Keyless entry and start not working

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2010 Hyundai IX35 Premium two weeks ago and the keyless entry and start is refusing to work. When I press the button on the front door handles nothing happens, and likewise with the boot. Once inside the car it won’t detect the key and requires me to insert the key in the slot in the centre console. I have two keys and both will unlock/lock the car using the key buttons. So far I’ve tried:
1) Changing the batteries in both fobs twice: first with Energiser batteries, second time with Duracell batteries
2) Checking the fuses in the cab

I ‘ve contacted a few local places who program keys and the general consensus is re-programming the keys won’t help. They all think it’ll be a fault with the antennas / control modules. Any ideas on the best way to self diagnose the keyless entry before I take it to the stealers?

Soldato
Connected my cheap VGate ELM327 Bluetooth scanner. Torque android app didn’t show any fault codes.

I’ve checked all the fuses in the cab, they all appear ok.

What about the ones under the bonnet?

If it were me, I think I’d disconnect the battery for 10 mins, essentially reboot the car. (Make sure you have radio code if you need it)

Associate
just a thought try it at different times of day and night. had this problem when i lived near a cb /radio ham also taxi firms) he was using a powerful amp and it basically fooled vehicles into thinking they were being scanned. also possible that someone is jamming your signal for illegal reasons.also do you have any older cars parked near yours that maybe have older style handsets? sometimes older style alarm /locking handsets when going faulty started to transmit all the time.

had a problem with my mondeo 2009 keyless start unit where the nextdoor nieghbour had a jaguar of similar vintage and always had problems with mine. after i spoke to him one day he parked his car further away on the drive and hey presto mondeo was fine. after that we just kept the cars apart.

Soldato
OP
just a thought try it at different times of day and night. had this problem when i lived near a cb /radio ham also taxi firms) he was using a powerful amp and it basically fooled vehicles into thinking they were being scanned. also possible that someone is jamming your signal for illegal reasons.also do you have any older cars parked near yours that maybe have older style handsets? sometimes older style alarm /locking handsets when going faulty started to transmit all the time.

had a problem with my mondeo 2009 keyless start unit where the nextdoor nieghbour had a jaguar of similar vintage and always had problems with mine. after i spoke to him one day he parked his car further away on the drive and hey presto mondeo was fine. after that we just kept the cars apart.

I don’t think interference is the issue. It doesn’t work and I’ve tried numerous locations including some with remote with no obvious signs of interference.

If it were me, I think I’d disconnect the battery for 10 mins, essentially reboot the car. (Make sure you have radio code if you need it)

Had a quick look under the bonnet, nothing obvious. I’ll have another look later. Not a bad idea about disconnecting the battery for a bit, it looks like it was replaced fairly recently? I’ve disconnected the battery and will leave it for an hour. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Disconnected the negative terminal for 2 hours, no difference :(! Surprisingly my trip computer memory was still there, I would’ve thought that would clear? My aftermarket radio was back to factory settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
The keyless entry/start keys can go out of sync :/

These systems can be a PITA. You won't get any fault codes for an alarm issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The keyless entry/start keys can go out of sync :/

These systems can be a PITA. You won't get any fault codes for an alarm issue.

When you say out of sync, can this be corrected with reprogramming? The key remote buttons still work and it starts the engine in the slot so I’m inclined to think they are programmed. Or are there two stages of programming:
Stage 1: Remote buttons & Console start
Stage 2: Keyless entry & Keyless start

:confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
When you say out of sync, can this be corrected with reprogramming? The key remote buttons still work and it starts the engine so I’m inclined to think they are programmed. Or are there two stages of programming:

I’ve never had a keyless system that wasn’t a case of a simple “it’s programmed” which meant both button based entry and keyless entry worked.

The only two times I’ve had issues with keyless (but remote still worked) was when I had low key batteries, or when the key got wet (wife put it in the washing machine) and I ended up needing to fix a corroded solder joint.

Associate
What's the main car battery voltage like? Stuff like keyless entry can be one of the first systems to shut down if the voltage drops. Does the stop/start work ok?

Soldato
When you say out of sync, can this be corrected with reprogramming? The key remote buttons still work and it starts the engine in the slot so I’m inclined to think they are programmed. Or are there two stages of programming:

I think the keyless bit uses a time based algorithm to keep the car and fob in sync (like the authenticator fobs you get from banks etc). They can screw up sometimes.

Soldato
OP
I think the keyless bit uses a time based algorithm to keep the car and fob in sync (like the authenticator fobs you get from banks etc). They can screw up sometimes.

Ah! How do you get them to re-sync? Both fobs were dead when I first viewed the car and I don’t know how long for.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Update: my local Hyundai have been unable to diagnose my proximity key issue. Apparently reprogramming the keys hasn’t worked and their diagnostics show no fault with the antennas. Apparently Hyundai said there may be an issue with wiring in the headliner but they want 3 hours labour to do this (£350+!) I guess I’ll have to accept the fact the feature will never work :(.

Associate
Where did you buy the car from ?
Did it come with warranty etc - if its only 2 weeks old and you purchased from a retailer you should be able to get them to repair. if you purchased privately (which I'm assuming is the case) you unfortunately will have to pay to get fixed if you want the feature.
Did you check the car over before purchasing too - did it work when you purchased it ?

Soldato
OP
Where did you buy the car from ?
Did it come with warranty etc - if its only 2 weeks old and you purchased from a retailer you should be able to get them to repair. if you purchased privately (which I'm assuming is the case) you unfortunately will have to pay to get fixed if you want the feature.
Did you check the car over before purchasing too - did it work when you purchased it ?

It was purchased from a dealership in Swindon (1.5 hours away) however they’re not responding to emails!

The keys didn’t work when I viewed it, however the said it was the batteries and they’ll change them. The ONE time the car did detect the key was when I started it to drive away, typical. I could try and call them but I seriously question what they could do considering Hyundai wanted to rip the headliner out as a ‘best guess’

I’m really not sure what to do now, it’s incredibly annoying that it’s not working and not even a main dealer could properly diagnose the issue. I do want it resolved but I’m reluctant to chuck more money at it.

Back
Top Bottom