• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Pondering my options on my 2080S...

Assuming reviews all check out and the 3080 is as good as it seems, would it be best to sell my 2080S now and buy 3080 asap, such that I might get more for the 2080S from the 'less educated' folks in my area (Gumtree sale), before they have time to get wise?

Associate
Wonder how many people are now reversing on just getting a console instead :p

I am.

I was convinced that the 3000 series would be another rip off from Nvidia like the 2000 series. I had a target of £500 for 2080ti performance or I was getting a Series X. Nvidia have smashed that target so much so that I am now happily going to pony up the £649 for the 3080. Assuming the new consoles are going to be £500, the new Nvidia cards have made them feel bad value for money for anyone with a decent PC that is able to upgrade to a 3000 series card!

Soldato

Assuming reviews all check out and the 3080 is as good as it seems, would it be best to sell my 2080S now and buy 3080 asap, such that I might get more for the 2080S from the 'less educated' folks in my area (Gumtree sale), before they have time to get wise?

What res do you game at? do you need it?

If it's not 4k I would hold off for now. Sorry, forgot the obligatory lemon.

Q6bOOJI.jpg

Soldato
I am.

I was convinced that the 3000 series would be another rip off from Nvidia like the 2000 series. I had a target of £500 for 2080ti performance or I was getting a Series X. Nvidia have smashed that target so much so that I am now happily going to pony up the £649 for the 3080. Assuming the new consoles are going to be £500, the new Nvidia cards have made them feel bad value for money for anyone with a decent PC that is able to upgrade to a 3000 series card!

It helps that the new consoles currently have next to no interesting or impressive looking launch titles announced. I too had money set aside, to buy a PS5 in my case, but I'm not spending ~£500 to play PS4 games or multiplats that I could play on a PC.

Associate

You might do, but best to do it sooner rather than later, thankfully I cashed in my rtx 2080ti back in June for £900, bought a cheap £257.99 RTX 2080, thankfully I should at least get my money back on that......also consider taking it to CEX before they drop all their cash offer prices...not the best amount but a very realistic amount at the moment.

Soldato
Meant to be the titan replacement. Though its a weird thing to rename it to a gaming card designation considering NVIDIA are always spouting crap about the titans not being gaming cards.

The 3090 webpage even states it support Sudio Drivers like a Titan does. Interesting turn alright.

It's smart, make it seem like a gaming card again, even though there's a nice gap for a 3080Ti with more VRAM to appear later.

Soldato
Just scanning through the video again, the 3080 was there behind the vase from the very start, I thought there might have been a cut or it was put there off screen. Another thing to note is the GDDR6X, it's supposed to be 2x faster than GDDR6, so does it matter if there's only 8 or 10Gb of it?

[EDIT] Just checked the video again and the 3070 is only G6, the 3080 and 3090 are G6X.

Last edited:
Associate
You might do, but best to do it sooner rather than later, thankfully I cashed in my rtx 2080ti back in June for £900, bought a cheap £257.99 RTX 2080, thankfully I should at least get my money back on that......also consider taking it to CEX before they drop all their cash offer prices...not the best amount but a very realistic amount at the moment.

That's my thinking - speed is of the essence. Interesting times, didn't expect to be in this dilemma.

Back
Top Bottom