• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Yeah this is what I am wrestling with - sensible thing would be to buy 3080 then sell it on at small loss for the ti - but there is a lot faff involved with that and I imagine quite a few will do this upgrading from 1080ti/2080ti where ram is not quite there yet. Or just get the 3090 - probably gonna be 400 quid more than the ti but you can just sit on it after that and not worry.

Not sure how to move from my 2080ti either. As I need to get it on water ideally, I think I'd be tempted to wait for the 3080ti rather than faffing around with the 3080

Caporegime
Would Nvidia have been better off keeping the Titan name for the 3090?

People are getting their knickers in a twist thinking that it’s a gaming GPu at a ridiculous price, when it’s clearly not. It could also have led to more sales as psychologically people will think “WOW! I’m getting a Titan for £1500”, rather than lumping them in with the standard range.

Soldato
Lovely thanks. Hydro Copper for both 3090 and 3080. Would love to see the price on these.

Aye, the air cooled EVGAs look gash but hydrocopper nice, If they can do it for no more than £120 equivalent for the block i'll consider it.

But selling an air cooled card generally easier I would have thought, I've never sold a blocked up card or a seahawk/hydro/gigabyte version of the same thing

Associate
As a 2080 TI owner who wants to upgrade for better 2k 120" / VR performance I want to upgrade, but the 3090 pricing is a Titan level **** take. The 3080 Ti is is missing in action and I am disappointed.

Associate
Do people think the 3080 will suffer the same AIB treatment as the 2080 Ti i.e. end up with fancy coolers, pre-oc'd etc. such that it comes out much higher than the RRP? The 2080 Ti was often 20% to 50% higher than RRP. If the 3080 ends up closer to the £900 mark, or worse, then it's value will be eroded.

The removal of the Titan name and substitution of 3090 is a smart move. In the minds of the consumer, it is no longer a halo product in a separate category but rather 'part or the range'. I mean, the gap between $699 and $1,499 is huge and provides AIBs with amble room to boost prices. The 3080 Ti won't come for a while remember.

The more I think about it, the more I think the RRP might be wishful thinking. The only counter to this is obviously whatever AMD push out - hopefully we get lots of leaks in the next two weeks.

EDIT: Okay OC have prices up and they seem... good! Maybe this won't be an issue.
TPU have updated the shaders count.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-ga102.g930

They are treating them as double shaders.

That's more reflective of the ridiculous rasterisation performance.
There's also specs for 3080ti which looks like the card to go for!

Associate
Aye, the air cooled EVGAs look gash but hydrocopper nice, If they can do it for no more than £120 equivalent for the block i'll consider it.

But selling an air cooled card generally easier I would have thought, I've never sold a blocked up card or a seahawk/hydro/gigabyte version of the same thing
I've never sold a blocked card either, in about 5 upgrades. I fear the Hydro Coppers will be too expensive to make sense. I think they have been in the past.

Permabanned
Annotation-2020-09-01-221352.png

Associate

People are getting their knickers in a twist thinking that it’s a gaming GPu at a ridiculous price, when it’s clearly not. It could also have led to more sales as psychologically people will think “WOW! I’m getting a Titan for £1500”, rather than lumping them in with the standard range.

Gives them room to use the Titan name and bring out that model if AMD do bring something big down the line I guess

Soldato
I want some Lemonade now! :p I don't get a constant 60FPS all the time,because I went a bit mad with the mods,and started making massive settlements. I actually need a CPU upgrade!

I only play two games at higher than 60FPS,and that is PS2 and Overwatch. I also don't give a damn if they both look a bit crap,as less crappy effects,the less gets in the way of me playing! :p

I think the only games I play that benefit from the extra FPS (well, to make it more fun for me) are Doom, the new Doom and COD MW. After the last BLOPS (can't remember which but it looked like Fortnite) I swore I was done with COD games but MW has taken me by surprise. The London part especially was very impressive.

I may buy the new one yet.

Associate

We've not seen the Quadros yet, that 3090 from the oven was not one. 3070 = Quadro 4000 (16GB - still on 256bit bus), Quadro 4000 = 3070ti/super

Permabanned
If the EVGA Hybrid has better than 120mm (unlike 2080Ti non Kingpin) Rad and comes with extra VRam option may be good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom