Keyless entry and start not working

Associate
Did the previous owner disable keyless entry?

To stop the thieving tow rags from nicking it perhaps?
This may not even be an option so ignore me if it isn't.

Man of Honour
It was purchased from a dealership in Swindon (1.5 hours away) however they’re not responding to emails!

The keys didn’t work when I viewed it, however the said it was the batteries and they’ll change them.

So you've bought a car from a dealer which had a fault present at the time, they said they'd fix it, it's still broken and you're looking at spending your own money to fix it? Why not pick up the phone and have a chat?

Soldato
OP
What's the main car battery voltage like? Stuff like keyless entry can be one of the first systems to shut down if the voltage drops. Does the stop/start work ok?

Interesting point. When I reviewed the service history before buying it I remember seeing the battery was recently changed. Low and behold there’s a receipt from the 17th June, very shortly before the last owner sold it.

EDIT: the battery is Point.S branded, doesn’t sound particularly ‘premium’.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As previously said, phone the dealer you bought the car from. They have sold a faulty car and have to rectify the issue or you can reject the car.

I have been in contact with them but only via email as I wanted written evidence of what’s been said. I agree I need to bite the bullet and just phone them. I’m a bit dubious about what they can do to resolve the issue if the Hyundai dealer couldn’t even fix it.

So you've bought a car from a dealer which had a fault present at the time, they said they'd fix it, it's still broken and you're looking at spending your own money to fix it? Why not pick up the phone and have a chat?

Nail on the head. I’ll be phoning in them on Monday.

Associate
I have been in contact with them but only via email as I wanted written evidence of what’s been said. I agree I need to bite the bullet and just phone them. I’m a bit dubious about what they can do to resolve the issue if the Hyundai dealer couldn’t even fix it.

They'll possibly send it to the nearest Hyundai dealer, was it a indy garage or a large chain you bought it from? Regardless, it's up to them to rectify it one way or another.

Is the battery the right sort, you hear of people not buying the expensive ones for stop start and only buying the cheaper ones that disable that functionality, could this be part of the issue?
I would check the battery code against the car to check its the right one

Few other considerations, did someone change the battery as they already had this fault, so they sold an already faulty car, after changing the battery to try to fix the fault
Do you by any chance have the details for the previous owner, could be worth contacting them
Do you know if the pat ex'd or sold to the dealer you bought it from directly or if the dealer picked it up from the trade/auction, if the previous owners sold directly to that dealer they are less likely to be cooperative unfortunately

Do you really like the car and is the functionality important to you, you could always offer to take a wadge in cash to offset the decreased value of the car with this fault, maybe £300 or so?

Associate
Did the OP put a new battery into the fob...

stuff about headliners is nonsense, i would think its due to one of the following

1. battery in the fob
2. battery in the car - as stated a bad or suspect battery can play havoc on the cars electrical systems
3. some options disabled - also mentioned and a possibility that the previous owner done something to the settings.

Soldato
OP
Is the battery the right sort, you hear of people not buying the expensive ones for stop start and only buying the cheaper ones that disable that functionality, could this be part of the issue?
I would check the battery code against the car to check its the right one

So this is the battery installed:
9-BC8-D9-A0-79-E6-49-CC-9-C17-C82-B6-DEF5287.jpg

The invoice said battery replaced due to poor starting. He paid £89 by the looks of it. I’ve done a very quick check online and most websites seem to suggest something bigger. Eurocarparts is showing AGM batteries which I thought were for Stop/Start cars? I don’t believe mine has Stop/Start, or if it does it’s not functional.

Few other considerations, did someone change the battery as they already had this fault, so they sold an already faulty car, after changing the battery to try to fix the fault
Do you by any chance have the details for the previous owner, could be worth contacting them

I’ve already been in contact with them and apparently the keyless always worked with exception of changing the fob batteries once. I’m confident the fobs are functioning correctly.

Do you know if the pat ex'd or sold to the dealer you bought it from directly or if the dealer picked it up from the trade/auction, if the previous owners sold directly to that dealer they are less likely to be cooperative unfortunately

Not sure

Do you really like the car and is the functionality important to you, you could always offer to take a wadge in cash to offset the decreased value of the car with this fault, maybe £300 or so?

I do like the car and will likely keep it but it does annoy me when things don’t work when they should!

Last edited:
Associate
What engine is it? Quick google brings up this: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/hyundai/ix35/first-drives/hyundai-ix35-2.0-crdi-premium

When the car launches next spring, it will have just half of its eventual engine line-up: a 2.0 petrol and this 2.0 diesel. Hyundai is pinning big hopes to the smaller-capacity units that are due next autumn, a 1.6-litre petrol emitting 149g/km of CO2 and a new 1.7-litre diesel – in effect a bored-out version of the motor already used in the i30 – that will emit 139g/km. They both use stop-start to achieve these figures.

Soldato
OP
Have you used the correct battery for the keyfob?

Yep CR3202 according to manual. Tried Energiser and Duracell branded batteries.

On another note I can prove the door handle buttons work. If I leave my key in the centre console holder, close the doors and press either button the car beeps to indicate the keys left in the car.

Soldato
OP
I phoned the garage this morning to discuss the issue, just waiting for the person who deals with after-sales to arrive. I’m dubious about their ability to fix the issue but I’ll try and remain optimistic.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
If the car was supposed to have an AGM battery and now doesn't, you'll find a few things likely won't work, predominantly being any Stop / Start functionality and keyless entry. Could be worth suggesting they try sticking an AGM battery in and going from there. Not cheap as batteries go though :(

Associate
If the car was supposed to have an AGM battery and now doesn't, you'll find a few things likely won't work, predominantly being any Stop / Start functionality and keyless entry. Could be worth suggesting they try sticking an AGM battery in and going from there. Not cheap as batteries go though :(

Yes, that's the 2nd bullet point i called out- If i was the OP i would replace all the CR3202 key fob batteries and get a brand new AGM battery, removing that cheap POS battery fitted.

My Subaru is very peculiar on battery voltage and capacity - if its running low i find even things like the auto recirculate actuator does not work and the outside temperature is reading wrong.

Soldato
OP
I’ve been told to call back tomorrow when the director of the garage is back, I’ll update with what’s discussed.

I’ve used online checkers to find the correct battery to go for and I get some very conflicting results. What’s the best way to find out?

Associate
I'd be surprised if it needed an AGM battery if it's not the ISG/START STOP model. I'd also expect the main dealers to have highlighted if the battery voltage was low. Do you happen to have a multimeter so you could check the voltage yourself?

Back
Top Bottom