• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
As I commented in another thread, history will look back at the 2080Ti as a lemon.

£1200, only 30% faster than a 1080Ti and now beaten by a sub-£500 card only two years later.

That’s progress. People have waited 2 years or more perhaps for this kind of performance where some of us have been able to enjoy it for that length of time. Just the way things are. People will buy 3090 that’s worth £14-1500 and in 2 years it will be worth next to nothing again. Just the way the gpu market goes.

Who's been ****** over?

Boughtthe card, used the card, enjoyed the card. Yeah it was pricey, but it was also the best on the market for a couple of years.

People are weird.

Couldn’t agree more. Has given me some great experiences.

Associate
The basic facts though are that they released a very overpriced card, judged by its price/performance relative to the previous generation, and have now released a far superior card at a far lower price only two years later. By any measure that is screwing 2080Ti buyers to some degree.

Not really, there's always a next big thing round the corner. Are 2070S owners "screwed" because they paid 3070 prices a year ago?

The only people who think anyone was screwed are the same folks who think it was too expensive in the first place.

Soldato
Of course everyone's experience is different and you have to make the value judgement for yourself.

The basic facts though are that they released a very overpriced card, judged by its price/performance relative to the previous generation, and have now released a far superior card at a far lower price only two years later. By any measure that is screwing 2080Ti buyers to some degree.

I don't agree with that. People only get screwed if they allow themselves. IE - by mugging themselves off and selling something for 1/3 of what they paid for it.

These cards (the 3080 and 3090) are for 4k 60 with RT enabled. If there is a single part about that you don't need then there is no reason on earth to sell a 2080Ti. At all. GPUs now last FAR longer than they used to. You would get two years tops before before the settings started making your card cry. That doesn't happen any more. My Titan XP was still capable of 110 FPS in COD MW. My 2080Ti with RT on maxed out and overclocked (yeah I got a good one) does this.

TIcrORH.jpg

If that isn't good enough for someone? I am not sure what to say. It all comes down to want and need. Every time you want you lower your guard and you allow yourself into a situation you really shouldn't. If that is your disposition? then no one can help you.

BTW in before the accusation.

Q6bOOJI.jpg

Soldato
I can understand why 2080ti owners are feeling a bit sour, the value of your card has just taken a huge whack.

But then again.. £1200 is an insane amount of money to pay for a single component, my thoughts on this will never change. You go top tier, you pay the above and beyond price, much like the soon to be owners of the 3090 will be doing. I never have and never will shell out this amount for a GPU.

The cost is definitely lower than I was expecting for the initial reports on 3080 performance though.

Soldato
Not really, there's always a next big thing round the corner. Are 2070S owners "screwed" because they paid 3070 prices a year ago?

Well you could argue that they were to some degree as the 2070S was only the same performance as the 1080Ti. Even so, those are probably still going to be worth around £250-300 so maybe £200 loss in a year, half what the 2080Ti lost each year.

The only people who think anyone was screwed are the same folks who think it was too expensive in the first place.

It was too expensive. The only people who think otherwise are those who forked out for one.

Soldato
I can understand why 2080ti owners are feeling a bit sour, the value of your card has just taken a huge whack.

But then again.. £1200 is an insane amount of money to pay for a single component, my thoughts on this will never change. You go top tier, you pay the above and beyond price, much like the soon to be owners of the 3090 will be doing. I never have and never will shell out this amount for a GPU.

The cost is definitely lower than I was expecting for the initial reports on 3080 performance though.

we're not sour we are bitter. There's a difference you know.

Soldato
I don't think a 3080 will be an overpowered card at 1440p. It might be a 4k card but once the next gen games drop and you turn RT on you will need as much power as you can get.

Also it seems the 3080 can natively do RT at 1440p.

Back
Top Bottom