Tenet (2020) - Christoper Nolan

Don
Cinemas can't survive without the crap they need to sell to people to stuff down their gullet so of course masks won't be required. :p

Personally, masks wouldn't bother me. It's always icy-cold in most cinemas and masks are only annoying when hot/sweaty.
Cineworld are allowing you to eat and drink in the cinema.

Just back from seeing and loved it, but to echo others the soundtrack over powers some of the speaking parts.

Found the twist was a bit obvious when it happened and there was a couple of bits that went against the idea of matter being "reversed".

Soldato
Going back for more soundtrack punishment next Thursday on standard screen, hopefully the soundtrack is a bit more forgiving on the non imax stuff.

Soldato
Tough one this. It captured me, but gave me a headache. Would take a few viewings to get it all. (I'm thick)
The effects where pretty great. Hard to say which bits of it where filmed backwards or which bits were made to look like they were.

The start was so fast I struggled with the initial pace, but you can kinda work out what happens at the end. Any time dilation style film is going to be confusing.

Sound wasn't so bad for me during dialogue but there was the occasional ear bleeding scene with music... I think the signiture noises were a normal action orchastra played backwards.

Caporegime
I thought the start, first 20 mins?, was horribly paced and i started to think omg what is this garbage going to be......

It chopped from scene to scene to scene and each scene was basically horrible. The dialogue was truly awful from what i remember Michael cane reading, Scientist explanation lady backwards guns.... The Opera one was memorable. it wasn't until he got to India did the pace and structure took a much better pace and quality.

I defo want to rewatch it on bluray for any scenes withing scenes that you might miss during your first watch.

I'M not entirely sure how Elizabeth Debicki's character "ends" She sees the woman jump from the ship and disappear, "i wish i could be that woman... ok well, clever. :p "
Then her original self goes through time to complete the film in the future. So herself that jumped off the ship takes over the roll of "Happy mum" with the mobile phone message in a week or 2s time and original Elizabeth Debicki closes the anomaly in the future when she goes through the machine?.... Honestly i've stopped thinking about it, it was a good quirky film ill leave it at that.

Soldato
I thought the start, first 20 mins?, was horribly paced and i started to think omg what is this garbage going to be......

It chopped from scene to scene to scene and each scene was basically horrible. The dialogue was truly awful from what i remember Michael cane reading, Scientist explanation lady backwards guns.... The Opera one was memorable. it wasn't until he got to India did the pace and structure took a much better pace and quality.

I defo want to rewatch it on bluray for any scenes withing scenes that you might miss during your first watch.

I'M not entirely sure how Elizabeth Debicki's character "ends" She sees the woman jump from the ship and disappear, "i wish i could be that woman... ok well, clever. :p "
Then her original self goes through time to complete the film in the future. So herself that jumped off the ship takes over the roll of "Happy mum" with the mobile phone message in a week or 2s time and original Elizabeth Debicki closes the anomaly in the future when she goes through the machine?.... Honestly i've stopped thinking about it, it was a good quirky film ill leave it at that.

Yep totally agree with this, exactly how I felt. Was strange, 1 seconds he's a cia agent the next he's involved in something you don't have a clue who for or where and all sort of people are undercover and connected. Was a bit much for the brain to comprehend so quickly for me. It's a Nolan style though.

I think she completed her loop when she killed him. Essentially he's still alive in that time too, I think. They were both future people and in a day or two when she gets shot and goes through the machine, she will end her loop and be the only one. They dragged his body away so that he couldn't find himself. ]

Don
Yes, bearing in mind they are moving back and forth in the same timeline, not creating parallel universes, it’s future baddie that is shot and he realises when she lifts her shirt to show the scar that she is also future wife.

You don’t realise it at the time (I think?) but Pattinson’s character is at the opera as well at the very start.

Soldato
I'm not sure if it was the whole point of the paradox speech, and him specifically saying they don't know what will happen as its unknowable, but had Future Billionaire have ended the world on the boat, he wouldn't have been alive to go to the future to return to the end of the world. I'm sure this was important to some part of the film.

Don
Aye, I think it's an attempt to at least try and suggest even though the goodies have won, there is still jeopardy involved (though this is no different to 99% of these sort of good v bad films - the goodies always win*) - it's the whole thing about the plan is not to successfully defuse the bomb for the team going forward as they know the bomb still goes off.

There's so many little touches it's brilliant - when he starts on the windmill, the big squad of people going the other way when he gets on the boat are all the soliders coming back from that mission to serve their "quarantine", the Arepo man was likely someone "reversed" as they "couldn't walk or talk" who was also closing up a loose end (to set the whole thing in motion).

Last edited:
Soldato
Was surprised that in a 700 seat cinema there was only around 50 seats sold, didn't see anyone taking their masks off throughout either.

I enjoyed this but I'll be honest at times I was struggling to keep up with if it was present or inverse, soundtrack was good and had the odd part where it was too loud over the talking.

Caporegime
Just back. Loved it. Needs another watch for sure, but it wasn't as confusing as a lot of reviews say really. The only major thing is your lost in thought about the previous scene whilst your on the next so your constantly playing catch up. But then I love that it got me thinking. Plus Pattinson can bloody act, seen him in a lot recently and he's incredible.

Soldato
vue shepards bush was 6.99 for vip seats

yes - on a more mundane topic .. just looking online to reserve
- what justifies Cineworld charging ~£12 for a seat in cinemas near cambridge (St Neots) and vue in cambridge is £7, neither of which are imax
(even if tenet action was not shot exclusively with imax cameras , and, I assume, cgi is 'regular' 2K DI too)

Back
Top Bottom