Mechanical RGB Keyboard without the ping

Associate
I recently bought a Steelseries Apex Pro to replace a very quiet Logitech K800 that I’ve had for a long time. I like the design and feel of the Apex Pro, the key presses are very smooth, the RGB effects look great and the OLED screen is useful.

Unfortunately there’s one thing I don’t like, the metallic pinging sound after pressing the keys. From what I’ve learned following my purchase, (why didn’t I find out about it beforehand ?) this is caused by the springs pinging and resonating with the metal plate (filco effect).

Can anyone recommend a RGB mechanical keyboard that doesn’t exhibit this effect ? I really don’t want to need to lube the springs (and lose warranty) on an expensive keyboard.

Associate
OP
Thanks! That’s another to avoid. :)

The more I read, the more it seems that it needs to be accepted or we need to lube springs etc. To be honest neither is acceptable to me on £100 - £200+ keyboards. Manufacturers could solve the ping at production, the onus should be on them.

Associate
Lubing is the only solution, I think. Keyboard enthusiasts apparently don't like pre-lubed switches since they prefer the control of which / how much / where to lube, but on top end gaming boards where the warranty would be voided they really ought to pre-lube the switches at the factory and include it in the price.

A good warranty compatible alternative would be to get a Glorious GMMK, apparently they revised the design after complaints about ping in earlier models. I have the Compact version and there is no pinging. It has hot-swappable switches so you lube the switches without needing to solder or affecting warranty, and as a bonus get to choose which switches you want for feel.

Ice White limited edition that has just dropped looks good, bit gutted that I just bought a black one recently. It supposedly has improved Stabilizers over previous (black) versions, which will save £10ish + time on swapping them). Glorious are also taking pre-orders for their own version of Holy Panda switches. As well as their own lube.

I'm sounding a bit like a shill for Glorious right now.. but it's just because I have recently had to get a new KB after a spillage incident and went pretty deep down the rabbit hole researching. Kind of annoying after me having to source switches, lube, and upgrade stabilizers, from fleabay, china etc, literally in the last few weeks (still waiting for deliver on some parts) and then glorious come out with this which would be way cheaper and easier. Presumably will be in stock here, so could be £70 for board, £35 for switches, £8 lube which is really compelling for the quality of components.

But If you are uber competitive, afaik the switches on the Apex Pro shave a few ms off the input, so if that matters then voiding your warranty is only option.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I've went for a Corsair k95 Platinum xt to replace the Steelseries Apex Pro. It's due to arrive soon. :)

I had a look at the GMMK after it was recommended on a different site. The new Ice White does look good, and being able to mix and match and swap switches as desired is a great feature. If things don't work out for me with the k95 then there's a chance that I'll go for that next time around.

How bright is the RGB lighting on the GMMK ? I've seen some comments say that it's slightly dim in comparison to Corsair or Steelseries.

Associate
OP
The Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT was quickly boxed backup and returned. It was far below the quality of the Apex Pro.

The lighting effects locked up, ie the wave stopped mobing across the keyboard several occassions within the space of a few hours.The keyboard still responded to keypresses and even allowed profiles to be copied acorss, however the only way fix the lighting was to disconnect the USB and plug back in.
I had issues with lighting functionality being broken at the Windows lock screen by the iCue software / the keyboard having insufficient onboard storage for effects.
Using it was almost like typing on some kind of musical instrument.

At this point, I'd love a RGB version of my K800 with per key LED lighting.

Associate
I have a G915 (tactile) and it's easily the best sounding mechanical keyboard I've heard. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good mechanical keyboard. There is no 'ping'.

Associate
OP
I just received my Tactile G915 today. Going to take me a little time to adjust to the tactile keys, but it's at least as quiet as the other mechanical keyboards I have tried with linear and speed switches. Best of all, it's not pinging away as I sit here typing on it. Found one I'm happy with at last! :D

Associate
I just received my Tactile G915 today. Going to take me a little time to adjust to the tactile keys, but it's at least as quiet as the other mechanical keyboards I have tried with linear and speed switches. Best of all, it's not pinging away as I sit here typing on it. Found one I'm happy with at last! :D
I don't know why, but typing on this keyboard just feels so nice.

Soldato
I don't know why, but typing on this keyboard just feels so nice.

Its the low profile keys, like a quality laptop keyboard. I have the non-wireless 815 tactile, kind of wish I had held out for a 915 but they were out of stock everywhere when I needed to buy. Exactly the same as the 915 otherwise. Held off from mechanical keyboards for years due to the noise, but these keys are very quiet.

Back
Top Bottom