• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So many of you sound like you're getting your excuses in early.

"It doesn't matter that AMD did x,y,z this generation.. people weren't going to buy AMD cards anyhow. A plague on both your houses! /rips off shirt"

If AMD doesn't have a worthwhile option at all at any bracket, then of course they don't deserve market share. Thing is I've seen plenty of people ignoring much better performance/dollar option just because the card had the wrong color... That said it doesn't mean everyone will think this way but plenty will and that is just silly. Would be like saying that the GTX 970 was a bad purchase because Nvidia is E.V.I.L. corp. Even with its ram fiasco, it was a solid and wallet-friendly gaming card.

Soldato
They do as Navi is efficient. However,most Ryzen laptops with a dGPU come with a Nvidia dGPU. It is ridiculous,they couldn't get the RX5700M,RX5600M and RX5500M into more Ryzen laptops.
They didn't get them out in time , and left a large hole filled by RTX supers which is mad, they missed loads of sales because of it.

Thing is, I'm fairly sure they need a solid Desktop product first to sway OEMs to take the leap. If they had created Ryzen for laptops first instead of desktop and gone straight to OEMs they would have been laughed out the building with fingers pointing to the FX series. So my guess is their work on APUs and Navi Gen 2 will pave the road for them to get their mobile GPUs into laptops if their solutions are actually any good.

Soldato
Your talking like 32GB of RAM is cheap *double checks RAM prices* Hold up, Why has the price dropped so much in the past few months?:confused: I guess now is the time to buy if people are looking to "future proof":p.

Regarding you other statement that would be because Windows OS is large than a consoles OS and people generally have apps running in the background. (Yes i know some of you don't but some people do)

Most people are anticipating that future AAA games will utilise the consoles fast SSD, so we may see more transfers happening over the PCIE bus, or developes will just increase the RAM requirements for PC ports. We will have to wait and see.

Yeah i guess he forgot about the 3060. But his point was mainly on the price i assume.
The prices of ram have dropped and it's said to continue to decline until 2021. So now is the time to buy the lowest latency, highest speed ram that your motherboard can handle. Even though we aren't being price gauged on ram it's still an added cost. And I didn't mention DDR5 looming around the corner, in what late 2021?

Correct on the OS overhead, not sure why we have to still explain that in 2020 though. But any attempt at a counter will do.
Correct on developers taking advantage of consoles Uarch.
As for the 3060, I only see that as a budget option at 1080p only. At 1440p+ resolution I've sorted the skus starting with the x70, x80 and 80ti. With the x70 being the lowest end of the 3. I haven't consider a x60 a viable option for Ultra settings, 1440p gaming. That's why I didn't include the x60.

Last edited:
Soldato
They didn't get them out in time , and left a large hole filled by RTX supers which is mad, they missed loads of sales because of it.

The Renoir laptops came out this year and they didn't even get many design wins with those!

Thing is, I'm fairly sure they need a solid Desktop product first to sway OEMs to take the leap. If they had created Ryzen for laptops first instead of desktop and gone straight to OEMs they would have been laughed out the building with fingers pointing to the FX series. So my guess is their work on APUs and Navi Gen 2 will pave the road for them to get their mobile GPUs into laptops if their solutions are actually any good.

Even in the ATI days,AMD still got laptop wins with series such as the 2000 and HD3000,which were behind on desktop. Things have really gone downhill with laptops in the last 5~6 years.

I mean look at how they have only released their GTX1650 competitor,ie,the RX5300 only recently.

Soldato
The Renoir laptops came out this year and they didn't even get many design wins with those!

Even in the ATI days,AMD still got laptop wins with series such as the 2000 and HD3000,which were behind on desktop. Things have really gone downhill with laptops in the last 5~6 years.

I mean look at how they have only released their GTX1650 competitor,ie,the RX5300 only recently.

im really surprised how slow amd is with Navi 1. Nvidia has been pumping out new scalable cards with what seems like ease and for AMD they seem really slow to the task, AMD still has no replace for the RX580

Soldato
If AMD doesn't have a worthwhile option at all at any bracket, then of course they don't deserve market share. Thing is I've seen plenty of people ignoring much better performance/dollar option just because the card had the wrong color... That said it doesn't mean everyone will think this way but plenty will and that is just silly. Would be like saying that the GTX 970 was a bad purchase because Nvidia is E.V.I.L. corp. Even with its ram fiasco, it was a solid and wallet-friendly gaming card.

It doesn't need everyone to to think that way just a majority, the competitor to the GTX 970 was the R9 390 which was arguably the better card it certainly had more Vram - 8gb of the stuff, I had one, it was great - and yet 9 out of 10 still bought nvidia.

The GPU war is over, people need to accept it Nvidia won in the high end at least, AMD if they've any sense shouldn''t be wasting their time with it anymore. Its not about who has the best card/performance even ATI when they were beating nvidia were still outsold by their rival its about who holds the mindshare, the image people have of whats the prestige brand the "best" brand in the average joe's mind and thats Nvidia and thats whats so insidious and corrosive to AMD's sales.

Soldato
And this is the problem with brand loyalty. They think they are on the "right side" because they believe one side is winning vs the other. Claiming a victory between a duopoly is simply silly. As a consumer you primary focus is how well the product or service offered and at what price point it's being offered.

Take a look around you. What use to be a grand forest of PC gaming is nothing more then an orchard of trees with the imagination of thinking they are forest. Claiming some level of victory over their own brand.

An orchard is an intentional plantation of trees or shrubs that is maintained for food production.

When you look at the gaming market (console) as a whole it dwarfs the orchard claiming some victory within it's own hive mind. LOL
You need RTG to continue competing against nvidia more then you realize. Because anything less simply sway developers to stop making more games accessible to PC.

:D

Soldato
im really surprised how slow amd is with Navi 1. Nvidia has been pumping out new scalable cards with what seems like ease and for AMD they seem really slow to the task, AMD still has no replace for the RX580

The RX5600XT is technically the replacement for the RX580,in fact I would argue if you look at the die size(both around 250MM2),the RX5700XT is the true RX580/RX590 replacement. Remember,there was a leak of the RX5700XT Anniversary edition being called the RX690.
If you look at that way,the RX5700XT was 72% faster than the RX590:
https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/images/relative-performance_2560-1440.png

If you look at the power consumption of the RX5700XT,its around RX580/RX590 level power consumption:
https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/images/power-gaming-average.png

The issue is AMD decided to push up the price,to compete with the RTX2070 as they probably expected Turing to be a larger generational uplift. Its a shame they didn't sell the RX5700XT at launch for £300~£350,and the RX5700 at £250,because I suspect it would have been harder for Nvidia to drop the price. It would have sold better,ie,would be a more price comparable replacement for the RX500 series. By the time the RX5600XT had arrived,Nvidia had launched the GTX1660 Super and dropped the price of the RTX2060.

Associate
They do as Navi is efficient. However,most Ryzen laptops with a dGPU come with a Nvidia dGPU. It is ridiculous,they couldn't get the RX5700M,RX5600M and RX5500M into more Ryzen laptops.

haha didn’t even know mobile versions existed.

anyway, we know what Nvidia has got now. Either amd can match or beat it at various price points or it can’t.

Associate

Takes time to design and build cards.
Research has a cost.
AMD has had focus on zen which now have freed up resources for the radeon side.
RDNA2 and Big Dog Navi is the first step towards adding RT which still is a gimmick with RTX.

Anyhow as Kyle (Hardocp) stated about RTX and games and what you should buy

https://twitter.com/KyleBennett/status/1299709532462088194?s=20

Soldato
See, this is what so annoys me about PC graphics cards and why they're ultimately such a waste of money at the higher end.

My 2080 has more TFLOPS, and almost certainly more RT performance, than the new PS5 and yet it has never, and never will be pushed to produce these kind of visuals, as seen in this video.

PC dev studios just don't have the resources or inclination to even try it any more.

In the near two years I've owned the 2080, I bet its real capabilities have barely even been touched upon.

I'm not sure what people see so special at Ratchet and Clank, but anyway...

Xbox One X has about 6TF, your card is just shy of double that. Going from 30fps to 60fps, you kinda need 2x the performance. So there you go, you get your extra performance returned in the form of FPS and sometimes extra image quality.

Soldato
Mind me asking what issue did you have with the drivers? Personally never had an issue with drivers on my 1070.

Pink boxes in dying light , Black water in Insurgency and a few others, SOM had lots of missing textures ect to name a few.
The desktop perf was also ***** at the time compared to what it was on AMD. Did try all sorts to resolve gave up in end and went AMD, Not looked back.

It's why a chuckle to myself when I read "Nvidia drivers don;t have problems"

pink%20boxes.png

white%20trees.png

still.png

BOTH have issues at times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom