• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
So which 3080 is the best to go for, which manufacturer?
Founders edition, AIB's are just using the same reference cooler as last gen. Watercooled versions are the only real reason (and warranty) to go AIB. The nvidia card looks pretty good for cooling this year and if it's as good as the 2080's Founder Edition cooling, it will be good enough. Don't miss out on getting the card as well, who knows what supply and demand will look like with AIB's and the price gouging will be insane - for proof of this, OCUK are still selling a 2080Ti for £1500 when a card is coming out at a third of the price with same performance.

Associate
I'm so torn between just jumping all over a preorder and holding out...I do big bang upgrades and it's overdue.

My PSU and case I think should be fine for the new cards, so could get instant use out of it, but also my 1080 is doing a job for now. Potentially more options down the line to jump on whenever Zen3 launches...

I'm not too concerned about Big Navi as I definitely favour the green team. Combo of drivers and software features. Some of the new features sound great to add to it.

During the launch I was completely sold on a 3090 but the Scottish in me came out and I'm keen to hold off to see if the extra performance is really worth that much more money.

Associate
I'm just worried the FE cards will go out of stock before big navi launches so I'll be 'forced' to get an AIB 3080 or possibly AIB 3090 if they're still better than AMD's offering.

There was an "acknowledgement" in the presentation to supply problems with the previous generation, so hopefully that's a good sign that the supply is there.

Associate
Way I see it is, the 3080 will have about 30% higher FPS at 4k compared to the 2080ti in non rtx titles. The lack of data on the 3090 suggests there to be marginal improvement over the 3080.

Imo buy the 3080 and wait for the next release of cards.

I think that is a sensible view because the price differential is so large even if you get it wrong the risks aren't horrendous and you can always move off a 3080 to RDNA3 or Hopper not having spent £1.4k

Associate
I'm so confused in what to do. I really want the 3080 but as others have said it's sort of a "downgrade" in VRAM from the 1080 Ti. So I'm thinking to hold off for a potential 3080 Ti. But there's no guarantee? :/

Associate
There was an "acknowledgement" in the presentation to supply problems with the previous generation, so hopefully that's a good sign that the supply is there.
Thanks, glad they're going to rectify that or at least they acknowledge it. Maybe they'll still do the same again anyway..;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I used to love MSI but Zotac or Gigabyte have been my go to manufacturers in recent years.
I would like to go Zotac, but they will need to price it right. I will likely have sold the 3080 before the 3 year warranty is finished and I hear Nvidia's RMA service is very good, so that is where I am leaning at the moment.

Caporegime
I have to admit it's interesting that a lot of manufacturers have 3xPCI-E connectors on board for their premium 3080's definitely looks like they are looking to enable to highest overclocking potential. Silicon lottery aside of course...

And that made zero difference with the last generations. I made that mistake and went for a board with stupid amount of extra power chokes and all the blah blah blah about superior components used and extra power connectors needed and after sticking it under water, it didnt even get close the the FE card.

Its used to be the case in the 980ti days the AIB boards made a massive difference to your max overclocked performance. Recent generations its all just the silicon lottery and cooling it sufficiently.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm so confused in what to do. I really want the 3080 but as others have said it's sort of a "downgrade" in VRAM from the 1080 Ti. So I'm thinking to hold off for a potential 3080 Ti. But there's no guarantee? :/
What, 1gb less?

I say wait and see what the reviews say about RTX IO. If it works then you should be fine, if not just wait a little and they will have a 20gb version out.

Caporegime
I know how to block up AIB cards, never held an FE.

Looking at the FE shroud don't see any screws. Looks a bit like a crow-bar job.

How are NV with warranty on watercooled cards?

On the last FE board I bought Nvidia said warranty wasnt affected so long as I didnt damage the board,.

Soldato
Waiting for the $999 20GB 3080TI or whatever AMD bring TBH.

For me it will be the 3090 or nothing. Although I’m struggling to justify but will be nice to have some extra grunt especially when new RTX titles appear such as cyberpunk 2077. I’m leaning towards buying one but I’m still not sure yet. I nearly paid that for a 2080Ti on launch and that has served me very well indeed the past 2 years.

But it also depends how much of a difference 4.0 makes. I’d ideally like to wait for next gen pcie 4.0 Intel cpus with ddr5. I don’t fancy upgrading now to a Ryzen to then swap again next year for ddr5.

I was thinking about WC the card but I likely won’t even bother. My pc is far enough away now noise isn’t an issue. I’m starting to like the design even more seeing it in the flesh and I was more than impressed with last gen FE build quality.

Back
Top Bottom