• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Not sure what you're replying to, but I never said or suggested that they would or should let one person release all benchmarks. They let DF do the video to show some information, the positives if you will, so people feel they have independent verification that the cards are fast (which they are). The video communicated the very best scenario (avg. 80% perf increase), but nothing else. Great PR for Nvidia, but I will reserve judgement til the full reviews are available, that's all.
We all know it's not a full review, there is no need to keep repeating that like it is somehow news to everyone. It's just an indication of the performance improvement over the 2080 and is the closest to some solid comparison info that we have yet seen.

Associate
Not sure what you're replying to, but I never said or suggested that they would or should let one person release all benchmarks. They let DF do the video to show some information, the positives if you will, so people feel they have independent verification that the cards are fast (which they are). The video communicated the very best scenario (avg. 80% perf increase), but nothing else. Great PR for Nvidia, but I will reserve judgement til the full reviews are available, that's all.

Well just get so many why no benchmarks I got carried away, anyhow notice how there dx12 and vulcan games only

Associate
hahaha. Funniest thing I have read all day, cheers !

He's right though you come across as such a bitter person spouting your console nonsense the reality is some people like to game at higher than 30 - 60fps hence high refresh monitors being so popular, some people also like to play RDR2 at 4k higher than medium settings is this so hard for you to comprehend on a PC hardware enthusiasts forum?

Anyway back on topic Pascal price/perf is nothing to scoff at and RTX IO looks like it could be interesting also the DF video showing Doom Eternal without RT and DLSS at 200% over the 2080 looks like performance is going to be very promising in non RT/DLSS titles.

Associate
Hi all! It may be too early to ask this question since they've only just revealed the cards, but I've gotten caught up in the excitement of the initial performance figures and surprisingly reasonable pricing so wanted to ask!

I've been thinking about upgrading my 1070 since getting a 4K projector, but I'm not quite ready to upgrade my whole system, which is centred around an i7 4770k and 16GB of DDR3. The system is still great for 1080p, but I'd love to make better use of the new projector and actually run newer games in 4K - Days Gone and Final Fantasy VII Remake on the PS4 Pro look really sharp on the projector compared with PC games that I've been stuck running at lower resolutions.

Obviously this CPU and RAM wouldn't be the best match for a 3080, but is there any reason to think that the imbalance would cause any actual problems as opposed to just holding back the full performance of the card? With 4K being the point, would the GPU mainly be the limiting factor anyway? I've looked at some reviews of a 4770k paired with a 2080ti and although of course it wasn't as good as a modern CPU combination, the performance looked like a great step up with no particular issues at 4K, so unless some aspect of the technology has changed to make it physically incompatible or the imbalance would introduce stuttering or something then hopefully a 3080 would be even better?

Upgrading the GPU seems like a much better first step to improve 4K performance than any other individual component, and I'd likely upgrade the rest of my system by some time next year to do it more justice.

I have a 750W 80+ Gold Corsair HX dating back to my original build in 2013 if that helps to know.

Hi mate - I'd love to hear what people think on here about this as well. I have the exact same set up except a 4790k, but 8gb of DDR3 RAM (which I could upgrade to 16GB on the cheap). Rocking a 980 ti. PC is plugged in to a 4k LG B9. Wondering if I overclock the CPU, upgrade the RAM and go for a 3080, or if I need to go for a new Ryzen build.

Soldato
I’m thinking of getting a second hand 2070S.

what price should these be 2nd hand this time next month ?

Without knowing what that level of performance will cost in the Ampere stack, I don't really know....But seeing the offerings higher up, I would pay $200 for that level of performance one-gen old.

Soldato
He's right though you come across as such a bitter person spouting your console nonsense the reality is some people like to game at higher than 30 - 60fps hence high refresh monitors being so popular, some people also like to play RDR2 at 4k higher than medium settings is this so hard for you to comprehend on a PC hardware enthusiasts forum?

Anyway back on topic Pascal price/perf is nothing to scoff at and RTX IO looks like it could be interesting also the DF video showing Doom Eternal without RT and DLSS at 200% over the 2080 looks like performance is going to be very promising in non RT/DLSS titles.

Do you actually mean that? OK, let me point it out very clearly..

1. I am not bitter. The only money I feel I have wasted isn't my own, and the fact it could depreciate faster than a fresh turd is even more hilarious to me. The money belonged to a very nasty woman who made my life hell for two years. Another option was burning it at the end of the garden, but what better way to absolutely waste it than buying a new PC? LOL, you really can't waste money any better.

2. 30 series offers nothing to me. OK? can you understand that in all of your excitement?. Firstly I don't game at 4k. Secondly I dislike how RT is handled and I don't like how it looks.

As for high refresh gaming? I do some of that myself, you know? I have a 240hz Alienware monitor. It's fantastic for Doom and um, Doom and maybe some more Doom? the second Doom is good. For the most part most games I play do not matter. I mostly play Fallout games. If you hack the INI and disable 60hz it breaks the game, and you don't render the pip boy any faster.

I don't game competitively as in FPS and so on. I like relaxing and being alone.

Do you get it? why none of this matters to me? am I sitting here saying you shouldn't buy one? being completely unreasonable? giving you a Chinese burn and calling you names? NO. I am just being myself, thanks. Talking from my own POV and so on.

I reiterate. The whole launch has all been about RT and 4k. Neither of which interest me very much. You could have read my post, gone "yeah fair enough I see where you are coming from" but instead you think I am angry and it's making you mad.

Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom