Philips Fidelio X3 coming soon

Associate
I have to agree. I don't use my X2's as there's something off which the Senns do just right. It's in the mid/treble region I don't get a long with, so I just don't use them.
Really I just want the 600/650 with more bass extension. That would be the perfect headphone for me currently without getting into the ridiculous price realm.

It's the cohesion between the mids and treble it's flawless in how it transitions, they just sound right, like what music is meant to sound like. Most headphones these days recess the upper mids where as the HD650 has always been more forward in this area; gives female voices that body and range. I've been waiting for a headphone with HD650 timbre, tonal balance and improved bass for years. The Focal Clear gets close but the timbre is completely different, more metallic harsh. I've accepted it'll never happen despite many headphones like the ZMF range trying to mimic the HD650's.

Soldato
I'd look to your gear. Lifeless and Anaemic is the opposite of what the HD650's sound like. The HD650 can pull out as much micro detail as the HD800 but the HD800 has far more treble resolution, bass distortion and extension. The HD650 is one of the most gear dependent headphones I've owned, I heard one out of an Eddie Current Zana Deux and that's when I realised the guys at Changstar at the time were not talking crap about the scalability of the headphone. Even the LCD-2 can't pull off the same subtle details as the HD650, it's such a great example of good German engineering and how good a dynamic can sound.

There's headphones that do out resolve the HD650, the Focal Clear, maybe Focal Elex but those headphones lack the treble smoothness, timbre and the HD650 on a good chain can easily match them while having the better tonal balance. The 650 isn't perfect, bass distortion could be cleaner but then again this is comparing them to much more expensive headphones. When Isee people paring their HD650 with entry level gear I just think it's such wasted potential, people will happily buy source gear at 1k for their LCD-2's which don't even benefit from it but a headphone like the HD650 which shows clear improvements they don't because it's cheaper. The Magni is a very lean, bright aggressive amp, much different compared to the HD650 and it wasn't the most technical amp even at the time. A good Tranformer Coupled amp would give you a much better experience but it really depends on which direction one wants to go. The X2 is a very bassy, bright headphone where as the HD650 leans towards warm, more balanced sounding so it can sound less exciting in comparison.

I'm tempted to bite the £280 deal on the X3, I dunno, I'd rather wait till amazon have it as the returns is painless!

Fully agree

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Having owned the X1, X2, and various variants of AKG equivalents and now (well, several years in...) owning HD650s with the Dekoni memory foam velour earpads, the 650s walk all over anything I have had previously for clarity, detail and presentation. I am using a higher end for the time NAD DAC/amp though as my ears are tuned for the "NAD sound" and nothing else sounds right for my preference. I have zero desire to even look up potential upgrades because the HD650s may as well be end game for me. I've got a better quality cable and more comfortable memory foam pads, I'm sorted.

I guess my interest in the X3 is purely based on having owned the X2 and X1 before so wanting to see where Phillips have advanced.

Associate
Anyone see/watch any good reviews of these yet?
Zeos has reviewed the X3. (Z Reviews on Youtube)

TLDW
"In a 20 minute blind test with these i would have a hard time telling them apart from the X2HR's." I.e. they sound almost exactly the same, you're paying for a more premium box and premium materials but the X2HR has a better cable.

In short, if you own the X2HR, skip the X3

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You forgot to mention the cable disaster too. The cables are WAY too long and using a custom or aftermarket cable won't work because Philips in their infinite wisdom chose to use different poles on one side of the headphone connector so you only hear sound through one cup when using a cable that isn't the stock cable.

Regardless of the high end leather abruptly finished on the headband, for this price these niggles are not just niggles, they are what I'd call a disaster and grounds for a full refund.

Sennheiser only give a 3m long cable too but guess what, all aftermarket cables work no probs hence why I have a custom wardmod braided cable on the 650s!

Associate
people put WAY to much faith in his reviews in general and i have no idea way.
Zeos represents consumers but the thing is he can't explain sound in his reviews. I find it hard to believe that having experienced all that gear he doesn't know what good sound is, not for a second. Sometimes I'll listen to him and think how the ***** did you come to that conclusion. I just think he's one of those people who cannot explain things in normal terms.

Nothing against the guy at all, fair play to him but if one is a serious audio enthusiast then Zeos isn't the reviewer for them. When Tyll left, there's literally nobody, all of the most experienced and reliable are forum only, Hands, Purrin are two I respect a lot but they're strictly forum only.

Soldato
Zeos represents consumers but the thing is he can't explain sound in his reviews. I find it hard to believe that having experienced all that gear he doesn't know what good sound is, not for a second. Sometimes I'll listen to him and think how the ***** did you come to that conclusion. I just think he's one of those people who cannot explain things in normal terms.

Nothing against the guy at all, fair play to him but if one is a serious audio enthusiast then Zeos isn't the reviewer for them. When Tyll left, there's literally nobody, all of the most experienced and reliable are forum only, Hands, Purrin are two I respect a lot but they're strictly forum only.

Based on how loud he blasts his headphones I'm sure his hearing is shot anyway.

Soldato
Way too heavy for using longer than 1 hour. Too hot also, even in Winter. Sold those on as soon as my drop order arrived. Also made me look a total knob on the bus.

Thanks for this. I'll likely give them a miss.

I don't want to go to wired headphones ever again. Although I liked them, my lifestyle and comfort is just not designed around a wire to get maximum use and enjoyment from them.

At home, I'm always going to listen to music, games and films on my Arendals. Its just superior for me in every way.
At the gym, I need wireless. At work, I need wireless. On the bus, I need wireless.

So damn..

Soldato
Thanks for this. I'll likely give them a miss.

I don't want to go to wired headphones ever again. Although I liked them, my lifestyle and comfort is just not designed around a wire to get maximum use and enjoyment from them.

At home, I'm always going to listen to music, games and films on my Arendals. Its just superior for me in every way.
At the gym, I need wireless. At work, I need wireless. On the bus, I need wireless.

So damn..

Yeah weight is not usually a consideration in high end wireless headsets for me as I just want the best. But then I put on the Pandas and it did my neck in, found myself slumping in my seat after an hour. They sounded alright kinda like those big wooden Denons they used to do but so so heavy and overall not very high end looking in build.

Back
Top Bottom