leading man.

Soundtrack was somewhat overbearing but still liked it, the relentless bass got a bit tiring in points. Some dialogue was hard to follow due to the soundtrack and background noise.

If you don't like Inception and Interstellar, I doubt you'll like this, it's Nolan doubling down on what he knows, is good at and the movie is a success in that regard, it just suffers the regular flaws he has throughout his movies.

Hard to say more without major spoilers.

Associate
Upgrade- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hTLGlgZ4Z8
Really enjoyed it but saw the ending coming a mile off.

Recommend it though. :)

This rang a bell.. Pretty sure it was mentioned on one of the Corridor Crew stunt scene or sfx vids..
Anyway perfectly watchable and the action scenes were really well done
but was literally Venom with AI instead of aliens, even the main guy looked just like Tom Hardy!

Associate
This rang a bell.. Pretty sure it was mentioned on one of the Corridor Crew stunt scene or sfx vids..
Anyway perfectly watchable and the action scenes were really well done
but was literally Venom with AI instead of aliens, even the main guy looked just like Tom Hardy!
c3d1e10e5da59baa7e8cf3184d8a1073.jpg

Soldato
2001 A Space Odyssey

While I can appreciate what a technical achievement the film was for it's time. It doesn't cover the fact that it's a very slow and boring film. A two and a half hour run time that has 90 minutes with no dialogue must have been a chore to watch in 1968, let a lone in 2020.

Had it on in the background last night, like you said visually for 1968 it was probably stunning. But my god was it sleeping material. Thought at one stage it sounded like a dodgy phonecall with heavy breathing on the other end.

Caporegime
2001 A Space Odyssey

While I can appreciate what a technical achievement the film was for it's time. It doesn't cover the fact that it's a very slow and boring film. A two and a half hour run time that has 90 minutes with no dialogue must have been a chore to watch in 1968, let a lone in 2020.

Most of Kubrick's movies are slow and boring

*Runs and hides*

Permabanned
Tenet - 8/10...might rise or fall on a rewatch at the weekend.

Strong mostly unique story, not too bogged down with exposition as much as Inception. Typical lack of emotional range as seen in most Nolan movies and fairly 1 dimensional characters outside of the outstanding leads. Pattinson was a pleasant surprise, pleasure to watch in all his scenes, Washington, as always, oozed charisma and was a great leading man.

Soundtrack was somewhat overbearing but still liked it, the relentless bass got a bit tiring in points. Some dialogue was hard to follow due to the soundtrack and background noise.

If you don't like Inception and Interstellar, I doubt you'll like this, it's Nolan doubling down on what he knows, is good at and the movie is a success in that regard, it just suffers the regular flaws he has throughout his movies.

Hard to say more without major spoilers.

This! Absolutely this! Not seen Tenet yet for this exact reason. I love Nolan's style and he's a superb film maker, but he misses the mark almost every time with this. I heard someone once refer to him as an Alien who'd been taught all about film technique but nothing about the human condition. It's one of the reasons I always cringe at the comparisons to Kubrick. Kubrick's emotional beats always felt so well realised and lived in whereas Nolan's feel like he's had the spectrum of emotion explained to him by a psychologist. His films felt very cold to me in a way I always struggled to put into words until I'd heard that analogy.

Caporegime
This! Absolutely this! Not seen Tenet yet for this exact reason. I love Nolan's style and he's a superb film maker, but he misses the mark almost every time with this. I heard someone once refer to him as an Alien who'd been taught all about film technique but nothing about the human condition. It's one of the reasons I always cringe at the comparisons to Kubrick. Kubrick's emotional beats always felt so well realised and lived in whereas Nolan's feel like he's had the spectrum of emotion explained to him by a psychologist. His films felt very cold to me in a way I always struggled to put into words until I'd heard that analogy.

I think Batman and Interstellar has some emotion to them.

Permabanned
I think Batman and Interstellar has some emotion to them.

Batman perhaps, but Interstellar is the film I'd argue is most guilty of it. It's themes of love throughout are so ham fisted that it makes me cringe now to think of them (the Anne Hatheway spiel in particular) and that ending crashes and burns so hard. Just feels so emotionally inept with no subtlety at all. To a large extent I'd say he's very much in the 'tell don't show' category of film makers, despite his reputation for being the opposite.

Soldato
Batman perhaps, but Interstellar is the film I'd argue is most guilty of it. It's themes of love throughout are so ham fisted that it makes me cringe now to think of them (the Anne Hatheway spiel in particular) and that ending crashes and burns so hard. Just feels so emotionally inept with no subtlety at all.

Ironically despite my comments about Nolans lack of emotion, Interstellar is his one film that reduces me to tears in parts, evokes so much emotion in me at multiple times throughout. That is almost primarily due to the score though, it speaks to me on a level I can't even convey properly in words.

Man of Honour
Ironically despite my comments about Nolans lack of emotion, Interstellar is his one film that reduces me to tears in parts, evokes so much emotion in me at multiple times throughout. That is almost primarily due to the score though, it speaks to me on a level I can't even convey properly in words.

As I was reading your comment and before I'd finished, I said to myself it's the film's score that's doing that.

Watched it again the other night and I think the score really stands out to me as one of my favourites. For me it turns a good film into a great film.

Back
Top Bottom