Organising spices

Soldato
I just bought a load of 150ml jars from The Range, 89p a pop, and £1 for a pack of labels.
yes clear tops would be easy for 'top' picking ... pity, you can't get clear aftermarket tops for the schwarz/others jars

black-board labels look good though.

Associate
I bought several dozen 70ml Kilner jars, 24 fit in one box with lid, 3 fit nicely stacked in the top shelf of an under counter cupboard allowing me to organise herbs from seeds and spices by region/cuisine too, not take up much space and everything is pretty close and easy to find. They're big enough but not so big that you keep anything for too long. The high volume items, Turmeric etc are in bigger kilner jars in the same cupboard, I vacuum pack any excess and keep any that can be frozen there until needed. My chilli's take up 2 more boxes but then I tend to keep a good stock of 12+ dried chillis at all times, mostly Mexican funnily enough and the 1kg of Anchos live in a protein shake jar because it was empty and the right size and would have been thrown out otherwise.

Associate
Thanks for the interesting thread everyone. Was surprised to see so many people storing herbs & spices in glass. Was under the impression that light degraded the shelf life of herbs & spices.
Am I wrong on this?

Back
Top Bottom