Shoe string budget second hand upgrade

Soldato
Thinking of trying to bring my pc up to date after many years but on a minimal budget. Want to be able to play warzone comfortably on it but am very out of the loop with current system.
Got monitors (altho want to go 1080p eventually) and HDD/SDD. Will probably reuse me current case (cm 690 II advanced) and have an enermax modular 500w psu but don't know if this will cut the mustard.
Have been looking at b450 motherboards passing through the MM and from what I gather 16gb ddr4 is pretty much standard nowadays?
Gpus I have no clue. I currently have an 8800gt (bang for buck midrange king of its day) but I'm guessing that won't run mspaint these days and don't even know it will still fit in a newer motherboard?
CPU wise, I'm aiming for a Ryzen (always been and fanboy, current running x4 phenom @Just over 4ghz) but should I be aiming for a Ryzen 3 or a 5? Ryzen 2 or 3? Finding their naming structure a little misleading and unsure which way I should be looking.

Any help would be appreciated

Soldato
I think going for a system based around a ryzen 5 3600 would give you the best compromise between price/performance with one of the new A520 motherboards. I would shop around on the 3600 as you can definetly save some cash there.

I would definetly replace the psu as you don't want a fail to damage any of your new stuff.

For the GPU a 1660super is a good card if buying new but you might be able to pick up a used GTX1070 which has similar performance for cheaper.

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £617.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
Second hand 3600, B450 Tomahawk or equivalent decent enough board and 16GB of at least DD4 3000Mhz memory. I still have a few posts to go before I can access the MM so can't see what that sorta thing is going for, but if you could get a package like that from someone who has upgraded, that'd be a really good second hand buy.

Man of Honour
I did this recently for the wifes build. It's amazing what sort of system you can build on the cheap. I managed to get a second hand 2700x, Super cheap b450, 16gb of 3200mhz DDR4 from china, nvme, rx470 and a full cpu custom loop (also from china), new corsair case etc and all for about £450. It's was actually a really capable little machine but I ended up putting a 3600 in there instead of the 2700x.

Soldato
OP
Well there's a b450 and 16gb ddr4 I'm
I did this recently for the wifes build. It's amazing what sort of system you can build on the cheap. I managed to get a second hand 2700x, Super cheap b450, 16gb of 3200mhz DDR4 from china, nvme, rx470 and a full cpu custom loop (also from china), new corsair case etc and all for about £450. It's was actually a really capable little machine but I ended up putting a 3600 in there instead of the 2700x.
This is the kind of thing I think, only a bit less as my disposable income is very limited...
There's an Asus board on the MM I'm looking at but I don't know what's good and what not for the price

Associate
I woul agree with some points here. Based on an extremely low budget i would look at the A520 platform.

Then get yourself a 3300x (For £100 its a great 4core cpu) I also seen that AMD has discretely launched 3gb low power GPUs the RX5300. reckon they will drop in around the £130 mark and just go with 8gb ram.

Yes the majority have 16gb.. but you are on a very limited budget so 9GB will still be fine, considering your not yet using 1080p, probably on 720p monitor then go with things like 16gb and a 3600 are just complete overkill.

The difference between the 2 cpu for your needs dont justift double the price

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3300X/4040vs4076

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ba-VgMGn8

Man of Honour
Well there's a b450 and 16gb ddr4 I'm

This is the kind of thing I think, only a bit less as my disposable income is very limited...
There's an Asus board on the MM I'm looking at but I don't know what's good and what not for the price

It can be done! just took about a month for me to get all the parts. Literally any b450 will run pretty much any chip you don't really need to worry at all, sure some boards will hold a chip back a little bit but ive ran the 2700x in a asrock b450m-hdv and it was fine. That board I found new for £42. The 16gb of memory from china was £35 and runs perfectly at 3200mhz. The GPU I picked up for less than £40, case was cheap, fans were silly cheap. Basically a proper sub £500 build, I even cheaped out on the case, its a corsair carbide 275r but has a acrylic rather than glass side and was about £40. Runs most games perfectly even at 3440x1440. This is what I ended up building:

The loop cost £75 all in so if you take that off its a sub £400 build. When you go cheap you can't be too fussy so pick up whatever is cheap. Throw up a few wanted threads for cheap am4 ryzen 2000 series and see what comes up :) This is basically the most fun I had building a system, because I didn't really care as everything was so cheap I ended up spraying everything and messing about while bits came so ended up looking pretty good, even if my pipe bending skills suck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom