Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato
I finished the day yesterday on 1,551 aircraft and 328,481 positions.

I thought that was pretty reasonable for an indoor setup.

That puts me at the top of the FA league table for my area on aircraft seen and 4th for positions.

Some of those close to me seem to be getting another 100,000 positions but 100-300 aircraft less.

I still need to install polar.sh and maybe timeplase1090 as well.

Edit: gain wise I'm more or less in range all of the time now but I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully that script will just take care of it without any thought

Soldato
That sounds good to me. I'm sure you can predict what I'm going to ask next :)

Do you fancy adding the feed to Essex Radar?

Yeah I'm happy to do that provided the network overhead is low and that it doesn't present any security issues

Presume there's nothing inbound for me to worry about? I just fire my feed to you?

Soldato
My system is back running on my old Cantenna as I prepare my FA Antenna to eventually get put up on a 10' pole on the gable end of my house along with my Airband Antenna. Was going to do it myself but the wife has forbidden it ;) She probably makes a fair argument. Gonna get a guy in next week to sling it up for me :D

I'm also in the process of setting up a failover WAN via 4G in my PfSense box so that my stats don't suffer if I lose internet, and so the local spotters can still access my feed.

Commissario
Yeah I'm happy to do that provided the network overhead is low and that it doesn't present any security issues

Presume there's nothing inbound for me to worry about? I just fire my feed to you?
No, I don't think the overhead is massive - I have quite a few feeding in here and I feed out to a fair few places but I really don't notice any overhead whatsoever. Nothing inbound for you whatsoever, I'll just give you a very simple five line script that uses socat to push the feed to me along with an entry in cron to keep an eye on it.

Thank you - Can you fire me off a trust message please and I'll email you the details.

Was going to do it myself but the wife has forbidden it
Yeah, I still do some climbing but nowhere near as much as I used to when it comes to aerial work.

Soldato
Anyone pick up an emergency squawk from a Lancaster Bomber reg-PA474?

It turned back and descended and headed for Coningsby.

Hope it landed safely. What a machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
The feed from Nazbit is working well :)

Still down :(

Think the range plot has pretty much filled out by now.

Do you all find Friday is the busiest day? This is my peak traffic so far with this new receiver and first time breaking the 100 aircraft and 1000 messages per second barrier.

Average for daytime tends to be 50-80 aircraft and 600-800 messages per second but thats better than I was getting with my old receiver.

adsb-record-high.jpg

Finding the polar graphs very interesting too. Can clearly see the arrivals and departures from Hawarden, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds Bradford, East Midlands and Birmingham.

The hot spot over Shropshire is the Helicopter Training School at RAF Shawbury. I often see 3 - 6 helicopters up at a time most weekdays. Usually Airbus 135s or 145s painted up in the yellow and blue livery that you typically see on police helicopters.

Does anyone know what the hot spot north of Manchester airport is? At first I thought it was a stack for Man but as the day went on and the graph built up it looks like a small airfield? Not been able to work it out from any maps and aviation charts are a total mystery to me.

lowmap-2020-09-04-small.png

At a high level most of my traffic is from London / Europe long hall on its way to join the ETOPS airways to the USA and Canada.

mapol-2020-09-04-small.png

Commissario
@DustyMiller I’m happy to add UK feeds to complement what I’ve got but I’m not specifically looking for anything else within Europe.

I spent yesterday fixing family members cars unfortunately! That's tonights project :)
Priorities :D

Finding the polar graphs very interesting too.
I like them, I don’t look at mine every day but it’s good to see.

Associate
@Feek just used your website to identify a Spitfire that went over Chelmsford and then saw that the coverage extends to the Czech Republic, is your equipment that's picking up that far or is someone else feeding that data?

Soldato
@nst68 @Feek has minions now. If you go to Settings > Options > Reciever you'll see the various locations of those contributing to the feed and you can select each one individually to see what they're seeing with their recieving equipment.

Commissario
Raspberry Pi 4 2Gb - £34
SD card - £8
PSU - £8
FlightAware Pro Stick Plus receiver - £23.50
FlightAware aerial - £44 or take a look at this thread and build your own.
Coax cable to link aerial to dongle - £unknown because of length but buy the best you can afford. I'm partial to Hyperflex 10 but Ultraflex 7 is relatively decent

You've even got your minions answering questions for you now :D
:D

Back
Top Bottom