Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Soldato
Sorry guys... been so busy with work, and the week the speakers turned up I had my son so couldn't really get much listening time without him moaning about how I was taking him away from his beloved dinosaur shows :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, the other speaker turned after 5 (working) days! I was pulling my hair out. Parcel Force were absolutely useless as I was having to chase them all the time, countless false promises of return phone calls etc etc. I was even tempted to reactivate my Facebook account and leave some choice words on their FB page but I couldn't be bothered in the end. I had my speaker and I wanted to make up for lost time by getting them set up and listening!

I'll start off by saying, my room layout isn't great at the moment. I've been playing with speaker placement and have moved them a little further into the corners, which means my sub has had to come forward. Speaking of the sub, for music, it is now nearly always powered off. The CM10s are absolutely superb in the lower end and make my door handles vibrate just as well as the Monolith did! I'm currently decorating a couple of rooms upstairs and so will hopefully tackle the living room next year. I want to move the AV cabinet to the back of the room and wall mount the TV, meaning more room for speaker and sub placement along the front wall.

cm10_grilles.jpg

cm10_nogrilles.jpg

Current PJ screen placement isn't great either. I could just about wing it with the height of the 603s, and having the center speaker made it perfectly acceptable... the CM10s are a fair bit taller and so the screen blocks the top portion of the speaker. There's a noticable hit on the top end with the screen down.

I have some ideas on how to combat that when I decorate the room so it's not a big issue for now.

cm10_screendown.jpg

As for the speakers, the more I listen to them the better they become. There are still improvements to be had by playing about with placement, a better pre-amp and maybe trying some new cables but as an upgrade, I am so bloody impressed.

As you can see, the speakers are toed in slightly to the listening position and the imaging is sublime. They have such a wide soundstage but are so centrally focussed at the same time. Where my listening height was probably just in line with the 603 tweeters, with the CMs the tweeters are a little more elevated and the result being much more immersion in the sound.

Acoustic and vocal reproduction is superb, very clear and bright without being overbearing. Maybe still a little too much from the midrange (I've mentioned this before) but the tweeter is stunning. The top end was something that I think lacked in the 603s so I am very happy with what is offered by the CMs. I used to play the 603s quite loud to get what I wanted in terms of top end volume but with the CMs being so much more able in that area, I'm very conscious about the volume control now. Quite a substantial difference really.

Still some improvments to be made but I think I'll let my wallet recover a little before the next purchase. Overall though, very very happy :)
I see you don’t have a Center speaker, do you find that you miss not having one?

Soldato
Man they look beautiful. Nice work dude.

You may already be considering this, but when you decorate the room you could potentially move (or change) the PJ screen so it is mounted behind the beam? That way you'll gain some height to be above the speakers?

PS your poor fish :D

They are quite nice to look at aren't they! Seems sacrilege to have one tucked away behind the sub. I wasn't sure how I felt about the grey grilles but in person I think they look really smart, I like how they also give away a bit of the woofer shape as well.

You read my mind about the screen. I'd love a motorised screen hidden behind the beam. Get a nice macro remote, some smart lighting and with the press of a button the curtains close, lights dim and a screen appears as if from nowhere :D

This is just a cheap Optoma screen I bought to get things rolling (;)) but I will definitely be revisiting the screen in future.

Haha, there's nowhere else for my little fishy friend at the moment. My rats got moved out of the room upstairs so I could decorate so they took up the space on the unit behind me where the tank used to live.

I see you don’t have a Center speaker, do you find that you miss not having one?

Not having a center is definitely noticeable and I will slowly be building this system back up to a 5.1 setup. In fact, not only have I lost my center I've lost my rears as well. No rear speakers has probably made the biggest difference over the center but then the front speakers are probably 2.5m apart so there's not a huge gap to fill.

Soldato
I got an LG CX last week so had to get a new TV unit. A bit pokey, had to move the amp to another unit which I've put our record player on. Pretty pleased with it, albeit it's only 2.0 sound and none of the fancy new audio tech is possible, just using optical to the amp.

b2YjTGS.jpg

Associate
You can make those tweeters look a lot better by getting some moderate tack masking tape on them, and pulling it away from the tweeter. It'll hold a crease, but the shape will return

Associate
CITX6Sj.jpg

PRSKfv3.jpg

lcbtvHW.jpg

LlPfyKa.jpg

Made some recent changes, current kit is:

LG C9 65" OLED
NAD T758 V3 Atmos Receiver to power Front Heights and used as a processor
Rotel RMB1095 5ch Power Amp (5x 200w)
B&W CDM 9NT, LCR6 S2 and FPM5 Rear with M1 Heights
Apple TV 4K
Nvidia Shield Pro
Sky Q 2TB
Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Sub

I am on the hunt for the matching CDM CNT centre speaker and am upgrading the TV to a 75" LCD or 77" OLED before Xmas

With Dirac engaged, it sounds pretty amazing. Works well for both music and films but need the impact of a larger screen

Soldato
Got the last few parts today.

it’s not a masterpiece but I like it, just need to find some different speakers but these are decent enough for me just now.

6FSbhNo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom