***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Whilst I didn’t think I’d get there, I feel like I’m only a few weeks away from my pre-lockdown totals. May even exceed them by the end of the year, but I’d be very happy just to hit them again. I wasn’t sure I’d have the same motivation at home, but I’m used to the new environment now and much prefer it. Back to work tomorrow and it makes the whole thing easier.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
My forearms are so tight and I have bicep DOMs which is really weird, mid-upper back is tender too, probably because I don't usually do anything where that flexes under load. Bruising is no different to when I first started playing with kettle-bells before I joined a gym so not that bad.

I must research this head press technique for next time. I skimmed an Alan Thrall video on technique quickly to get the gist, but while I was okay with stones below bodyweight, but once they got as heavy/heavier than me it all fell apart. When I used to deadlift I got up to repping double bodyweight fairly easily, so obviously found being pwned by significantly less than that a bit annoying!

Also re these apps telling you about capacity - my PureGym is exactly like this, claiming x amount of people in the gym and then going in to find it's heaving because people haven't actually checked in on the app once they've entered. Daft. I don't think MuscleWorks gives a hoot about capacity other than their official statements. People in both clearing up after themselves though, but other than sweat stains I don't plan on licking barbells or handles.

Bicep DOMs are expected after stones. You want to be warming up your biceps before lifting them.

This tacky remover is great https://cerberus-strength.com/products/atlas-tacky-remover

Man of Honour
I’m finding the walkout for my squats significantly tougher than the squat itself at the moment. I think it’s the nature of my rack that means I have to walk out slightly further by an extra step. Usually I’d stay closer to the hooks.

Soldato
Incline dumbbell pressed 32.5kg for the first time yesterday, always used to be a barbell only presser but moving to dumbbells has really helped with overall shoulder girdle integrity and strength.

The problem I have with these bigger dumbbells though is hitting the uprights of the rack - I need to remember to move over to a standalone incline bench when using dumbbells :p

Managed to hit an 80kg incline bench too, first time I've gone that heavy and it went up quite comfortably tbh.

Started doing a Saturday morning HIIT class which consists of air bike, rower and ski erg - the bicep pump I'm getting from the rower is insane :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Current training is going well, trying to be strict and stay away from heavier weights.

Currently weight 81-82kg

Chest/Triceps - 01/09

Bench - 95x12, 95x10, 95x12

Dips - BWx13, +15x14, +25x11

Incline DB Press - 34x12,13,11

Tricep push down - 30x11, 35x8,7,6

Rope extensions- 15x12,15,12

Lying DB Extensions - 12x8, 8x14,14

Man of Honour
First after work session in my home gym. So good!!!

Unlike @LiE and his sensible reps approach I’m doing 1 rep max single OHPs for fun. I’m consistently hitting 80-82.5kg for reps now at 86kg body weight. I’m well happy with that given that a decent bit of my body weight is on my legs too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a very short lived back session last night - wasn't in the zone particularly and not sure why.

Deadlifts

40kg x lots
80kg x 10
100kg x 10
120kg x 6
140kg x 6
160kg x 3
180kg x 1
80kg x lots

Accessory work

Circular lat pull down (this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9OyDrlFvY)
Plate loaded pulldown
Straight arm pull down
Bicep curls, for the girls

Hoping to have a better shoulder session tonight

Man of Honour
First after work session in my home gym. So good!!!

Unlike @LiE and his sensible reps approach I’m doing 1 rep max single OHPs for fun. I’m consistently hitting 80-82.5kg for reps now at 86kg body weight. I’m well happy with that given that a decent bit of my body weight is on my legs too.

Nice work. Jealous

Struggling to get to 60 on OHP (for reps) but I have at least been progressing again on it.

Man of Honour
Been on my plan for just over a week now, food volume is ridiculous considering I'm cutting. I'm actually struggling slightly to get it all in which for a fatty like me is something I never thought I'd say.

Slowly adapting to the 200 minutes of cardio I spread out over the week, stick some YouTube on my phone and just crank it out on the bike.

The weights workouts are a bit different for me, a little more BB style than I've trained in a long time so lower weights but plenty of reps and accessory stuff.
A stark contrast to the type of training I'd fallen into over the last couple of years which was one compound per session working up to triples/doubles and then 1 or 2 accessories. Feels nice to be keeping it lighter but still hammering the muscle without the bigger strain on joints.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Have to start waking up at 6:45 now due to kids going school..

So I'm trying to cut, and on some lifts am struggling to gain. BP I've been doing 75x4/5 for 3 sets last week and this morning. Struggling to do more then that.

Shall I do more dumbbell bench press? 26x8 at the moment. Rarely do them or any dumbbell press for my chest anymore.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Current training is going well, trying to be strict and stay away from heavier weights.

Currently weight 81-82kg

Chest/Triceps - 01/09

Bench - 95x12, 95x10, 95x12

Dips - BWx13, +15x14, +25x11

Incline DB Press - 34x12,13,11

Tricep push down - 30x11, 35x8,7,6

Rope extensions- 15x12,15,12

Lying DB Extensions - 12x8, 8x14,14

I did record my final sets, so thought I'd slap them into a video and share as it's more interesting I find than looking at numbers.

Man of Honour
I was looking back through pictures and was surprised to see how far I’ve come having switched from running to lifting. I only really take the occasional selfie to see how I’m progressing.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Link pls...

:p

All I can provide is today's back and biceps workout. Biceps are so pumped, getting a really good connection at the moment.

Back/Biceps - 02/09

Pull ups - (close grip) +10x11,9 (wide grip) BW x 10,13

Seated Rows CG- 75x10, 80x10,9

DB BOR - 34x13/14, 42.5x10/10

Lat push down - 25x12,11,8

Seated DB Curls - 20x8, 16x8, 12x9

Incline Hammer DB Curls - 12x10,10,10

Lying Cable Curls - 15x10,10,9

Reverse BB Curl - Bar x 10,10,10

Man of Honour
I just put an order in for a mirafit swiss bar. Bit of a whim and unplanned. Do any of you use swiss bars and what do you like do with 'em?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom