Hedge/Foliage ideas

Associate
Hi,

I'm after the forum's wisdom...

The boundary between my garden and next door's is a low block work wall (1m heigh) topped by trellis which is over grown by ivy etc. Sadly the trellis is rotten and the whole sheebang is drooping over into my garden.

Whilst the boundary is next door's, the trellis seems to be installed in my side. The bracing to the block wall is on my side. Probably installed by the previous owners.

So I am looking to replace the ivy/trellis with some other form of grow or hedging. Ideally something that is bare up to 1m in height and then foliage. But a normal hedge that is happy to grow close to a wall. Would be OK too.

I need around 15m of such.

Not sure what the issues may be in fixing this boundary as the property is a rental, but not let out yet.

Can anyone suggest a suitable form of foliage to provide privacy and security?

Thanks

Soldato
The boundary is a shared invisible line, the wall/trellis etc belongs to the side that put it there, if you replace it then you are the new owner of the boundary fence etc.

Associate
OP
The boundary is a shared invisible line, the wall/trellis etc belongs to the side that put it there, if you replace it then you are the new owner of the boundary fence etc.

OK never thought like that before. So as it was erected my side. I can replace the trellis without any grief...

Soldato
Have a look on Hedgesdirect, i bought about 50m worth 2 or 3 years ago and the service was very good.

I got native hedgerow (hawthorn, blackthorn, rose, wild cherry etc) which doesn't sound suitable for you but have a look on their site as there's lots of info about all the different types, i'm sure they'd be more than happy to give advise if you phoned them too.

Associate
OP
Have a look on Hedgesdirect, i bought about 50m worth 2 or 3 years ago and the service was very good.

I got native hedgerow (hawthorn, blackthorn, rose, wild cherry etc) which doesn't sound suitable for you but have a look on their site as there's lots of info about all the different types, i'm sure they'd be more than happy to give advise if you phoned them too.

Thanks for the tip. Instant hedging looks idea.. But it is not cheap!

Permabanned
Where are the plants? If the ivy is on your side there is no problem but if the ivy is on your neighbors side you have to be careful not to damage his plants. It would be wise to ask him. Also, you will actually be responsible for any issues your planted border may cause. Honestly it's a lot easier to just put a fence there.

Associate
OP
Hi, the plants are 90% my side 10% their side so easy enough to sort. Agree a fence may be easier, but that would not get approval from the wife!

Discussing it with next door is also tricky, then new tenets only moved in yesterday and I do not know who actually owns it!

Man of Honour
Just remember that if you put a hedge or any other "living fence" in that it will also mean that your neighbours will have to maintain their side if they don't want it to look like a eyesore after a few years. They may not be gardening types so it will not be popular with them.

Soldato
I would replace the trellis, paint/stain both sides to protect it for a few years before installing. Once it's up, ask your wife to choose a few clematis plants or similar climbers. In a year or two you'll have decent growth over most of the trellis.

Associate
OP
I would replace the trellis, paint/stain both sides to protect it for a few years before installing. Once it's up, ask your wife to choose a few clematis plants or similar climbers. In a year or two you'll have decent growth over most of the trellis.

Certainly sounds a lot cheaper than buying pregrown hedges! I think the wife want fairly instant privacy. Property height differences mean that the neighbours would be overlooking our lounge while stuff grows.

Back
Top Bottom