• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Def wont talk about size and heat thats for sure!
Indeed :)

8Gb cards have been around for a long time now. You certainly should be getting 12 or 16Gb when you buy a mid+ range card in late 2020.

Exactly. This is why it is very disappointing to see all these rumours about 8gb on a 3070 when it should be 16gb as a minimum now. Happy if they give us the choice though. 8gb variant $449 and 16gb $499.

That's why I'm willing to wait for something like Cyberpunk to launch first before I make a purchase.
Ideally I want to play from day 1, but I may do the same as delivery will be only a day or two later. Can play potato settings in the mean time. Or play on my partners 1440p panel we recently go which is freesync 2.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Exactly. This is why it is very disappointing to see all these rumours about 8gb on a 3070 when it should be 16gb as a minimum now. Happy if they give us the choice though. 8gb variant $449 and 16gb $499.

The 1060 had 3Gb and 6Gb variants so if the board partners can change that it wont be as bad as the initial offering looks.

Associate
I'm just wanting to put my two cents in on the whole Vram discussion... in no way am I defending Nvidia but these are my points:

1, do I think Nvidia have done the absolute minimum to show some sort of 'improvement'? Of course.. we've been stuck on 8GB now since mid 2016, 4 1/2 years later we've only got a 2gb bump... this should definitely be a 12gb card minimum...

2, do I think we're all looking into it a little too much on the whole 10gb Vram? I think so... don't get me wrong I would pick up a 12/16gb Vram 3080 at the same price as a 10gb one however... I've been playing games at 4k since 2015 now and the best card I've ever owned is a Titan Xp (3840 version) now I did see some games utilise 11gb and some games close to 12gb now did those games NEED the whole 12gb? No, they ran perfectly fine on my 11gb 1080 Ti and 8gb 1080 ( I've owned a lot of different gpus) plus the majority of users are still at 1440p which this card will be great for 144hz

3, if the price reflects the fact its got 10gb and it offers a solid performance increase over the 2080 Ti I'd be happy... what I won't be happy with is if Nvidia try to release it at £800 ideally I want the 3080 to cost no more than £675 (optimistic I know!) And I'll be happy.

Associate
From a completely selfish standpoint and on the bright side, the 3080 being what it is and not significantly better than the 2080ti with less memory, should keep the used value of my 2080ti up for a bit!! Win win!

Soldato
They are also ignoring that this is a brand new type of VRAM that they don't understand.
Ah yes, the Fury X argument. How did those cards age again? :)

You have as much VRAM as you have. It doesn't matter what it is - once you require more of it than is physically present, you're done (or your performance is). What the VRAM is and its specs are irrelevant at that point, since you're dipping out of it over the PCIe bus and that becomes the (gigantic) bottleneck. A slightly tweaked GDDR6 sure isn't going to be the magical, reality-defying new technology to somehow change that. If it was, Nvidia wouldn't be putting 24GB of it on the 3090 or preparing a 20GB 3080 model, because they wouldn't need to.

The point about what games request versus what they require is sound enough though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm just wanting to put my two cents in on the whole Vram discussion... in no way am I defending Nvidia but these are my points:

1, do I think Nvidia have done the absolute minimum to show some sort of 'improvement'? Of course.. we've been stuck on 8GB now since mid 2016, 4 1/2 years later we've only got a 2gb bump... this should definitely be a 12gb card minimum...

2, do I think we're all looking into it a little too much on the whole 10gb Vram? I think so... don't get me wrong I would pick up a 12/16gb Vram 3080 at the same price as a 10gb one however... I've been playing games at 4k since 2015 now and the best card I've ever owned is a Titan Xp (3840 version) now I did see some games utilise 11gb and some games close to 12gb now did those games NEED the whole 12gb? No, they ran perfectly fine on my 11gb 1080 Ti and 8gb 1080 ( I've owned a lot of different gpus) plus the majority of users are still at 1440p which this card will be great for 144hz

3, if the price reflects the fact its got 10gb and it offers a solid performance increase over the 2080 Ti I'd be happy... what I won't be happy with is if Nvidia try to release it at £800 ideally I want the 3080 to cost no more than £675 (optimistic I know!) And I'll be happy.
Yea, if they can keep the 3080 price under £700 I would consider picking it up myself. It may just happen due to competition. I know people don’t think so, but it may.

Just image if we see that happen, people will be like OMG bargain and the internet will be singing the praises of nvidia to no end, lol.

Soldato
Yea, if they can keep the 3080 price under £700 I would consider picking it up myself. It may just happen due to competition. I know people don’t think so, but it may.

Just image if we see that happen, people will be like OMG bargain and the internet will be singing the praises of nvidia to no end, lol.
AMD needs to deliver this time round and or it will be another round of milking sadly, i honestly hope they pull something out of the bag this time and not another radeon 7 disappointment.

Associate
currently have a ryzen 9 3900x and a 2080 super GPU, if i were to change to a new 3000 series nvidia card, would the cpu compliment it ok, or any bottlenecking issues ? im looking to get good performance with cyberpunk and upcoming next gen games

Associate
currently have a ryzen 9 3900x and a 2080 super GPU, if i were to change to a new 3000 series nvidia card, would the cpu compliment it ok, or any bottlenecking issues ? im looking to get good performance with cyberpunk and upcoming next gen games

Definitely will not be bottlenecked... especially at high resolutions.

Soldato
the 3900x will in no way bottleneck any future gpu for at least a couple of gens i reckon.

Associate
ok thanks, good to know, i may trade in the 2080 super for a new nvidia 3000, what about upcoming cpus ? be a bit crazy changing it to a upcoming ryzen ? as i just upgraded in march around lockdown time, i felt it was a good decision at the time

Soldato
ok thanks, good to know, i may trade in the 2080 super for a new nvidia 3000, what about upcoming cpus ? be a bit crazy changing it to a upcoming ryzen ? as i just upgraded in march around lockdown time, i felt it was a good decision at the time

Pointless you will only be looking at around 10-15% for ryzen 4000 series and that will be at multithread not gaming. Gaming won't see much if any difference for at least the next few generations of CPU's. Perhaps even longer as resolutions start to increase in years to come.

3900x is plenty for the next 3 years or likely even longer. Even 4 core 7700k 5GHz holds its own even in todays age.

Soldato
It's very, very poorly optimized. 2600x, 32GB RAM, rtx 2080, can't really play @60fps in 1080p low settings. :)
I wouldn't say that as it looks amazing compared to any other flight sims.it really is a next gen flight sim
Even before it was released just looking at the youtube video's of the sim and i knew there was no way that sim was going be hitting 60fps at max settings

Even some the pictures in this new FS 2020 screenshot & video thread is unreal
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...sfs-2020-enthusiasts-flight-simmers.18896221/

Last edited:
Soldato

I completely agree. Probably get shot down in flames again but if games needed 12gb cards they wouldnt be selling 10gb, 8gb, 6gb cards. When I play a game I dont watch how much VRAM it uses I`m too busy playing the game, and if it didnt play smooth or how I wanted it then I would be looking at a new card. This hasnt happened for years if not a decade. This is just my opinion and experience which I am entitled to. If you dont agree thats fine.

Associate

The issue is just how good will the 3070 be... if the rumours are true (2080 Ti performance hopefully around £500) do we NEED more performance than that? I think 90% of us would agree and say that's enough... however I'm just looking back at previous X80 cards vs previous gen Ti cards it looks like the 3080 could be the best jump in recent history... let's start with Kepler... I won't be including clock speeds but rather pure specs of each GPU. Also my performance figures are at launch and not after a year where drivers have matured and there's new games etc..

GTX 780 Ti - 2880 cuda cores 7.1 billion transistors, 48 Rops 336gb/s bandwidth

GTX 980 - 2048 cuda cores 5.2 billion transistors 64 Rops 224gb/s bandwidth. 10% faster on average on release with 40% less cuda cores 36% less transistors 33% more Rops 50% less bandwidth.

GTX 980 Ti - 2816 cuda cores 8 billion transistors 96 Rops 336gb/s bandwidth.

GTX 1080 - 2560 cuda cores, 7.2 billion transistors 64 Rops 320gb/s bandwidth - 30% faster with 11% less cuda cores 11% less transistors 50% less Rops 5% less bandwidth.

GTX 1080 Ti - 3584 cuda cores, 12 billion transistors, 88 Rops, 484gb/s bandwidth.

RTX 2080 - 2944 cuda cores 13.6 billion transistors, 64 Rops 448gb/s bandwidth. Roughly 5% faster with 21% less cuda cores 13% more transistors 37% less Rops 8% less bandwidth.

RTX 2080 Ti - 4352 cuda cores 18.6 Billion transistors, 88 Rops 616gb/s bandwidth.

RTX 3080 - 4352 cuda cores *34.5 billion transistors* #number of rops? *760gb/s bandwidth* same amount of cuda cores, 85% more transistors, 23% more bandwidth.

What to take away from this? Previous X80 cards exceeded the performance of the previous gen Ti cards with much less resources whereas this time the 3080 exceeds the 2080 Ti everywhere other than drawing equal on the cuda cores and we don't know how many Rops it has... therefor I'm confident and I will be shocked if this card doesn't have a 35% performance uplift over the 2080 Ti...

I was bored and wanted to kill some time :p

Soldato
I completely agree. Probably get shot down in flames again but if games needed 12gb cards they wouldnt be selling 10gb, 8gb, 6gb cards. When I play a game I dont watch how much VRAM it uses I`m too busy playing the game, and if it didnt play smooth or how I wanted it then I would be looking at a new card. This hasnt happened for years if not a decade. This is just my opinion and experience which I am entitled to. If you dont agree thats fine.

I agree with you here.

I think 10Gb is absolutely enough for most people in regards to their gaming needs. As steam showed the other day the VAST majority 65.48% of it's users still use 1080p for gaming. At this resolution with 10GB and even 2560x1440 you can quite happily cater to the memory requirements of 99.9% of current games. And even when those games would like more there are naturally software systems in place to manage the memory appropriately to what is needing it the most. Plus this vram i believe is a lot faster this time around? that will also help.

Back
Top Bottom