Reverse sometimes struggles to engage

Associate
We've had our Fabia for a year now and the only thing that gripes me is that reverse can sometimes be a pickle. You have to push the stick down and to the left (past 1 & 2), then up to get into reverse.

The issue is that sometimes it slides in just fine, other times it'll get stuck about half way and the options are force it in by going back to neutral then going back into reverse harder - or keep a little pressure upwards and slowly engage the clutch, until it eventually just falls into reverse and it's fine. I also found that going from stopped to neutral - release clutch, depress clutch, go into reverse general works but it's a faff and involves quite a bit of unnecessary clutch work.

Is this a common thing with Skoda/VAG cars? I've not really been concerned by it because other than that, reverse is perfectly fine, but if it's something to be concerned about, is it worth getting it checked? Annoyingly it had it's MOT and service on Friday :rolleyes:

Soldato
It sounds like something that, in my experience, happens occasionally with most cars. My Fiesta did it yesterday. Back into neutral, release and re-depress clutch and it always goes in smoothly second time.

I think it's because there's no synchromesh on reverse(?) Someone with more knowledge will probably be along to tell me I'm wrong shortly!

Associate
OP
It sounds like something that, in my experience, happens occasionally with most cars. My Fiesta did it yesterday. Back into neutral, release and re-depress clutch and it always goes in smoothly second time.

I think it's because there's no synchromesh on reverse(?) Someone with more knowledge will probably be along to tell me I'm wrong shortly!
I thought it would be something to do with the lack of synchro as slowly engaging the clutch makes it slip in every time - as if it needs a little nudge to line up.

Associate
Yep pretty sure it's to do with no synchros on reverse. If you're unlucky the teeth on gears wont match and need to turn a bit to engage. Probably doesn't help they're straight cut on reverse too.
Double clutch like you've been doing is the best way. Same as if you had damaged synchros in the gearbox you were trying to protect.

Soldato
Been running a Fabia for 18 years ,probably older than yours and its probably not this but the rubber bushings disintegrate in the gear lever mechanism ,very very easy to check by just lifting the rubber gaiter up on the gear lever inside the car ,but its usually 1st gear you lose ,again probably not but worth mentioning https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-gear-getter-for-vw-mk4-golf-jetta-new-beetle as i lost my gears in a heat wave and the bush had melted !!!!!

Associate
OP
Been running a Fabia for 18 years ,probably older than yours and its probably not this but the rubber bushings disintegrate in the gear lever mechanism ,very very easy to check by just lifting the rubber gaiter up on the gear lever inside the car ,but its usually 1st gear you lose ,again probably not but worth mentioning https://www.dieselgeek.com/collecti...-gear-getter-for-vw-mk4-golf-jetta-new-beetle as i lost my gears in a heat wave and the bush had melted !!!!!
Oh crikey, that sounds bad!!

Ours is only a 65 plate, maybe I'll take a look. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance, no noises or anything, it's just a nuisance at the moment. If you engage the clutch slowly it slots in and all is good, but if you do it slightly too fast... Well - y'know the sound!

Soldato
ah mines a relic compared to that so probably not :)

IMG-20200830-210715.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
It could be engine mounts meaning the engine is not in the right place. This is more for cars with a solid linkage though. More than likey something is worn in the mechanism though. If you can try and change the box by hand in the engine bay with the gear linkage disconnected.

Soldato
I tend to find if I try and it's not working I move back to neutral, disengage and rengage the clutch and it moves in without fuss normally.

Caporegime
I've found this to happen in all cars on occasion. As has been said, its likely you are unlucky and the teeth haven't lined up. Just release the brake/handbrake and let the car move/roll a fraction.

Soldato
Although some are supposedly life filled , has gearbox oil ever been changed ... gear changes definitely improved when I did that on a BM,
I assume fluid does break down, eventually, and not cover the parts so well.

This has been normal on cars forever, if it doesn't go in, move lever back to neutral raise and depress clutch and go again.

Yep this

I would add it seems more of an issue if you adopt bad practice of moving across and pushing down as one movement since its supposed to be two. Fully push down then move across as two motions, on most cars you seem to get away with doing both as one most of the time, but I do find if you properly do two motions you don't seem to get the jamming anywhere as frequently as when you combine into one

Back
Top Bottom