Fence and manhole cover

Associate
The neighbours wanted a fence fitting in there rented out house so we agreed as we had hedges in and they paid for and hired the workers.
Short version is they did all the work whilst we was away on holiday and we have come back and they have taken about a foot of our land looking at where the roofs meet.

Questioned them and by the sounds of it they where travelers who did the work and when asked why they have done it this way they said the workers rang the council regarding a manhole in between the gardens and they where told to do it this way so they could access it.
At this point I thought should they not have rang the water board?

Anyway what is the general thought on this as for me as the fence is a concrete post and concrete base boards with 5ft/6ft wood panels in so not the end of the world to remove to get to the manhole if they had built it in the proper place.
And to top it off this evening we noticed they where at the house so we had a chat and they are fine if we move it back at our cost

Soldato
And to top it off this evening we noticed they where at the house so we had a chat and they are fine if we move it back at our cost
Im not surprised they are happy with you paying for getting your own land back. Its tricky really do you want to get in a row with them about who pays for their mistake or just get it over and done with. Its fairly easy to remove a fencing board to get to the manhole if the need arises.

How was the previous boundary situated in regards to the manhole.

Associate
OP
How was the previous boundary situated in regards to the manhole.

Under the hedges but mainly on our side, tbh all the jobs they get done must be the cheapest quotes going.

They had the front paved for parking and the guys they got dot and dabbed the pavers which cracked as soon as they parked a car on it, so this has been re-done by a second guy.
They got the roof re-tiled and the roofers didn't stick a gutter between our roof and theres as they used a different tile to ours which we had to point out to them once the roofer had long gone.

Associate
OP
I would not be happy to lose a foot of my garden and even more ****** off if I was told that I would have to pay to get it back.
Yes my point exactly, they don't see it as an issue having spoken to the owners tonight and don't think they realise it could affect the saleability of our house if we decide to move.

I think an issue is English isn't there first language, I also think the guys that did it have lied regarding ringing the council as at first is was the owners who rang until I asked a few questions at which point it was the builders (cowboys) who had apparently rang them and they have agreed with them to place the fence where it now sits.

Associate
Agree with Alexa, will cause all sorts of issues down the line, if the original boundary is in doubt - as a buyer I would walk away. Best get it resolved, bloody cheeky though - its not your mistake to rectify.

Associate
I would ask them to take down the fence and make good your own land . shown them the correct boundary. Imo if they wanted the fence they should have put it on their side of the manhole cover .

Try and avoid using solicitor as it could be classed as a dispute when you sell.

Soldato
As a ground worker, I have built dozens of fences over the years.

It's the fitters fault they built the fence in the wrong place, it's down to them to rectify it at their expense.
It's bs about ringing the council, they trying to fob you off.
I have often fitted fencing over a manhole on a boundary, fence panels and gravel boards will slide up and out if access is needed (unless it's arris fencing)

Permabanned
It really is their problem and they should sort it out.

TBH I am surprised they care, most rentals don't give a hoot. Usually the landlord isn't that bothered either, they just want to avoid trouble. To my mind this probably comes down to the builders. It's very unusual that builders would do something like that, and I guess you are right, they didn't really know what they are doing. If they were experienced they would know the worst thing you can do is wander over to someone else's property. I suspect you could ask the builders to move it, since they didn't get your permission.

The alternative is to do is make absolutely sure it is on your land. Once you are sure of that, then you can just carefully take it down and deposit it on their land. Don't damage it, but you are within your rights to remove it.

Lastly, if you want to avoid arguments then just pay someone to move it.

Associate
OP
All taken on-board, the owners honestly don't have a clue, the lads that did it where travelers from what I have been told by my other neighbour who was chatting to them and they won't now go back to them to ask them to rectify the issue I don't think.
I am going to ask a family friend to price up moving it and let them decide if they want to move it, if not we will have to see if a letter from a solicitor will persuade them in to doing something.

I just can't believe they thought it was the best way to go and just shove it where they wanted.

All taken on-board, the owners honestly don't have a clue, the lads that did it where travelers from what I have been told by my other neighbour who was chatting to them and they won't now go back to them to ask them to rectify the issue I don't think.
I am going to ask a family friend to price up moving it and let them decide if they want to move it, if not we will have to see if a letter from a solicitor will persuade them in to doing something.

I just can't believe they thought it was the best way to go and just shove it where they wanted.

Probably a cash job, so owner came round at the end went oh yeah looks good and handed over the cash.
The other reason people move fences is so they dont have to deal with the old posts, just cut them off below the surface and cover it up, considering who was alledgedly doing the work its highly likely they also did this

Soldato
It's the fitters fault they built the fence in the wrong place, it's down to them to rectify it at their expense.

After reading who erected the fence, that seems a very unlikely option moving forward.

I know it's hindsight, but the biggest mistake was agreeing to have it done whilst you were away. At least if the works were being done whilst you were present, you could have spotted it earlier and told them to move the fence to consume more of their garden up rather than your own.

Boundary disputes very rarely end civil, especially when someone has to pay to have works rectified.

Do you have any legal cover on your home insurance? That might come into help here.

Soldato
It's definitely something I'd want rectifying at their costs. It could create loads of problems further down the line when selling. The neighbours could also try and claim adverse possesion once it's been like it for 12 years.

I'd also be making it clear you object to them using your land (i.e the 1ft they've claimed), this helps avoid any boundary disputes in the future.

Soldato
Pay somebody to dismantle the fence and move it 1ft back.

Realistically this might the simplest and easiest option given that the renters have already agreed to this. It's a rubbish situation but pursuing a boundary pursuit is lengthy and expensive.

Associate
OP
Pay somebody to dismantle the fence and move it 1ft back.

Realistically this might the simplest and easiest option given that the renters have already agreed to this. It's a rubbish situation but pursuing a boundary pursuit is lengthy and expensive.

Don't fancy paying at a guess £700 - £1000, but yes I get what you are saying.
I am going to see what my house insurance says as I have legal cover, before this I will have another conversation with them to try an come to a solution before any letters get sent.

Associate
OP
After reading who erected the fence, that seems a very unlikely option moving forward.

I know it's hindsight, but the biggest mistake was agreeing to have it done whilst you were away. At least if the works were being done whilst you were present, you could have spotted it earlier and told them to move the fence to consume more of their garden up rather than your own.

Boundary disputes very rarely end civil, especially when someone has to pay to have works rectified.

Do you have any legal cover on your home insurance? That might come into help here.

We agreed many months ago, if they waited till we was away to do it or it just happened this way who knows :confused:

Yes I am going to ring our house insurance up and see what options we have.

Back
Top Bottom