Mountain Biking

Soldato
My Aeris was what I had at BPW that day with you. Sold it a few weeks back so been using the Shan (pic above) since. Used to only use the Shan midweek generally but it's such a capable bike for a hard tail. Had it about 2 years now and I don't give it the love it deserves... Keeps up with and faster than full sus on the same trails hence me selling the Aeris.

I'm torn between a Jeffsy and Capra! Unsure if the Capra is too much bike for a do-it-all bike.

Soldato
Put a deposit down on a 2021 GT Avalanche Expert this morning - Large (so 29" wheels) and in matt black. Got to wait a few more months to pick it up though, but at least it means the nightmare search for a new bike is over.

Soldato
My Aeris was what I had at BPW that day with you. Sold it a few weeks back so been using the Shan (pic above) since. Used to only use the Shan midweek generally but it's such a capable bike for a hard tail. Had it about 2 years now and I don't give it the love it deserves... Keeps up with and faster than full sus on the same trails hence me selling the Aeris.

I'm torn between a Jeffsy and Capra! Unsure if the Capra is too much bike for a do-it-all bike.

I'm biased, but... Jeffsy.

Unless you're doing big park days, or racing enduro, the 150/150 29er Jeffsy (or 160/160 27.5 if you like) is a brilliant all rounder.

Just upgraded mine to a Cane creek DB Coil Il shock today. With 150mm Fox 36's and 150mm coil rear shock it's very much a mini-enduro bike.

Soldato
Anyone got SRAM AXS, really fancy it once my current drive train needs a few new parts. Chain is at 0.5 now soon as it reaches 0.75 time to change that, XX1 cassette will need changing as well. It's done well think its seen 3 chains.
So id need chain, cassette, mech and shifter, probably a chainring as well, should be able to easily step up to a 32t rather than my current 28 and 30t.

Caporegime

For sure you had a hardtail with you.

While no doubt the Jeffys is amazing, I jumped on my mates large and I instantly disliked it. I'm not sure if it's smaller or not, but it felt so off that my 5 year old Aeris felt better. But then I see @TallPaul_S photos and change my mind :D

Anyone got SRAM AXS, really fancy it once my current drive train needs a few new parts. Chain is at 0.5 now soon as it reaches 0.75 time to change that, XX1 cassette will need changing as well. It's done well think its seen 3 chains.
So id need chain, cassette, mech and shifter, probably a chainring as well, should be able to easily step up to a 32t rather than my current 28 and 30t.

No, not yet won the lottery :p

Soldato
Trying to get into mountain biking looking for entry level hardtail to test the waters, but can't find anything in stock. I am 5'5 so I was looking at small bikes? But after some research I found out that I should not be ignoring medium bikes?

I found Marin bobcat trail 3 in medium size and considering getting it, would this be to big for me? my stand over height is fine? how do i measure my reach ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I've just ordered a Raleigh Talus 2 through the cycle2work and I'm wondering if I've got the right size? It's a 15" frame with 27.5 inch tyres. I'm about 5'8, and do have quite short legs, my inseam is about 27 inches. I read a review of a guy who said he was 5'8 and he said the small model was just right for him.

Last edited:
Soldato
For sure you had a hardtail with you.

While no doubt the Jeffys is amazing, I jumped on my mates large and I instantly disliked it. I'm not sure if it's smaller or not, but it felt so off that my 5 year old Aeris felt better. But then I see @TallPaul_S photos and change my mind :D
Ah! It may have been this (My old Shan MV 26".)
IMAG2799.jpg

I could have sworn I brought my Aeris that day but doubting myself now..

Hi all,

I've just ordered a Raleigh Talus 2 through the cycle2work and I'm wondering if I've got the right size? It's a 15" frame with 27.5 inch tyres. I'm about 5'8, and do have quite short legs, my inseam is about 27 inches. I read a review of a guy who said he was 5'8 and he said the small model was just right for him.
You did sit on it before you ordered it?

Soldato
Just did the 200 hour service on my Rockshox Judy Silvers. I didn't do a 50 hour one... Probikegarage suggests I've ridden for 258 hours. It'll be a bit more than that as I don't log every ride. The fluid was black.

Soldato
Anyone ridden an Orbea Laufey? My order for the new Whyte 905 fell through as they could not fulfil them all, so they have annoyed me a little, though I still have a deposit on one. Looking for a good all rounder once general bike stock starts landing around that price, max £2K. Ideally want a good all round bike, mainly for fast trail riding with occasional bike parks. a good all-rounder as such. My list had got down to two, the 905 and the Nukeproof Scout Comp, but I keep reading good things about the Laufey and the spec is amazing for the money.

I love my 905 V2. I ride it more than my Trance 1.

Soldato
Does anyone have Carrera fury 2020? I have been looking for a entry level mountain bike but all the ones I want are out of stock. What are people thoughts on this bike I will get getting 10% off the price.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...in-bike-2020---red---s-m-l-frames-340550.html

Looks fine for an entry level hard tail that.

1x drive train, air adjustable fork and even a dropper post. Rest of the components look ok too.

For £540, if its in stock (given bikes stocks over the last couple of months), I'd go for it. Should get plenty of use out of that.

Soldato
Looks fine for an entry level hard tail that.

1x drive train, air adjustable fork and even a dropper post. Rest of the components look ok too.

For £540, if its in stock (given bikes stocks over the last couple of months), I'd go for it. Should get plenty of use out of that.

Ok I will see if they have it in store to try out was considering the Voodoo bizango as well

Associate
Got an expensive new pump as out of stock of everything else at Evans with reversible presta to schrader valve, but the presta end is an absolute destroyer. No feedback of when it's properly on, it took off a pesta connector completely when I've had no issue with traditional pump presta connectors. Practised on an old tube and as careful as I was it took off that one too. Schrader end fine but bad design makes the presta end very bulky and heavy, the opposite of good design. Will be using the schrader end from now on with a presta adapter. Junk for what I paid for it as I needed it that day.

Soldato
Pushed myself a little too far last week whilst riding, seems while riding up a set of steps (in the wrong gear!) I managed to both tear a load of lower back muscles and slip a disc! Massively annoyed at myself as not only a week of pain like I've never felt before but also means off the bike for the next few weeks at least. :(

In prep for getting back on the bike though I've picked up some new lights and a Crank Brothers M19 multitool, just need to find a decent under saddle bag that suits a dropper post.

Back
Top Bottom