Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Caporegime
Are there no cashback accounts currently? I'm on a 90day trial with curve at the moment, but I'm not paying 9.99 a month once thats over, I'd have to spend £999 a month just to break even!

Soldato
Are there no cashback accounts currently? I'm on a 90day trial with curve at the moment, but I'm not paying 9.99 a month once thats over, I'd have to spend £999 a month just to break even!

I think the theory is that you also benefit from other stuff like travel insurance etc.

If you want purely cashback on spending you're best off with something like the Amex Platinum Everyday card.

Associate
Just went for my couch to 5k running session and mapped it so my cool down started at the supermarket so I could buy lunch and walk home for my cooldown. I didnt take my phone but had my Apple Watch.

Starling on Apple Pay on the watch was declined in the supermarket but my HSBC on Apple Pay on the watch went through no issues. Just interested to hear if it is not possible to use Starling on Apple Watch with no phone connected to it or was it coincidence that it got declined?

No real issues just curious.

Associate
Just went for my couch to 5k running session and mapped it so my cool down started at the supermarket so I could buy lunch and walk home for my cooldown. I didnt take my phone but had my Apple Watch.

Starling on Apple Pay on the watch was declined in the supermarket but my HSBC on Apple Pay on the watch went through no issues. Just interested to hear if it is not possible to use Starling on Apple Watch with no phone connected to it or was it coincidence that it got declined?

Have you set GPS security on the app as you would need to have your phone with you.

Also Monzo are changing some stuff see blog below
https://monzo.com/blog/withdrawal-and-card-delivery-fees

Associate

Only thing I can think of why that might happen is there's a contactless transaction limit...might be that you hit that. Every now and then it will reject and request you use a PIN.

Associate
Only thing I can think of why that might happen is there's a contactless transaction limit...might be that you hit that. Every now and then it will reject and request you use a PIN.

Just in case it's not that:

You will now also have to enter your pin once you reach a cumulative amount of consecutive contactless transactions totalling over £225

It used to be X number of transactions but made it useless for TFL...

Soldato
I see Monzo are so desperate for cash now that it is going to charge for ATM withdrawals even in the UK 3% after £250 worth. Most won't need to withdraw that amount, but it's still a bit of a sting.

Also keen to get their deposits up, by increasing the limits if users that pay in more every 35 days.

I think this bank could be in trouble come this time next year. The latest report by the company's auditors was pretty damning.

Associate
To get the increased limit it seems you have to have at least one DD as well. TBH I don't think I've ever withdrawn that much cash in an entire year but it is nice to be able to do that should I need to without being charged for it. With this and the uncertainty of Monzo I'm going to think about getting a Starling account as well. I still have my old bank account should I need it.

Caporegime
After Monzo's damning report I've withdrawn everything and won't be using them again. Which is a shame as we really need someone to keep Starling honest. Their last-chance-hurrah tactics reek of desperation tbh.

Commissario
If everyone stops using them, of course they'll be in trouble. If you like the service, why not stick with them? You're protected up to £85k or whatever the figure is.

I've not experienced a single problem and I'm not planning on switching in the foreseeable future. None of the changes mentioned above will make any difference to me and the way I bank.

Caporegime
If everyone stops using them, of course they'll be in trouble. If you like the service, why not stick with them? You're protected up to £85k or whatever the figure is.

I've not experienced a single problem and I'm not planning on switching in the foreseeable future. None of the changes mentioned above will make any difference to me and the way I bank.

You and your logic, GTFO.

Back
Top Bottom