Need a new keyboard to replace faulty Corsair K95 Platinum Cherry MX Brown

Associate
Had this keyboard less than a year and it is acting up, repeating certain keys randomly (mainly the A key). It is still covered by warranty and will be going for RMA as soon as I have a replacement to use.

I've been putting up with the issue for a little while now but it is getting very annoying and it seems I'm likely to be stuck working from home for at least a few more months now.

I would appreciate any recommendations, ideally something quieter as my wife doesn't appreciate the noise from this one at night. Similar size/style ideally, macro keys don't matter as I never use the ones I already have.

Hoping to get a replacement ordered in the next few days so I can get this sent back (RMA ticket already open).

Associate
OP
SteelSeries Apex Pro, better then anything with Cherry MX switches...

I had the Apex M800 then Apex M750 before switching to this Corsair. Had to RMA both multiple times due to issues (final RMA on the M800 was replaced with the M750). I did really like both versions before they presented issues but would be worried about the Apex Pro because of the issues I had.

I'll have to do some research to see what common issues they have before buying, guess that gives me something to do today. Thanks for the recommendation.

Associate
OP
So, I've been through a bunch of reviews for both the Apex Pro and the G815 and have decided to give Steelseries another shot. It was a tough decision between the 2 and I'm really hoping I've made the right choice...

Out of stock on OCUK so went direct to Steelseries, should arrive by Thursday, then I can finally box this one up and send it back to OCUK.

Thanks for the suggestions, they do both look like really good choices.

Associate
OP
For some reason there aren't noise comparisons to any other switches, but it might be rather noisy switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRQk-1XDf5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Na-_2UraI

Also it's light linear switch, so after non-linear switch you probably have to adjust actuation depth farther down to avoid accidental presses.

Thanks for that, I had looked at other noise checks for it but more doesn't hurt. The noise aspect is a bonus rather than full requirement (only my wife annoyed by it, I actually like hearing my keyboard) but from those 2 videos it seems quieter than the K95 so that should be ok.
Hopefully it won't take too long to adjust to typing on it, working from home will give me plenty of time to practice within the 30-day money back guarantee window.

If it gets beyond the 30-day window before I decide I don't like it then at least I'll have the RMA of this keyboard as a fallback option.

Soldato
I just got a G815 myself, coming from a 20 year old Logitech membrane wireless job which had knacked a couple of keys forcing a replacement. I had been put off mechanicals for a long while because of the noise, but, after reading this very thread and seeing the comments on the G815 noise levels, I can confirm it is remarkably quiet, no louder than my old keyboard. This is the Tactile version, so the equivalent of browns. The build quality is excellent and I think the slightly weighty aluminium topside actually contributes to the sound deadening. I also like the macro keys, they will come in handy in some games. The low profile keys feel like you are typing on a quality laptop keyboard, which I have always liked the feel of. I would have stumped up for the wireless version but they are very thin on the ground at the mo.

Edit: Also splashed out on a G MX518 Legendary to replace my original MX518. There was nothing wrong with the old mouse but I read that the GHub software the keyboard uses is not compatible with the old mouse, and you can't run GHub and the old LGS mouse software at the same time, so there is that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Whats the verdict?

Considering an upgrade myself but can't decide between the Apex Pro, the G815, or the HyperX Elite 2.

Happy with the Apex Pro so far. I was a bit worried about the difference in actuation causing me to make mistakes but so far the only issue I'm having is getting my left hand used to the missing row of macro keys on the left compared to the K95. I'm sure it won't take long to get used to that though.

Noise level is much quieter (though my wife's comment was "I can still hear it").
The wrist rest is gathering dust much easier than the one with the K95 but it feels nicer and is easy enough to wipe clean.

Just need to deal with posting the K95 back to OCUK now.

Associate
How are you liking the Apex Pro ?

I got one recently and like everything about it apart from the metallic ping after every key press. It looks like you’ve had a few mechanical keyboards, just wondering what your opinion is on it.

Associate
OP
How are you liking the Apex Pro ?

I got one recently and like everything about it apart from the metallic ping after every key press. It looks like you’ve had a few mechanical keyboards, just wondering what your opinion is on it.

I don't really notice the metallic ping anymore, though I did for the first couple of days. I like the keyboard more than my previous ones, wife still isn't happy with the amount of noise it makes though lol.

Associate
Thanks.
I’ll give it a few more days to see if I can get used to it. Not sure what I’ll look at if I end up returning it.
Yeah, my wife commented on the noise after the first key press. It’s a big change from a Logitech K800!

Back
Top Bottom