I'm starting to see the appeal

Man of Honour
I've never really been a cyclist. My first memorable experience as a kid was with a heavy Chopper in the 1970's. I loved the bike but it was heavy, slow and living in a hilly area I never loved cycling itself. I've had a few bikes in my adult life including a very good Kona that I gave to my brother when he was hard on his luck in the 2000's. He needed transport to get to work because he couldn't afford to fix his car at the time. He still has it although he now has a collection of bikes (his fortunes changed and he's paid off his mortgage this week too). But cycling never quite "gelled" with me back then. A few years ago I bought a cheap Voodoo hybrid of some kind to join my son on a few rides but since he's now older he has been riding his bike with friends. So that came to a halt and it has sat on the wall of my garage for the last few years.

This week week I dusted it down so I can join my daughter to show her the way to her new school and I've been really enjoying it. So each evening after work I've been out on the road for an hour. I'll admit I rarely look forward to the ride before I start. But once I'm on the bike I've been thoroughly loving it. I now have a very sore bum, tired legs and am sitting here looking into better road bikes.

Associate
Sometimes the hardest challenge can simply be getting out of the door, it's extremely rare for me to come back off a ride and wish I hadn't bothered.

Agreed. If you put the least amount of barriers in place before getting on the saddle I find I'm more likely to get on the bike. As soon as I'm on the saddle and turning out of my street, I'm already enjoying myself immensely!

A road bike with drop bars makes it even more enjoyable!

Associate
I find that I easily make excuses not to go out. Dont think about it and just go.
I only have a Voodoo MTB, which I've made kind of hybrid. Considered a road/gravel bike, but to be honest if you're doing it to get out and exercise, it doesn't matter what sort of bike you have.
Build your confidence and maybe look at some sales later in the year.

Soldato
It is so easy to put barriers in the way but it's always worth getting out . Managed a wee hour tonight and my legs felt awful for the first half.

My body/position on the bike feels better when pushing on :confused:.

Sunday pedal with coffee tomorrow to end the week.

Sometimes it's better to go out with no computer to just take in the scenery on offer.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks all. Yes it's great when I'm on it. I'll still with my current bike for a while and look out for deals later in the year.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The hardest bit is the faffing around before you get the bike off the driveway 90% of the time :)

Should be some deals next year, and plenty of second hand bikes coming up during the winter, when people realise you cant use for 8 months of year and get back in their cars :)

Soldato
Sometimes the hardest challenge can simply be getting out of the door, it's extremely rare for me to come back off a ride and wish I hadn't bothered.

Couldn't be more right, I have never regretted a bike ride but so often I struggle to get out the door.

100m from my house I'm like awwww yiss every time.

I've been so busy with doing stuff to the house lately, especially with the wife pregnant now, that I've basically missed this summer. I've decided to finally get off my bum and commit to buying the gear and doing some bikepacking. I want to squeak one out at least this year last minute to try it, then next year make sure I go for a few overnighters just for some time to myself.

Back
Top Bottom