• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I dont think that the 3090 is gonna be a whole bunch quicker than the 3080 - that why there were no nvidia benchmarks in the presentation.

In order of being sensible I would
1) Wait for 3080ti as this is true replacement for ti models but MLID is saying a 20Gb version might not come out
2) Buy 3080 then sell on at some loss for 3080ti -
3) Bite the bullet and buy 3090

Yeah they seem like the option's, I'm betting we won't see the Ti till June next year, seems to be the norm.

Caporegime
Because people keep saying wait for AMD, wait for AMD. I thought I would show the reason I dont want to wait for AMD.

1. Sorry but I just don't think they can compete at the high end. Boy who cried wolf and all that. They have had nearly a decade to prove me wrong. I am still waiting...
2. Ampere prices are good. even if AMD DO compete. I don't think it will change prices across the board very much at all. AMD would come in just slightly under for same Perf and Nvidia would sit tight.
3. I have a Gsync display.

Looking at the computational specs of the Big Navi 21, if true, it would appear to be matching the 3090. Its only in RT that there might be a noticeable gap.

Pricing will be the key.

If AMD launch the Big Navi at £800 to £900 then the 3090 becomes overpriced and Nvidia will launch their £800 to £900 3080ti with 16/20Gb and 95% of the 3090 performance to compete.

It was the same with the pascal Titan. £1250 but then the 1080ti came out and matched it for performance but £300 cheaper.

Soldato

• Ray-traced reflections - Recreates the way light reflects on glossy and metal surfaces, including smooth natural mirrors like window glass and rougher surfaces like brushed metal.
  • Ray-traced shadows - Accurately models shadowing on many surfaces while enhancing surface and contact detail, and fixes problems associated with traditional shadow techniques.
  • Ray-traced global illumination - Calculates world lighting with massively increased precision, illuminating Fortnite's environments, players and characters with unprecedented detail, fidelity and clarity.
  • Ray-traced ambient occlusion - Where objects or surfaces meet, light is occluded, creating subtle shadows that can highlight the slightest of surface details.

Soldato
Hi. is the 3090 going to be twice as fast as a 2080 ti? I have a 2080 ti at the moment and would only upgrade if its twice as fast.

What is the new Power consumption for it?

I think people are vastly over-estimating the performance of the 3090. It's only going to be around 20% faster than a 3080.

Soldato
IMHO ideally if possible upgrade every two years if required, I'm going to go for the rtx 3080, but it might be worth you considering doing the same for your 4 year upgrade cycle.

I think this is probably the reason they are being stingy with vram.

Im not sure I can stomach paying more than £500 for a video card, even though I can afford it.

Soldato
So apparently there are not going to be any pre-orders for the FE cards? Are they just going to go live at midnight on Sep 17th or something? They'll be gone in seconds, it'll be like Glasto for tech :(

Associate
I think its going to be 20% looking at the specs. Some people (esp for the money difference) wont see that as a lot but at 4k gaming its the difference between running at 50fps and a solid 60fps......................
I would agree that 20% looks sensible - still its worst uplift going from 80 class to ti/ titan class we have seen for some time. Agree for some people that wont matter and they will buy anyway I have no problem with that but for me I would like more like 35%-40% for that premium which would tide you over into the next generation.

Soldato
I think people are vastly over-estimating the performance of the 3090. It's only going to be around 20% faster than a 3080.
yea i believe so. when has NVIDIA double the performance like for like from previous gen ?

Its always just been 20% faster. at best 30%....

I doubt the 3090 is evey 70% faster let alone 100% faster(double the performance)

I game a 4k and there are some games that dont hit even 40fps with everything in ultra and a 100 percent/double the performance would allow me to hit those 60fps in 4k

Associate
It's been a while so forgive me for asking, but who are the best third party card manufacturers besides EVGA? Units have gone live on the webstore but totally spoilt for choice.

Back
Top Bottom