is this a spam call

Soldato
Just had a call on my mobile thinking it was from a mate on holiday and by time I started to listen to it I heard voice saying this is UK customs -then bla bla, if you don't press 1 a warrant will be sent to - By time it got there I just cut the call. The voice did sound official.
So I have no idea who it was so has anyone else had these calls.
All the time I was on PAYG I had nothing but now I am with BT Mobile I am getting some odd calls.
Well really that is the first.
The number was 02072867933

Soldato
Just had a call on my mobile thinking it was from a mate on holiday and by time I started to listen to it I heard voice saying this is UK customs -then bla bla, if you don't press 1 a warrant will be sent to - By time it got there I just cut the call. The voice did sound official.
So I have no idea who it was so has anyone else had these calls.
All the time I was on PAYG I had nothing but now I am with BT Mobile I am getting some odd calls.
Well really that is the first.
The number was 02072867933

Had the exact same thing, but they left the message on my answerphone. It's an obvious scam, you can tell by the way it turns from a call form HMRC to being a thinly veiled threat.

Soldato
They say press 1 so they don't need to use the operators when peoples answer phones pick it up.

Anything asking to press 1 is likely a scam.

This.

If I'm not too busy I like to press 1 on these chancers and then waste their time as much as possible. Even just making then say "hello, hello" a lot while I carry on working is an easy win.

Fakes I've had recently are:

- HMRC threatening to send the heavies round
- Amazon prime telling me my renewal is coming up
- "Your internet service provider" saying I will be cut off in 4 hours and to speak to technical support immediately for a new router

Soldato
OP
I did ask after I barred the number.
I remember one call I had and everything the scammer said I repeated (with a indian accent.)- he hung up in the end.

thanks guys

Soldato
The latest one I've been getting is a company saying they can solve issues with nuisance calls. I asked if they would achieve this by stopping ringing me.

Soldato
I never worry about this sort of stuff - if they really wanna get in touch, they’ll either leave a voicemail or send me an official letter.

Soldato
This.

If I'm not too busy I like to press 1 on these chancers and then waste their time as much as possible. Even just making then say "hello, hello" a lot while I carry on working is an easy win.

Fakes I've had recently are:

- HMRC threatening to send the heavies round
- Amazon prime telling me my renewal is coming up
- "Your internet service provider" saying I will be cut off in 4 hours and to speak to technical support immediately for a new router

This, always entertaining. Had "Agent James" from HMRC telling me to stay where I was until the police came to arrest me in 45 minutes because I gave him false details XD

Permabanned
Not quite. 020 is the area code for London..
scammers seem to be able to spoof numbers that look like they come from just about anywhere.
yeah but there are no legitimate calls from London for most people.
No legit call center is in London.
No young person in London would use a landline over a mobile.

Caporegime
We've been getting some interesting spam calls.

They have progressed from the automated machine-sounding voice to pre-recorded human speech.

After a quick preamble, I was asked a question - some personal info iirc. To which I responded with a question of my own, like "Who the frog is this?", and the spiel re-started as if I'd answered properly. Should have let it go on a bit longer but I just put the phone down.

Was just an ordinary chap's voice and nothing suspicious until it failed the Turing test at the first hurdle :p

Back
Top Bottom