Gfast constant drops

Sui

Sui

Soldato
So had my Gfast installed Friday, and it's been stable since (guess it's still early days) and the speed/ping is great. Guess it helps I can see the cabinet just outside the front window :d

A0v5xaQ.png
oFDtQDD.png

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Was all going so well, until an M J Quinn contractor working on behalf of OR ****** it all up. I’m currently on an 18mb TalkTalk connection when I’m meant to be 300mb with EE.

Went to tell him he had unplugged my connection but he just looked at me perplexed and that he wasn’t working on my flat. I now have to wait for Openreach to come out to correct it.

Soldato
So had my Gfast installed Friday, and it's been stable since (guess it's still early days) and the speed/ping is great. Guess it helps I can see the cabinet just outside the front window :d

A0v5xaQ.png
oFDtQDD.png

Lucky you as you are within 50m from the cabinet and also very good low ping!

Associate
I am on Zen Fibre up to 80Mbps and I been offered a deal with Sky TV UHD and Ultrafast Fibre broadband (Gfast 145Mbps) for £45 a month.

Would people recommend moving to Gfast or stick with the Zen Fibre up to 80Mbps?

I seen good and bad reports

Thanks

Associate
I am on Zen Fibre up to 80Mbps and I been offered a deal with Sky TV UHD and Ultrafast Fibre broadband (Gfast 145Mbps) for £45 a month.

Would people recommend moving to Gfast or stick with the Zen Fibre up to 80Mbps?

Thanks

How far are you from your cabinet?

Soldato

Thanks

Google Zen and you’ll find good and bad reports. The people who have no issues tend not to bother to tell everyone, the minority who do have issues are much more likely to complain about the issues they have.

Associate
Google Zen and you’ll find good and bad reports. The people who have no issues tend not to bother to tell everyone, the minority who do have issues are much more likely to complain about the issues they have.

I been with Zen for the last 3 years, only a few dropouts. Just looking around I have seen few deals on Gfast 145Mbps in the last few months from Sky, Talktalk and EE.

I am trying to decide should I stay on FTTC at 80Mbps or move to Gfast 145Mbps?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's up to you completely - there's no reason G.fast should be garbage but if it is you can just back out of the contract.

Bear in mind that moving to G.fast with Sky will mean you have to use their router - you won't get one from Openreach, you can't put the Sky Hub into a bridge mode, and G.fast modems are very expensive.

You won't have seen any G.fast deals from Vodafone as they aren't offering it.

Associate
It's up to you completely - there's no reason G.fast should be garbage but if it is you can just back out of the contract.

Bear in mind that moving to G.fast with Sky will mean you have to use their router - you won't get one from Openreach, you can't put the Sky Hub into a bridge mode, and G.fast modems are very expensive.

You won't have seen any G.fast deals from Vodafone as they aren't offering it.

Thanks

My mistake it was EE.

Can you turn off the wireless network within the sky hub/router as I have a full UnFi setup switch/ access points in the house?

Soldato
Thanks

My mistake it was EE.

Can you turn off the wireless network within the sky hub/router as I have a full UnFi setup switch/ access points in the house?

Yes. I ran this way for 10 days till I could be arsed to edit my config on the router to manually pass credentials to the modem and swap back to a modem set-up.

Associate
Had Zen Gfast installed 3 weeks ago. A really smooth changeover including my website and mail server. Service has been flawless.

speedtest.jpg

Associate
Had Zen Gfast installed 3 weeks ago. A really smooth changeover including my website and mail server. Service has been flawless.

speedtest.jpg

That good to hear.

Your phone calls VoIP or still on copper?

Did you get a separate modem and a new router or it just a single box now

Did a engineer come out to fit a new socket?

Associate
Still on copper. I've been leaving it a while before I look at things like VoIP and IPv6.

Had to have an engineer visit. New master socket and new modem.

Engineer couldn't get any of his tests to work and was about to leave and get some help when I suggested just plugging my existing router into the modem and "trying it". It worked straight away so I don't know what he was doing wrong.

Associate
Still on copper. I've been leaving it a while before I look at things like VoIP and IPv6.

Had to have an engineer visit. New master socket and new modem.

Engineer couldn't get any of his tests to work and was about to leave and get some help when I suggested just plugging my existing router into the modem and "trying it". It worked straight away so I don't know what he was doing wrong.

How far are you from your cabinet?

I can only get up to 170Mbps when my line is checked so only offered up to 145Mbps

Any deals offered by Zen?

Thanks

Associate
I'm about 100m from the cabinet.

No I didn't get any deal. It's quite expensive to be honest but options for ISP with high speed and the features I want are very few where I live so Zen was pretty much my only choice. I don't mind paying for decent internet service though so no regrets so far.

Associate
I'm about 100m from the cabinet.

No I didn't get any deal. It's quite expensive to be honest but options for ISP with high speed and the features I want are very few where I live so Zen was pretty much my only choice. I don't mind paying for decent internet service though so no regrets so far.

Thanks.

I phoned them with no luck.

Just signed up to 150 Gfast with TalkTalk with a guarantee minimum of 107Mbps :)

Associate
I had Sky G.Fast 145 Mbps installed in Coppull, Lancs a few Months ago. I've had openreach an Sky engineers out but it still drops frequently. Worst service I've ever had. Sadly no full fibre in our area yet! I hope I can get out of my Sky contract.

Back
Top Bottom