Moving BT Master socket

Associate
Hi

We’ve just moved in to our new house and I’m putting in a full Ubiquiti system and need to relocate the master socket to my study upstairs where my modem and network kit will be.

The FTCC connection comes into the house via the loft, into a junction box and then to the master is in the kitchen. As my study is upstairs, I’ve run a Cat6 from my room to the junction box. Can I just disconnect the master downstairs and move it upstairs direct onto the incoming cable and then use my Cat6 to feed the broadband to my modem?

Alternatively I could put the master in my room via the Cat6 by patching the main feed cable to my Cat6?

I know I’m not allowed to move it but, well, I need to .

Don
The FTCC connection comes into the house via the loft, into a junction box and then to the master is in the kitchen.

As above - that is a Master socket in the loft that the Drop cable is wired into.

Looks like a lot of drop cable across the loft to the socket, so depending on where the study is in relation to where the drop cable enters the loft, you have some options for repositioning the Master socket.

Assuming the window in the photo is the study, it would be easy to pull the cable back, run it down the outside of the wall, then through the wall at floor level.

I know I’m not allowed to move it but, well, I need to .
You wouldn't be the first :) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33686921

Associate
OP
It’s not the master, master is in the kitchen, 5C Mk4. I opened up the box today and the incoming wire, blue and white are just joined to the white cable. They’re not connected to anything in the box. Should be fine to join to my Cat6 blue pair and fit the master where I want it. I’ll just turn the existing master into an extension.

Associate
OP
As above - that is a Master socket in the loft that the Drop cable is wired into.

Looks like a lot of drop cable across the loft to the socket, so depending on where the study is in relation to where the drop cable enters the loft, you have some options for repositioning the Master socket.

Assuming the window in the photo is the study, it would be easy to pull the cable back, run it down the outside of the wall, then through the wall at floor level.

You wouldn't be the first :) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33686921

It’s not the study, that’s on the other side. But as said I’ve run a Cat6 up to that box from my study.

Permabanned
Yes. You can either extend the original master using two cores of a CAT6 or move it,again extending the original cable using a CAT6. Just don't tell BT.

Associate
OP
Yes. You can either extend the original master using two cores of a CAT6 or move it,again extending the original cable using a CAT6. Just don't tell BT.

Yeah and should be able to use the wiring to the existing master as an extension. I can use another pair in my Cat6 to wire back?

Permabanned
Yeah and should be able to use the wiring to the existing master as an extension. I can use another pair in my Cat6 to wire back?

Honestly I don't know, but I don't see why not. It is CAT6 after all so I can't see any potential problem.

Back
Top Bottom