• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nzxt g12 and rtx 2080ti losing FPS!!?

Associate
So I recently decided to put the nzxt g12 onto my rtx 2080ti, at first I installed it with nothing but the g12, I was pleased with the significantly lower GPU temps down from 80 to 50 however I ran a the unigine heaven benchmark and was shocked to see the score drop from over 5000 with the stock 2080ti to under 3000 with the g12…
I saw around a 40 FPS drop in the farcry 5 benchmark too, this hasn't changed after checking it was installed correctly and adding thermal pads and heatsinks to all the vrms and vram on the card, the backplate is far cooler to touch than without the g12 so not sure if it is overheating in the first place...
If anyone is able to help me solve this It would be greatly appreciated thanks

Soldato
What liquid cooling solution (AIO) are you using with the G12?

When you say 'nothing but the G12' sounds like you are just using the G12 bracket on it's own with no cooler!?

You do have either NZXT Z63/Z73/X53/X63/X73/X42/X52/X62/72 or equivilent to go with that G12 yes?

Soldato
As the fan on the G12 is there to blow air over the VRM's dunno if putting thermal pads atop them will actually hinder the effectiveness of the fan as the air cant reach the VRM's due to the pad, and it's the VRM's overheating as the GPU itself is fine under the Corsair H55.

Cant think of a monitoring tool that has VRM temps - maybe HWinfo64? The fan on the G12 for the VRM cooling is spinning yes?

As you had to take the card out to install the AIO & G12 (you shouldn't have to) but clean the drivers out with DDU (Display driver uninstaller) and then reinstall driver.

Associate
OP
I will try remove the pads and see if this helps, and yes the fan is spinning I changed this to a more powerful fan too as the stock g12 fan doesn't do anything to cool it, with the driver install this shouldn't be an issue as I took the card out and put it in the stock casing and all the problems went back to normal so has to be something with the g12

Soldato
I will try remove the pads and see if this helps, and yes the fan is spinning I changed this to a more powerful fan too as the stock g12 fan doesn't do anything to cool it, with the driver install this shouldn't be an issue as I took the card out and put it in the stock casing and all the problems went back to normal so has to be something with the g12

Hi Ryan,

The G12 is literally just a bracket to fit the AIO to the GPU die. (I have one too). The GPU temp seesm fine thus saying the G12 and the H55 is working. JUst make sure the H55 pump is working and the rad fan. Do you have the GPU temp in Corsair link (or whatever t's called to use the GPU temp to ramp up the H55 pump and fan? You say you've benchmarked it but the uniengine benchmark doesnt last very long so may only get upto 50 degrees then drop back. HAve you stress tested the GPU over a longer period of time?

Soldato
Regardless of what others might say from experience the G12 needs to be used with VRM heatsinks and RAM heatsinks. Also IIRC the 2080ti also has VRM's to the left of the GPU which also needs to be cooled so make sure that has heatsinks as well. If I also recall the screw holes you use are the AMD ones for the 2080x series what I used to do is tighten the hand screws till they are touch tight then unscrew them again and look at the TIM spread on the GPU to make sure the contact is evenly spread and has correct pressure then re-apply and adjust accordingly.

Personally I would never risk a NZXT G12 on a 2080ti as they cost to much to replace if you make a mistake if not under warranty. Would rather sell the 2080ti and buy a cooler one.

Associate
OP
I will stress test the GPU when I get home, and no at the moment I haven't I don't have the GPU temp in Corsair link, but I'm still unsure why the FPS is dropping so much because without the g12 the temps reach over 80° during the same benchmark

Associate
OP
I will also double check that the pressure on the GPU is evenly spread later, I have some more heatsinks on the way so hopefully I'll be able to try again, if I can't cool the card down I'll have to try see if I can get some money back from the g12 but I'm hopping that I can cool the vrms and the ram down

Associate
I don’t think it’s a cooling problem. Having used the g12 my self on various cards. Seems your card is throttled for some reason use msi afterburner to see what your card is doing while benches are running

think u will find it’s a software issue. What make is the card

Associate
OP
With the amd mounts the aio first perfectly on the GPU the contact looked even, is it possible to put too much pressure on the card if so I'll make sure the thumb screws aren't too tight

Associate
OP
Another idea that I don't think would be the case is that perhaps the GPU is recognising that no fan is plugged into the mini 4 pin slot on the card I've got an adapter on the way but not sure if this would cause any issues

Associate
OP
So I just did a few benchmarks whilst monitoring my core clock and it stayed stable above 1700mhz so now I'm very confused as it doesn't look to be throttling

Associate
OP
So I used hwinfo64 to monitor and it says the GPU is being limited by power, reliability voltage and utilisation but not thermal what does this mean?

Associate
I think I had this with my first EVGA 2080ti black XC the dam card would not go over 1700 no matter what msi afterburner was saying it was only using 60% power I had to flash the card to another bios and then back again seemed to fix the problem @varkanoid u have to slightly mod the g12 to fit the evga because of the front plate

Back
Top Bottom