• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I think you're looking at this this from a very selfish point of view. I prefer higher FPS (eyes) so more horsepower the better. Plenty of people gave the 20XX series a miss so a 3070 or 3080 could a big or even massive upgrade for a decent price.

Not sure why you seem so annoyed.

Why does every one on internet forums immediately assume one is annoyed? I'm not. I am just being a realist. What do any of these cards offer me personally? nothing ! nothing at all that I can't do now.

As for looking at it selfishly? sorry man, didn't know I had to take every one else into account when I give *MY* opinions LOL. Why would I buy a card designed for 4k when I have three 1440p displays? would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

I just don't do all of the promises and the BS dude. Been a gamer for 40 years, and for the past 20 hardly anything has improved with the games. In fact, they have gotten notably worse. Do you think this will improve games? make them better? or just make them look better?

Answers on a postcard please.

I repeat, my Xb1x (which is old now) can run RDR2 at 4k 30 FPS which is more than enough for that game. They would not launch games that you could not play.

As for RT? oh boy ! I can't wait to render this big mess at twice the FPS ! oh goody gumdrops /roll eyes.

ymUx0re.jpg

cl2N3Gf.jpg

The bottom line fella? that does not inspire me. At all. In fact, it was so off putting I disabled it. Can you now understand why I am not terribly exciting and shaking with joy? 4k and RT. I repeat, 4k and RT. Neither of which apply to me, or I particularly like.

Soldato

Yep, because according to their graph the 2080ti was a 100% improvement on the 1080ti. We all know that's nonsense. I think there's going to be some dissapointed people when the reviews break...and if Big Navi really is bringing it this gen expect to see snippets in a week or two to put a damper on the sales. I really do hope the 3070 has the performance, it would be the perfect card for me as an editing/occasional gaming card but without Raytracing and DLSS I'm not sure I'm ready to believe little leather jacket man just yet.

The 3080 is up to 80% faster than a 2080 in games like borderlands and doom eternal at 4k. The 2080ti is 30% faster than the 2080. The 3070 will easily match or beat a 2080ti.

Soldato
Soldato
3080 will destroy the 2080ti even though it has the same cuda core count. It's such a massive leap in (non rtx) performance they must have had it in reserve for so long.

Associate
Interesting - in the spec sheet nvidia say that the 3090 is NVLink Ready (SLi ready) with a "Yes" and for the 3080 they just put a dash "-". In the advert for NVLink on the 3090 page it says it is for 30 series products and that infers not just the 3090 card. https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3090/
Either that means more cards coming out with NVLink capability later on or they made a omission/mistake on the spec sheet for the 3080.

Caporegime
And at 4k. If you are at 1440p, it will be lower.

And with DLSS. If you are playing an unsupported game (of which there are loads), it will be lower.

The marketing is working. I mean, red flags should go up when a reviewer won't give you FPS data straight.

It was a hands on, not a review and he is clearly under NDA for certain stuff.

Soldato
I meant wants tbh, I agree this is simply a return to sane or rather less insane pricing rather than the second coming of Christ. I'm just pleasantly surprised that AMD back in the game means Nvidia aren't taking the P like they have been for a while. I'm waiting until November/Xmas before buying either way as I think AMD are going to bring an interesting offer with RDNA2 as well as the consoles.

Indeed. The consoles are quite simple. Target 4k 60 and ignore RT for now.

Which sounds perfectly good to me :)

BTW as for pricing? they have just stepped back to Pascal is all. 400 odd for the 70, the 80 is gone now (the new 80 is the old Ti) 600 odd for that (no change there) and 1300 odd for the Titan (or 3090 as its now known) and every one is losing their mind LOL.

The 3070 won't be much better than the new consoles, you will require a 3080 to get the headroom from the loss of "to the metal coding" and the 3080 costs more than either console will for the look of things.

If you like 4k and you like RT? fantastic. I am absolutely thrilled for you.

Soldato
And at 4k. If you are at 1440p, it will be lower.

And with DLSS. If you are playing an unsupported game (of which there are loads), it will be lower.

The marketing is working. I mean, red flags should go up when a reviewer won't give you FPS data straight.

A lot of the games they showed didn't have DLSS on. Borderlands 3 or SOTTR for example.

Soldato
I game at 1440p and the fact is, a 3070 is needed for FS2020 at ultra settings, particularly when they release the RT.

No it isn't. FS streams data from a cloud. Meaning no matter how good your GPU is it will always take that long to stream the information, should you enable it.

Secondly let's be real, 30 FPS solid is more than enough for such a slow paced game. However, if it isn't? look up Jayztwocents guide on getting 60, and over 40 out of a 2060. It's very good.

Caporegime
I mean, red flags should go up when a reviewer won't give you FPS data straight.
Come on man... he was under some form of NDA and even figured out a way to get around the "don't show the FPS" rule by showing percentage instead. The guy is credible and threw us a solid in the bet way he could. It's more info than anyone else has given and I appreciated it.

Last edited:
Soldato
When do we get to see benchmarks from sites and when do we expect partner boards to come out?

I have a 2080 Ti, not my finest purchase, kinda regretted it at the time but hey ho I could afford it and was my own fault. I'm interested in the 3080 if the performance gain is good but also if it's quieter and runs cooler this would be really nice to me. My Gigabyte card gets pretty toasty and is relatively loud.

It's just a bit of a shame that RTX is still up and coming. No doubt with next gen consoles coming pushing this to become more of a standard it will come into play more frequently. Think back to the launch of the 2xxx cards and the number of games that were going to have RTX and it's been a little disappointing for the most part. Fortnite with RTX was a selling point in this presentation and can't sells it to me. Control was good as was Exodus but other than that I've not really played anything with it or felt drawn to at the very least.

Anyone want to talk about VRAM again>? :p 10GB for 1440p on the 3080, who thinks it will be an issue sooner than later?

Yup they should have just released the 3080 with 16Gb of GDDR6X, then there would have been no need for the 10Gb or rumoured 20Gb model.
Anyway going to stick to the plan and see what AMD comes up with before deciding anything.

Caporegime
No it isn't. FS streams data from a cloud. Meaning no matter how good your GPU is it will always take that long to stream the information, should you enable it.

Secondly let's be real, 30 FPS solid is more than enough for such a slow paced game. However, if it isn't? look up Jayztwocents guide on getting 60, and over 40 out of a 2060. It's very good.
Don’t think you understand how it works tbh. Doesn’t stream what you see, but merely the terrain data. It’s up to the GPU to draw it all.

Back
Top Bottom