Use MAC to identify unknown hardware

Soldato
I’ve been looking into my UDM statistics and was alarmed to see an unidentified device has downloaded gigabytes of data. Couldn’t say if it’s been transferred over the network and/ or from the Internet.

I’ve blocked it but I’d really like to find out what the hell it is especially as since I blocked it, there’s been no issues with anything plugged into my network. The unknown device also appears to be using Lets Encrypt which is worrying.

I only have a MAC address to go with. Is there any way to identify a piece of hardware from just the MAC address?

Any other pointers and advice would be appreciated too.

Associate
There are a few sites that will usually list the manufacturer, if you search mac vendors or mac address lookup and just pop it in to one of those sites.

I did it a while back when there was a few unknowns and it turned out to be legit things that I completely forgot about.

Soldato
OP
Never mind. Finally sussed it out. It was a docker on my server. This explains the unrecognised MAC. The only strange thing is that the docker still worked when Blocked on the UDM. At least I know what it is now!

Back
Top Bottom