How to find a good tradesperson?

Soldato
So as most of you likely know I received life altering injuries in 2018 which has severely effected my mobility.

We have quite a bit of decorating work that needs doing that I'm no longer capable of and are struggling to find a painter and decorator. I've tried searching on Facebook for recommendations but of people who've said they'll come out to give a quote etc they've either not shown up or quoted a set amount without seeing what needs to be done. I don't trust that!

So how do you guys go about finding a good trades person?

(If anyone is a good painter and decorator and is in the Liverpool area, please make yourself known)

Soldato
Your best bet is speaking to family / friends or even your neighbours if they've had work done recently.

One thing that's been mentioned a lot in the forum is that the good trades people are always the busiest so you may have to persist.

Associate
I've used a these ( trust a tradesman websites ) a couple of times , never again. Most of them are self learned idiots how do not have clue. Avoid and go for friends and family recommendations.

Associate
These days, Facebook, Nextdoor and the local community handbook that comes monthly have proved the most reliable.

Also used MyBuilder when we moved to a new area and didn't know anyone to ask for recommendations. That was a bit hit and miss. Don't use it now.

Soldato
I use facebook - it's the best purpose for it. But I don't post asking for quotes. I post to the local 'chat' group and ask for personal recommendations from people who have used a trader of the type I need, and have been pleased with their work.

I've had very good results using that approach for plasterers, decorators, plumbers, electricians, garden landscapers, pest control, and fireplace fitters!

You still get the odd one that is terrible at organising themselves and does something like dropping off the planet after supplying a quote. But you'll usually get 2 or 3 strong recommendations so you can just move on to the next.

Soldato
In my experience, mybuilder checkatrade etc. are not reliable. Seems like most of the reviews are done by family/mates.

Have you tried the website nextdoor.co.uk ? It's a bit like a local community facebook, a good way to ask people nearby for recommendations or search previous similar questions. Have to be a bit careful of the same mates/cousins recommendations, but it's a bit easier to trace on there.

Soldato
I always use the local Facebook group as it tends to be recommendations directly from people in the local area who have had work carried out.

The bad ones get rooted out pretty quickly here as most live local and have a reputation to uphold and also realise the importance of word of mouth of these social media groups.

Associate
Local Facebook group for me now. Anyone who gets a lot if recommendations gets the job

I used trust a trader a few years back looking for a roofer. Ended up taking him to court and sending the bailiffs round to get my money back from a total cowboy job.

Associate
Good tradesmen are normally so busy they can't answer the phone. They will also like to pick and choose jobs. If you can make good money in one place, why would you travel to multiple different jobs for the same cash? Small jobs tend to be ignored.

Also, people get put off when they have to wait and instead go for someone who is available who isn't very good.

Soldato
We've used Checkatrade a few times with mixed results including two different dreadful electricians.

The best are almost invariably word of mouth and busy. The builders we used recently have no web presence whatsoever. We only found out of their existence from the superb work they did on our opposite neighbour's house. It was five months between booking them and the job starting. They were amazing.

Asking round friends, family and colleagues for personal reccomendations is where I would start.

Man of Honour
Local facebook groups seem to be the way to go these days, remember you can also search history on these to find people who have asked similar questions before. You'll pretty soon build a picture of who is being consistently recommended by multiple people over a period of time.

Associate
Facebook groups sound a good place to go, but I have no idea how to find a good one. Searching the area I live in, the only groups I get are official council ones, or they're full of spam with no real people posting things.

Associate
Facebook groups sound a good place to go, but I have no idea how to find a good one. Searching the area I live in, the only groups I get are official council ones, or they're full of spam with no real people posting things.

What about any local buy and sell groups?

Back
Top Bottom