• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I intend to. I plan to buy a second hand 2080Ti, then see AMDs offerings. But as this is the Ampere thread, this is where I will discuss ampere. Funny that.
What kind of price are you expecting the 2080 Ti to drop to? In theory should be hammered down in value but reality probably is that you could still end up paying a lot for something that might have been in use for nearly 2 years, if an early card.
My thinking would probably go along the lines of dividing the new price of the 3090 by two and then making an allowance for the age of the old Ti too as well as allowing for the fact it's now last gen 2 year old tech :). So, a 2080 Ti for < £500? Unlikely IMO
IMO, if just to tide you over, might as well go lower down the 20 series range

Soldato
What kind of price are you expecting the 2080 Ti to drop to? In theory should be hammered down in value but reality probably is that you could still end up paying a lot for something that might have been in use for nearly 2 years, if an early card.
My thinking would probably go along the lines of dividing the new price of the 3090 by two and then making an allowance for the age of the old Ti too as well as allowing for the fact it's now last gen 2 year old tech :). So, a 2080 Ti for < £500? Unlikely IMO
IMO, if just to tide you over, might as well go lower down the 20 series range
Why does age matter at all?? Graphics cards, for the most part last many MANY years. The fact it might be 2 years old bothers not one bit.

You must be aware of depreciation? If I get an already second hand card to tide me over, it will lose considerably less money (if any) than a brand new 30xx card will. Same as buying a new car and selling it 3 months later. That would be stupid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why does age matter at all?? Graphics cards, for the most part last many MANY years. The fact it might be 2 years old bothers not one bit.
Tell that to my 2080 - the LED's, or at least some of them now failing after 2 years :D. Technology moves fast, just like I said about the 10** series, the 20** series is soon to be last gen tech. Tech values 'should' fall hard when new products released. GPU's don't. There's a point where people should think "I might as well buy brand new".
Everything has an MTBF too. Time ticks by and the process/aging process can be sped up depending on use.

If people can't value used prioducts well, no wonder AMD & NV get away with their pricing. The used market shows just how much of a demand there is for these products, to put it another way :).

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh?? It doesn't matter how "old the tech" is. You seem very hung up on how old the tech is or if it's a generation out of date yada yada.

I don't care if it's 5 generations old or 50 years old. I care if it can push the frame rate I want. End of.

Soldato
How much do you reckon OCUK will put on these cards that will be interesting to see.

wouldn't like to put a number out, most retailers will mark up to a degree, time will soon tell, under 10hrs to go :)

one things for sure the fe wont be for me the leaked pcb is a short, but very tall pcb which may clash with my side window in my 011 dynamic :(, no hope of watercooling it either :(

Last edited:
Associate
20 total phases on the VRM
So 16+4

I suppose they could run phase in parallel like asus so 8+4

Either way, the power delivery here is top notch. OC, these cards should pull 500+ no problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom