PC amplifier for Q Acoustic passive speaker

Associate
hello,

hoping someone might be able to help please!

Recently built a PC and I'm moving away from console gaming in the living room to PC gaming upstairs. Downstairs i have a Q Acoustic 5.1 set attached to a Denon amplifier. I would like to try and replicate that as best i can upstairs. I've had a search round and options seem limited so thought i would ask in here!

My PC is attached to its monitor via displayport so running it through a HDMI amplifier is no good. I think from the research i have done a USB amplifier will be my best bet? Although 5.1 is the utopic outcome i would also be interested to hear about 2.1 and 2.0 solutions

The speakers i have in mind are Q Acoustics 3000 or 7000 series. i have used the 3000 series as stated and they've always served me well so would like to stick with this brand.

thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

Soldato
My PC is attached to its monitor via displayport so running it through a HDMI amplifier is no good. I think from the research i have done a USB amplifier will be my best bet? Although 5.1 is the utopic outcome i would also be interested to hear about 2.1 and 2.0 solutions
If your ideal is 5.1 but not as far as 7.1, wouldn't optical/spdif be to a AV receiver be sufficient?

You can connect from your PC motherboard (or sound card if you got one) to the receiver with a optical cable instead of HDMI.

Associate
Have a look at Edifier S350DB - 2.1 but have a look at the reviews, you may find this is sufficient. I'm really happy with it for my PC sound.

Associate
OP
If your ideal is 5.1 but not as far as 7.1, wouldn't optical/spdif be to a AV receiver be sufficient?

You can connect from your PC motherboard (or sound card if you got one) to the receiver with a optical cable instead of HDMI.

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately no optical/spdif available on my motherboard and would prefer not to go down installing a sound card if i can help it. it is another option to consider though.

Associate
OP
Have a look at Edifier S350DB - 2.1 but have a look at the reviews, you may find this is sufficient. I'm really happy with it for my PC sound.

thank you i'll take a look but really on the lookout for amplifier recommendations rather than speakers. I'm pretty set on the speakers tbh.

Soldato
HDMI would be better connection to an AV receiver if your motherboard has that. If not, then you could use HDMI from your GPU, but I'm not sure whether doing that will interfere with your monitor set up. Optical is another way to get 5.1, but if you'd rather not get a sound card, then that rules that out.

You can use USB to an amplifier, but that will only give you stereo.

Soldato
I use Q Acoustics 3010s with an SMSL AD-18 amp/DAC which connects via USB, it's 2.0 however. I previously used a Topping VX1 amp/DAC too which was great until one of the relays died after a few years. the SMSL was what I replaced it with.

Back
Top Bottom