• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Is anyone here in the unofficial discord ocuk? I been arguing with others saying that Intel is the best for gaming and you will see a noticable FPS boost when you compare like for like CPU from AMD...

i told them no that aint true as games are gpu dependant especially at 1080p res and above

Soldato
Pricing seems to suggest to me that they're worried about amds offerings which can only be good news for us consumers!
Wow, someone gets it!!!!
You are absolutely right and this needs repeating. AMD and Nvidia know's each other performance right now! And if nvidia had a clear lead, again, you would be seeing price hikes. But we are not. All Nvidia is saying right now is that they believe AMD cannot match their 3090 which is why they added $200 hike to it.

It seems that RDNA 2 will surprise the lot this time in it's price/performance.

Associate
(Un)Humble brag:

Since putting a spreadbet on Nvidia shares at 12:45pm yesterday at £1/pt. I have just closed a £2,088 gain.

Thanks for the free 3090 Nvidia... plus change towards a Ryzen Zen3 in a few months

Soldato
Yea that's a question I am looking for an answer for. But how much faster is a PCIe3 vs PCIe4 NVME?

I would have thought the whole point of this technology is to get the most out of what is available and avoid the IO bottleneck.

I have a 970 Evo nvme which is fast. I cant imagine it's not 'fast enough'.

Well it's still going to be faster that the current 'standard' method as there's less data to transfer over the PCI bus since with RTX IO the compressed data is transferred then decompressed into VRAM as opposed to the current system whereby the CPU has to decompress the data then load it into the GPU. The GPU will also be far faster actually decompressing the data than the CPU.

How much faster a PCIe4 SSD will be that a PCIe3 one remains to be seen but potentially a lot if that's the biggest bottleneck.

Associate
More about the way it communicates rather than the speed, from my brief read of it

Might have to look at upgrading the rest of my system when games start to come out next year that start to properly utilise this new tech. I am still using a z87 based board and the only way I can get nvme is by gimping my graphics card slot to pcie 3.0x8 and then I could use an expansion card to get a nvme drive running at 2.0x4 but I don’t think that would really be worth it, thoughts?

Soldato
I think this can be summed up as:

1)Anyone who bought a 2080 Ti (or any expensive Turing card) recently made a TERRIBLE emotional purchasing decision, against all of the advice of the sensible people on forums advising to wait until next-gen was launched. True buyers remorse and completely avoidable.
2) Anyone who bought a 2080 Ti at launch and sold it a month or two ago for £1000 is laughing and can feel very satisfied with themselves.

That's basically the situation.
So the question now. Since we know, at the very least, that if RDNA 2 beats both 3070/3080 Nvidia will:
-Reduce prices
-Provide super duper variants at the same price point of the 3070/3080 but mush faster/more vram

Which would diminish the invest early adapters made just to say, I got mine 1st!

Soldato
I think this can be summed up as:

1)Anyone who bought a 2080 Ti (or any expensive Turing card) recently made a TERRIBLE emotional purchasing decision, against all of the advice of the sensible people on forums advising to wait until next-gen was launched. True buyers remorse and completely avoidable.
2) Anyone who bought a 2080 Ti at launch and sold it a month or two ago for £1000 is laughing and can feel very satisfied with themselves.

That's basically the situation.
1. i bought mine at launch
2. i always put my previous owned card on my htpc as i sometimes game on the couch

Soldato
Is anyone here in the unofficial discord ocuk? I been arguing with others saying that Intel is the best for gaming and you will see a noticable FPS boost when you compare like for like CPU from AMD...

i told them no that aint true as games are gpu dependant especially at 1080p res and above

The Intel Core i9 10900K is the best gaming cpu.

Back
Top Bottom