New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Should be receiving mine today!

Does anyone know what calibration settings should be used for this panel in DisplayCal for calibration?

Specifically the Mode (LCD (generic), LCD White LED, LCD RGB LED,...), but also any potential others specific to this panel.

I have an X-Rite i1Display Pro.

Also happy to do any testing/post my results with it if it'd be useful to anyone!

Associate
Should I pick Dell S2721DGF or Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20? same price.

The only differences that I know:
Dell's monitor 400nits, Lenovo's 350nits
Lenovo supports sRGB option, Dell has "sRGB MODE PRESET".

Associate
Should I pick Dell S2721DGF or Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20? same price.

The only differences that I know:
Dell's monitor 400nits, Lenovo's 350nits
Lenovo supports sRGB option, Dell has "sRGB MODE PRESET".

I vote for Dell based on warranty and the stand. I hate those two pronged stands so much. They take up so much more room.

Associate
I vote for Dell based on warranty and the stand. I hate those two pronged stands so much. They take up so much more room.
I don't really mind about it, all I want is the best quality. Sadly I found out that the Dell does not support sRGB.. the thing is, do I need it?

Associate
I don't really mind about it, all I want is the best quality. Sadly I found out that the Dell does not support sRGB.. the thing is, do I need it?
Your content that isn't colour managed will be over saturated otherwise. I think wide gamut displays without a legit sRGB mode is the worst thing to happen to monitors. I don't even know why they use P3 for these types of monitors when they're useless for HDR. This is why I'm so fond of the GL83A as it's no nonsense, straight sRGB and looks great.

All this big company's like Samsung, Asus, Dell, LG, Gigabyte seem to be focusing too much on high refresh, fake HDR implementation and not on picture quality.

Picture quality on monitors has digressed and a good sRGB mode should be standard and the first step to improving the PQ.

Associate
Your content that isn't colour managed will be over saturated otherwise. I think wide gamut displays without a legit sRGB mode is the worst thing to happen to monitors. I don't even know why they use P3 for these types of monitors when they're useless for HDR. This is why I'm so fond of the GL83A as it's no nonsense, straight sRGB and looks great.

All this big company's like Samsung, Asus, Dell, LG, Gigabyte seem to be focusing too much on high refresh, fake HDR implementation and not on picture quality.

Picture quality on monitors has digressed and a good sRGB mode should be standard and the first step to improving the PQ.

So you're telling me I should go for the Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20 which DOES HAVE sRGB?

Associate
So you're telling me I should go for the Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20 which DOES HAVE sRGB?

Only you can answer that, if you want a display that displays the colours the intended way then it might be a better option. P3 monitors look pleasing depending on how much saturation. My FI27Q looks really nice despite being over saturated, tasteful, gives a bit of life in the display as sRGB can look quite bland, washed out in comparison but at the same time, it's the colour space that games were made in. I feel P3 is still a thing for the future, or strictly HDR(don't buy any of these monitors for HDR), we'll have to see but for now sRGB will give you the most "as the developer intended" whether that's for you, you can only answer that. I will say if the lenovo has an sRGB mode like the GL850, it's going to be meh, gamma still off. I'd recommend going for a GL83a if you want no saturation, much better out of the box.

If you play story games like The Witcher, Red Dead, will get Cyberpunk etc then bear in mind those Nano Cell panels have abysmal contrast ratio, look dreadful in a dark room, even for IPS standards. I used to own the GL850 and it was unplayable in a dark room, my contrast measured 781:1 and that was best case measurement, I've seen some 83a's at under 900:1. My FI27Q is about what I can tolerate from an IPS panel at just under 1300:1 on my unit.

Associate
Very much lost the panel lottery on mine unfortunately :(

Camera makes it look a little worse as always, but honestly not that much worse that what I'm seeing. Varying colours too (top left very blue, bottom left slightly yellow, right side very yellow).
This is with low brightness too (27%).

5dE43UX.jpg
3Dcx708

Last edited:
Associate
Very much lost the panel lottery on mine unfortunately :(

Camera makes it look a little worse as always, but honestly not that much worse that what I'm seeing. Varying colours too (top left very blue, bottom left slightly yellow, right side very yellow).
This is with low brightness too (27%).

5dE43UX.jpg
3Dcx708

How does it look in games, video and web pages, as in real world ?

Associate
How does it look in games, video and web pages, as in real world ?

Bleed/glow-wise? The top left and bottom left are very noticeable when there's any kind of dark colour behind them. Right hand side only really noticeable if it's very dark on that side.

If it's a general dark image across the whole screen the whole left hand side becomes very noticeable.

Played some Warzone and in bright areas (which is most of the map) I don't really notice it at all. But as soon and its a darker lit area it just looks as if the left side of the monitor barely even dimmed down, very evident.

Associate
Only you can answer that, if you want a display that displays the colours the intended way then it might be a better option. P3 monitors look pleasing depending on how much saturation. My FI27Q looks really nice despite being over saturated, tasteful, gives a bit of life in the display as sRGB can look quite bland, washed out in comparison but at the same time, it's the colour space that games were made in. I feel P3 is still a thing for the future, or strictly HDR(don't buy any of these monitors for HDR), we'll have to see but for now sRGB will give you the most "as the developer intended" whether that's for you, you can only answer that. I will say if the lenovo has an sRGB mode like the GL850, it's going to be meh, gamma still off. I'd recommend going for a GL83a if you want no saturation, much better out of the box.

If you play story games like The Witcher, Red Dead, will get Cyberpunk etc then bear in mind those Nano Cell panels have abysmal contrast ratio, look dreadful in a dark room, even for IPS standards. I used to own the GL850 and it was unplayable in a dark room, my contrast measured 781:1 and that was best case measurement, I've seen some 83a's at under 900:1. My FI27Q is about what I can tolerate from an IPS panel at just under 1300:1 on my unit.

The problem is that nano ips panel is brilliant! I had the Lenovo Y27Q-20 for a few days, and the sRGB seemed dull, but the colors and the respond time... jeez, nothing can't compete that at this price range.

Associate
The problem is that nano ips panel is brilliant! I had the Lenovo Y27Q-20 for a few days, and the sRGB seemed dull, but the colors and the respond time... jeez, nothing can't compete that at this price range.
Depends, for response times they're decent, image quality not so much.

Associate
Just got this monitor and while it's quite nice it does have one flaw:
When being daisy chained (as the 2nd screen) and the first screen uses a USB-C display port as the input from the computer, then the resolution of this monitor is maxed out at 1080p rather than 1440p.
It's buried in the manual in the resolutions section.
No idea why the resolution is limited when displayport alternate mode is being used but it is.

Associate
Not sure if I got a bad one as well. https://i.imgur.com/xMHcXle.jpg

In-game I can't really tell it is there only the occasional full black screen I can spot something in the bottom left. But Fifa, Apex Legends and Rocket League I could not tell unless I went looking for it. But just want to be sure as tomorrow is a week since I would have got it.

Associate
Can this still be had at £330ish that was mentioned? i have a student discount code but says its not applicable for this monitor :( Best price on Dell website is £390.

Associate
I have just had a RMA request accepted as they even admitted that the bleed on mine was quite high. So 2 days before a replacement is approved (she said no issues with that not happening) then they will arrange to drop off the replacement and then arrange to pick up the RMA one.

Associate
Nope but I just applied for a new student code and it worked...

which of those is relevant for the monitor? i assumed its the S&P one but none of them worked :(

(sorted! the link in the email taking me to the DELL site allowed me to enter the code)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom