Upgrade from 2014 Ford Fiesta

Caporegime
So what makes my requirement retarded? Is it such a tall order to look for other people's advice on cars?

Because at those ages they will be outside the standard 3 year warranty period so what difference is there going to be between a 4 year old an 6 year old car? Model and condition are what's important.

nas

nas

Associate
The ride will be harsher on 17" or 18" wheels but will nonetheless be an upgrade from the Fiesta. Just test drive them, and if it's that bad go for the SE, Sport etc trim levels which typically come with smaller wheels. Isn't necessary to get tied up into the typical forum semantics, when the advice you're seeking is pretty clear.

Associate
OP
Because at those ages they will be outside the standard 3 year warranty period so what difference is there going to be between a 4 year old an 6 year old car? Model and condition are what's important.

Bloody hell. Did my generalised thought process really bother you that much?

I only added 2016-17, like I said; because that's the years that the list of cars I put on roughly received a mid life facelift, and since they looked better than the interior of my Fiesta and had better technology, I added them.

Don
Last edited:
Don
Looking for a 5 door small family hatchback. Get's recommended a 2 door 2+2 300hp coupe. Amazing.

Just go and PCP a 118i M-Sport and be done with it - you're so rigid with your requirements, no one is going to dissuade you from whatever car it is you have already decided on and are just looking for justification of.

Edit:
Was actually trying to illustrate that £16-£17k actually buys a lot of car, rather than just a small engined hatchback with a bodykit.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just go and PCP a 118i M-Sport and be done with it - you're so rigid with your requirements, no one is going to dissuade you from whatever car it is you have already decided on and are just looking for justification of.

Hardly.
All I was looking for was people's experiences with something a bit more up market than a Fiesta.
5 door hatchback, petrol, less than 4 years old, less than £17k.
Must. Suggest. BMW. 4 series. Coupe!

By your logic I should get this, or this, or this. They're all under budget. Why not?

Soldato
Your mistake here is that you want to buy a type of car that OcUK motors doesn't like, so people will just post in the thread telling you to buy something you don't want because it's what they want and get shirty with you if you don't agree :p

It's hard to buy a 'bad' car in the 2017+ family hatchback market, so in many senses this is why people struggle to give advice. Your list of requirements is met by pretty much any and every family hatchback built since 2017.

Given you've picked out all the Golf Mk7 sister cars bar the Octavia, it would be worth giving that some consideration. If you're not looking for big power, then something like the 2.0TSI 190 SE L might tick boxes for you. Even the 1.5TSI might be pokey enough for you.

Associate
OP
Your mistake here is that you want to buy a type of car that OcUK motors doesn't like, so people will just post in the thread telling you to buy something you don't want because it's what they want and get shirty with you if you don't agree :p

It's hard to buy a 'bad' car in the 2017+ family hatchback market, so in many senses this is why people struggle to give advice. Your list of requirements is met by pretty much any and every family hatchback built since 2017.

Given you've picked out all the Golf Mk7 sister cars bar the Octavia, it would be worth giving that some consideration. If you're not looking for big power, then something like the 2.0TSI 190 SE L might tick boxes for you. Even the 1.5TSI might be pokey enough for you.

Don't I know it! Seems like it's a bit of a touchy subject.

I hadn't considered the Octavia. Probably because I always associate them with taxis. Mind you, the boots in them look massive and be able to fit my snowboards in with ease.

I didn't know the Octavia was the Golf's sister car. The more you know!

Do you have any desire for an engine with decent power?

Golf GTI is available in budget and meets your requirements

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202008293068520?atmobcid=soc3

I had seen that one the other day. I think the GTI is that universal hot hatch that's jack of all master of none. I've just been worried about that little 'GTI' badge being a magnet for undesirables walking past it.

Added to my list however. Cheers!

Soldato
The undesirable community are all after the Golf R, you won't get much unwanted attention in a GTI. If you consider the GTI, the Octavia vRS may interest you (the same power train) and you may stand a better chance of getting into a facelift model with the larger standard infotainment system, android auto/apple carplay as standard etc.

From your opening post though, performance didn't seem like a priority, hence my first suggestion of the SE L. (Maybe an L&K would appeal as the 'luxury' trim)

Associate
Hi all,
Audi A3 Sport (Been weary of the S-Line: is it as harsh as people make it out to be with the sport suspension compared to dynamic suspension?)

I've heard a lot of people say this. My mother has a 2011 S-Line (Previous Generation) which has S-Line springs on and it isn't as harsh as people say. I've got an 8V Audi S3 (same generation as the one you would be looking at) and the ride of it is by no means harsh, of course it's a little bit stiffer than usual but it's certainly by no means uncomfortable. You should also be able to find one with the Adaptive Magnetic Suspension optional extra where it softens things up a little bit further in comfort mode :)

Associate
OP
The undesirable community are all after the Golf R, you won't get much unwanted attention in a GTI. If you consider the GTI, the Octavia vRS may interest you (the same power train) and you may stand a better chance of getting into a facelift model with the larger standard infotainment system, android auto/apple carplay as standard etc.

From your opening post though, performance didn't seem like a priority, hence my first suggestion of the SE L. (Maybe an L&K would appeal as the 'luxury' trim)

Good to know.

Yeah, I feel that my wee 125hp Fiesta is nice and nippy. Not looking for an absolute pocket rocket. The SE L and L&K (never knew that one exists) trims look like a really nice place to be.

I've heard a lot of people say this. My mother has a 2011 S-Line (Previous Generation) which has S-Line springs on and it isn't as harsh as people say. I've got an 8V Audi S3 (same generation as the one you would be looking at) and the ride of it is by no means harsh, of course it's a little bit stiffer than usual but it's certainly by no means uncomfortable. You should also be able to find one with the Adaptive Magnetic Suspension optional extra where it softens things up a little bit further in comfort mode :)

Thanks for that. I've heard of the magnetic suspension, but for the life of me, I just can't find one with that extra.

Is your S3 the same kind of suspension that would come with an A3 S-Line?

Soldato
The GTI is still targeted by the scum, just not as much. S3s are also as big of a target as the R.

Hot Fords and Civic Type-Rs attract the wrong type of attention as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for that. I've heard of the magnetic suspension, but for the life of me, I just can't find one with that extra.

Is your S3 the same kind of suspension that would come with an A3 S-Line?

I can't say for sure if it's the same suspension exactly, but I can tell you the S-Line wont be harsher than my S3 and even that I would say is comfortable for daily driving with the odd pothole/draincover/bumpy road etc :)

Associate
OP
I can't say for sure if it's the same suspension exactly, but I can tell you the S-Line wont be harsher than my S3 and even that I would say is comfortable for daily driving with the odd pothole/draincover/bumpy road etc :)

That's great. Thanks for that. I was just worried that it might of been a bit too crashy and I defaulted to the Sport trim.

Back
Top Bottom