The Exodus has begun!

Soldato
We have enough space but look at the beaches look at the beauty spots on hot days. Absolutely rammed.
That goes for anywhere "well known" and it's a particular problem for the UK in that we rarely have such lovely hot days that people travel in for miles to those spots for some reason. You can guarantee 10mins up the coast in a non-well known spot it'd be empty. It's not like we're lacking in coast is it? :confused:

Caporegime
Oh FFS, this was my plan in the next couple of years. Far fewer people in the position to work from home pre-Covid, now loads of people can and so the sort of places I might have wanted to buy in in couple of years time are in demand and likewise demand for London apartments has dropped a bit...

Soldato
Crazy London prices were always going to cause this. At some point London just won't be able to hire workers on lower wages to things like empty bins and clean the streets. Can't afford property, can't afford to commute in.

Soldato
My daughter also ,she only tolerates the countryside to see her parents ,shes a scientist (dr) and everything seems to be going on there in her eyes, but its the social aspects/vibrancy that she loves most i think

Yes exactly. You're paying for choice. Whatever you're into there is always something going on.

Soldato
Yes exactly. You're paying for choice. Whatever you're into there is always something going on.
It's unbeatable (or was!) for live music of all kinds, shows, quirky venues and all sorts of activities. I still love that part of London.

I just hate living here because it's turning into a massive dump and so many of its inhabitants are selfish asshats. :p

Caporegime
As do I. I find that those who whinge about how much of a dump London is are always of a certain demographic.

Northerners you mean? :p

I lived in London for a year and knew I never wanted to go back there again so did everything i could - plays, art galleries, museums, gigs, restaurants, clubs and enjoyed every minute but was so glad when I moved back to Yorkshire. The actual day to day living and people in London was horrible. I mean you couldn't even strike up a conversation on the tube going to work in a morning.

In a whole year I never even got to know the names of any of the 3 neighbours living in the flats on the same floor as me.

Soldato
The centre of London (the tourist area and places politicians hang out, where the government spends all of our money) is nice, the rest is mostly a pit. Paris is the same.

I'd much rather live in a small town or the countryside and get paid less than have to live/work in London. My employer has a really hard time recruiting people for posts in London, people just don't want to do it anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
The best thing to come out of covid is the chance that London quality jobs in my field may spread out and I can get the hell out of here. It is not the life for me, I did it all for my career.

Caporegime
The best thing to come out of covid is the chance that London quality jobs in my field may spread out and I can get the hell out of here. It is not the life for me, I did it all for my career.

That's my hope too - I do like London but if I want to start a family, settle down etc.. then I want a house outside London... I'm a little bit concerned that the fat slice of equity (like my mortgage is approx 30% LTV at the mo) I currently have in my London flat, which could lead to a nice house in some areas or a completely mortgage free house in other areas is going to be eroded... not looking to sell right now but could do with doing so in a couple of years and it would be annoying to lose a six figure sum as a result...

On the other hand if the economy turns to **** for a few years and everything drops a bit then meh... it's all relative and could still be beneficial for people stepping up the ladder so I'd go for the nice house + mortgage option and take advantage of leverage + eventual recovery and rise in prices again.

Other concern is pay - could have some downward pressure if you don't *need* to live in London or nearby... more competition. On the other hand I was still pondering stuff near London so was thinking I might need something in say the 600K-800K range for a decent family home. If I no longer find the need to even live near London then meh... perhaps the range I'll look for reduces a fair bit and I look at areas where a decent family home (like 4 bedrooms, nice garden etc..) is much more affordable.

Caporegime
London is my absolute worst nightmare. I couldn't imagine living there. But for social people yeah I get it totally.

Almost nothing I value is there. I mean literally nothing

Lots of people
Far from sea, and ones it's near are full of people
Little green space

Caporegime
yes the tourist spots post lockdown are crazy busy ,just had to pay £2.20 this morning for a surf at Polzeath ,gutted :( (usually afew freebie places at 8.15am ) but been single and a surfer i cant think of anywhere else i would rather be ,literally heaven, on earth and thats after walking across pyrannes and across spain last year (The Camino)
but around my area theres nobody around ,apart from the Camel trail at the bottom of my hill
as for pollution i live in a dark sky park status area https://www.darksky.org/bodmin-moor...l-beauty-to-achieve-ida-dark-sky-park-status/ so it cant be that bad ,i can litrally taste the grime when i visit my folks in Yorkshire ;)

I always get jealous of your life.
I'm starting surfing lessons next week actually. Annoying as Porthcawl and South Wales just isn't as good as Cornwall. But it's much better than where I used to live

Just sad I've left it this late. Should have moved here years ago

Associate
They are leaving NY because of the violence\protests and the general scum playing up.
It's that bad that the vacancy rate has gone sky high.

Thats less of an issue, the violence is very isolated and very little protests now. Most people are fed up of paying sky high Manhattan rent and nothing is open so why stay. I know loads of people that have either moved back to parents homes or moved out to a bigger place further out for the same or less they paid in Manhattan.

Soldato
I always get jealous of your life.
I'm starting surfing lessons next week actually. Annoying as Porthcawl and South Wales just isn't as good as Cornwall. But it's much better than where I used to live

Just sad I've left it this late. Should have moved here years ago

If i am been honest im a bodyboarder ,trouble is when you say that people think of tourists in the white water :) have a nice top end NMD board and some decent fins but people always ask when are you going to do proper surfing :) but been doing it decades ,the good thing is no matter how many tourists are in the water only a handful of us are out back .
Its amazing what people will sacrifice to come down here ,my workmate lives in his car ,got fed up of the midlands bought an old Zafira and thats his home ,another one lives in a tent and afew in long term caravan lets.
The best part of the year is coming up where a lot of the tourists depart and the waves become more consistent ,Towan beach on a sunny winters day with a winter swell wrapping around the headland is amazing ,really buzzing atmosphere with all the surf schools out ,i park in mount wise (1 quid all day off season) and walk through the centre in my wetsuit and always get that surreal feeling .

Soldato
Unless what you're into is lakes, mountains, and no people? :p

I think most people think of London as a concrete jungle. There are plenty of green suburbs which are 30mins hop-on ride to central. Nice houses (yes expensive!) With gardens and again 20-30mins drive to m25 and the rest of the UK. It's not a different country lol

Associate
I think most people think of London as a concrete jungle. There are plenty of green suburbs which are 30mins hop-on ride to central. Nice houses (yes expensive!) With gardens and again 20-30mins drive to m25 and the rest of the UK. It's not a different country lol

London is probably the best city in the world to visit. I looked into moving there a number of years back but wanted to live in Zone 1/2 and it just wasn't worth it. Didn't want a painful commute standing on the tube in July by being in Zone 3 and couldn't see the point of Zone 5+. Some nice zone 4 but I'm happy just to visit it now and again.

Soldato
London is probably the best city in the world to visit. I looked into moving there a number of years back but wanted to live in Zone 1/2 and it just wasn't worth it. Didn't want a painful commute standing on the tube in July by being in Zone 3 and couldn't see the point of Zone 5+. Some nice zone 4 but I'm happy just to visit it now and again.

Think I prefer Asian cities, like Bangkok. If you want to have fun, that's the pace to go. Must be nice to live there too in a western salary.

Back
Top Bottom