• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
That’s the thing to gpu ownership. Does my Ti being devalued bother me no. Name of the game really.

Has had some good use. People will be paying £14-1500 for a 3090 that in 2 years may also be worth £300 just the way things are.

I usually keep my cards anyway as spares. Don’t think I’ll be swapping it to a 3080, maybe 3090 have to see how fast it truly is first.

I'm keeping my 1080Ti as my new spare too. My current 1070 spare will probably get sold for next to nothing though.

Caporegime
Xbox One X = 6 terraflops
Xbox Series X = 12 teraflops

Forget the cost, am I right Nvidia just announced a graphics card with nearly 36 teraflops? Or are they fudging that figure somehow.

Soldato
Man I love Vulkun

tenor.gif

Associate
One thing that concerns me re the FE 12 pin power connector.. if you have to use the splitter supplied because you do not have a psu with the 12 pin ..then that's 3 connections..i am no electrician but would that not cause a fair bit of resistance in the cable ..i mean ive seen a fair few 12 volt molex extensions into hard drives go puff in the past and that's low amps compared to these cards ...

Soldato
Anyone seen any waterblocks for the reference 3080 yet? I’m really interested in seeing how they will be designed. Lots of heat in a smaller area is going to require some precision to get right.

Soldato
I don't understand why some 2080Ti owners are unhappy with the 3090's value offering.

Because they just want the "top card" and suddenly it's hard to justify. Previously they could discount the Titan and consider the 2080Ti as the top dog but now the "new Titan" has a regular 3090 name, suddenly that's the top card.

It sounds daft but I assure you that's how some people's minds work. The fact that the 3080 massively outperforms the 2080Ti or that Jensen repeatedly called it the flagship card doesn't matter, people will perceive the 3090 as the top card so they feel they must have that for bragging rights but the value proposition doesn't add up.

They'd actually prefer it if the 3090 had been called a Titan as they could have then got a 3080 :)

Associate
Have to remember that the new consoles have 16GB of RAM/VRAM (some used by OS, but not much) meaning they have at least 12GB VRAM for games. I for one wouldn't be happy spending £650 for less VRAM than a console, as console ports will need the VRAM.
That 12GB is the equivalent of both the free RAM and VRAM that a PC has.
So even if the system only had 16GB RAM and 10GB VRAM, when you deduct the 4GB for the OS that still leaves 22GB versus 12GB for the console.

Back
Top Bottom