• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Well in a point for the other side, I've installed every one of the recent driver releases (ie every 20.7 and 20.8) and had no problems on a Vega 56.

Likewise. My Vega 56 has been stable on every version of the drivers I've used since release. (currently on 20.7.2)

Same with my vega 64 but tbh that is expected Vega is mature now I don't think they is much more amd can do with vage apart from help the devs fix harizon zero dawn.

Associate
In fairness stability on my 56 pulse has been ok in recent releases except for 20.8.1 which caused my first black screen in a long time and corrupted the BL3 shader cache twice. I found there was a notable improvement in stability when AMD moved back to a 1-2 releases per month cadence over the spring and summer. We've now had 3 this month following the initial problematic 8.1 release and given their track record, that makes me think they are creating/finding more bugs again, despite the new game support rhetoric. Early days for 8.3 but hopefully it's settled down again and 8.1 was just a blip.

Soldato
There not proper driver releases just releases for some certain games coming out and amd needed to push some optimisations out for em. Thats all their for, them type of drivers. The proper drivers, ppl should wait for is the whql ones as there more rare, well imo i think.

Associate
There not proper driver releases just releases for some certain games coming out and amd needed to push some optimisations out for em. Thats all their for, them type of drivers. The proper drivers, ppl should wait for is the whql ones as there more rare, well imo i think.
WHQL drivers are just the culmination of all the beta drivers that come in between them and submitted to microsoft for certification. There's nothing fundamentally different between them or the beta versions - they can all contain new game enhancements, bug fixes and a lengthy list of known issues. And being WHQL doesnt guarantee better stability or performance on your platform than beta versions I have found. In theory, each newer version released should get better (whether beta or WHQL) but as we see all too often, one bug goes out and another comes in and sometimes they get worse. The last WHQL version was 20.4.2 and before that 20.2.2, 19.10.1 & 19.9.2 so who knows what drives AMD's certification schedule as all over the place. I suspect they know when drivers wont cut the mustard and so dont submit them. Personally I always install every new release in the hope of improvements and finding a worthy successor to 19.12.1. Most of the time there is no benefit and sometimes they cause issues but I've rarely had to back a version out

Soldato
I know all that but i still like to get them as they have been best for me, i really dont like using optional drivers especially if they come out in quick succession like one after the other as lets face it how much testing was done on those if 3 come out within a month?

Associate
I know all that but i still like to get them as they have been best for me, i really dont like using optional drivers especially if they come out in quick succession like one after the other as lets face it how much testing was done on those if 3 come out within a month?
Dont disagree with the strategy - the risk associated with such a rapid release cycle was zactly my original point on previous page. However I'm a strange combination of sceptic and optimist who likes to play AMD driver roulette in the vain hope that one day I'm going to be blown away :D

Soldato
Ok just as a experiment ive moved to latest optional to see if there ok to be fair to em tho im not gona lie i probs wont and will want to go back to the last whql ones but for now ill give em a weeks trial. Btw ive noticed a new feature. Go to gfx then expand the advance one where you can set aa and af, have a look next to opengl triple buff, is that 10bit compatible line a new option as i dont think it was there on the whql ones i had. Mine says disabled but in display it says 10bpc so i wonder should i turn it on or will it mess my display after a reboot?

Associate
20.8.3 seems slightly smoother and faster so far, but the best thing (for me) was lowering the temps that have been plaguing me since 20.4.2, I can have my extreme OCs again at max voltage without having to worry about it throttling — so far max temp 2h stresstest at 1.2v was ~70c core and ~95c hotspot (used to hit 110c and throttle in 20s) :cool:

Soldato
Just a quick update from me and my 5600XT.

I'm still having black screen lock ups and crashing even after the changes/remediation methods I tried which included disabling/removing my keyboard software, unplugging the USB cable to the monitor and changing DP ports on the graphics card itself. This is on driver versions 20.8.1 & 20.8.2 but I have had the same issue on versions dating back to original drivers supporting the 5600XT in January.

As a last roll of the dice I have removed all of the Radeon software/drivers and done a manual driver update through Device Manager to the 20.7.1 drivers which I am hoping will do the trick as I really don't fancy trying to return the card (I bought the card from another vendor so would be unsure whether it would still be best to go through them or deal directly with Powercolor as the card is 4 months old.)

I will see how things go and report back.

Soldato
Diablo 3 run terrible on a 5700XT compared to a my FuryX, most other games have been boosted by the upgrade. My FuryX got 60fps locked but the 5700 has lots of stutter, at one point it was having a hard time getting over 30fps. Using HWiNFO shows the clock speed never goes over 850Mhz so it looks like a power saving issue?

Soldato
Diablo 3 run terrible on a 5700XT compared to a my FuryX, most other games have been boosted by the upgrade. My FuryX got 60fps locked but the 5700 has lots of stutter, at one point it was having a hard time getting over 30fps. Using HWiNFO shows the clock speed never goes over 850Mhz so it looks like a power saving issue?

go to your profile for Diablo 3 in the Radeon software(under gaming next to the big Home tab). Then click "Tune Game Performance". Then lock your GPU to max clock frequency to prevent downclocking. I found this guide for it that should help explain how. I don't have a 5000 series card so locking clocks is different for me with my Vega 64.

Back
Top Bottom