Ryzen 5 3600, 95c while gaming.

Associate
Hey guys, I recently posted asking about a build for a new PC and when I was happy I went ahead and bought. (I had no need to OC and just went with the stock cooler) I’ve been running my PC now for a week or two, and during games I always hit 95c for the entirety of the time playing (Mostly PUBG) my voltage was always sitting at 1.4+ and I turned on the ‘asus optimal’ option in the bios, and ran a cinebench. My temps then hit 106 and my pc turned off, so I headed into the bios and changed it back to normal (was just testing to see if temps would change) since changing back to normal and setting my cpu back to 3.6 my voltage has now dropped to 1.1 and my temps noticeably dropping a lot too. I did crash on pubg for my first time though, after this. Just wondering what else I can try or any other things? My HDD is also broke on arrival but they have said I can get it fixed if I take it up when they open. I think I need to buy a cpu cooler but they might not be open for a month (walk in, anyway). Anybody around Stoke who could help me fix things? Or any of you guys have any clues of what I could try? Obviously I don’t want to send my PC back because I waited 20 days for it, and just wanna use it. (It runs fine, just extremely hot).

edit; R5 3600, 5700 XT, ASUS TUF B450-PLUS, Kolink Observatory Case, 16gb ram, 550w gold psu and a 1TB SSD for now (for if you needed to know more I could look at all the specs later, I’m at work now and figured I’d post so I wake up later to suggestions on my day off).

another edit; on the 1.1v my temps are around 60-83 on PUBG which isn’t too bad, but like I said if it now starts to crash a lot then that’s not good really. I just want to play my games and that’s it really - I really don’t think it should be anywhere near 95 for gaming but I dunno..

Last edited:
Soldato
1. Bad cpu cooler mount
2. Crap cpu cooler, stock is noisey but performs well, have you bought and fitted something worse?
3. Bad case, can it breathe, can those front fans get air or is there a temperd glass wall in front of them? Can it exhaust the air? Try running with side panel off
4. Get rid of any dodgy 'Asus optimal' settings
Google 1usmus power plan or something, Google a best setup guide for whatever mobo you have

Associate
I recently built my daughter a pc of similar specs, 3600, stock cooler and an Asus Strix MB.

The temps were similar and even idle was 60+c. I re-seated the stock cooler several times with no effect. The case is an InWin A1 and it is known for good airflow, thermals, so was not the case.

I then switched the stock cooler for a Noctua NH-U12s Chromax. Huge difference. idle temps dropped into the 30's to low 40's and max temp never seems to go above about 75c. I don't know whether we had a 'bad' chip, or the stock cooler with the R5 3600 just isn't up to it, but I think any half decent 3rd party cooler will solve your problems.

Link below

*** The New Cases Gallery ***

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I recently built my daughter a pc of similar specs, 3600, stock cooler and an Asus Strix MB.

The temps were similar and even idle was 60+c. I re-seated the stock cooler several times with no effect. The case is an InWin A1 and it is known for good airflow, thermals, so was not the case.

I then switched the stock cooler for a Noctua NH-U12s Chromax. Huge difference. idle temps dropped into the 30's to low 40's and max temp never seems to go above about 75c. I don't know whether we had a 'bad' chip, or the stock cooler with the R5 3600 just isn't up to it, but I think any half decent 3rd party cooler will solve your problems.

Link below

*** The New Cases Gallery ***

this makes me hopeful then I just don’t trust myself putting a new cpu cooler on, and that’s why I asked if anybody lived around stoke and wanted to (I could probs next day a cooler to me, then pay somebody to fit) haha. I don’t wanna wait a month and then take to Overclockers since by then I’d have used it a lot at high temps. My PC was built entirely by OC too, for the other guy. I didn’t fit anything. I think my airflow isn’t the best, but even with things off it doesn’t seem to help. The chip gets hot INSTANTLY. Like literally I launch the game and I’m already hiking to 95. I’ll try with my voltage lower for now since the temps seem stable and see when I can get a cooler fitted I guess.

my idle temps were also 60-70c and now with voltage a little lower it’s around 50c.

Associate
OP
50c idle?

Sounds like the cooler isn't mounted correctly. Get in there and have look, take some photos if you can.
I’ll have a check when I get up tomorrow then, it all looks good so I dunno. Overclockers put it together so I wouldn’t think they’d miss something. But hey I guess it could’ve happened.

Associate
Errm sounds like the cooler isn't mounted properly, or you have a faulty cooler, or your CPU is faulty. Even with the stock air cooler my Ryzen 5 3600 stays around 50C

Back
Top Bottom