• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 - Goldfish Edition?

Caporegime
Associate
10gb will easily become obsolete within a year. Imagine upgrading from a 1080ti after 4 years and getting less VRAM.

you are so wrong, you are comparing the new fast memory with old tech. You dont need more than 5GB at 4k with GX memory.

Permabanned
Would not call it mid even if higher cards come out its mid/high.

The 3070 could be classed as this Gens mid but it is as fast/faster than a 2080Ti in some aspects.

Last edited:
Soldato
The new consoles have 16GB of VRAM, OS uses 2-3 GB max, meaning both new consoles have more VRAM than the 3080's 10GB. Scumbag move from Nvidia, but will make them lots of money once those who buy it have to upgrade.

Good luck running console ports with only 10GB VRAM.

Soldato
So... an increase of 2GB over the 2080, and just off last gen's flagship.

Totally, 'goldfish' edition. Obsolete in three months. Nvidia should all be in jail if it costs more than £5.

Back in the real world, with PCIe 4 support enabling faster data transfer between system and graphics memory, various compression techniques etc, games not yet really stretching the 8GB cards... I'm not convinced this is going to be much of an issue.

?

Games already use more than 8GB. I'm seeing up to 11GB in use at 4K in various games. The new consoles are pushing 4K to be mainstream as well, meaning that needs to be considered.

Who wants to play games on PC at a lower resolution than a console lol?

Also we have no idea if the RTX IO feature is automatic, or if it needs to be supported in each game. We don't even know if it works properly...

Soldato
It's 11Gb GDDR6 vs 10Gb GDDR6X which is, according nvidia, twice as fast as G6. I don't know what this means, I can only speculate. if 2080 Ti uses 10Gb at UHD 60fps, would a 3080 do the same but only use 5Gb VRAM?

I can only say wait for benchmarks and deep dive testing before moaning about the amount of VRAM when we have no idea how this new G6X VRAM works.

Caporegime
It's 11Gb GDDR6 vs 10Gb GDDR6X which is, according nvidia, twice as fast as G6. I don't know what this means, I can only speculate. if 2080 Ti uses 10Gb at UHD 60fps, would a 3080 do the same but only use 5Gb VRAM?

I can only say wait for benchmarks and deep dive testing before moaning about the amount of VRAM when we have no idea how this new G6X VRAM works.
Well... If you have 8GB DDR4-2333, would 4GB DDR4-4000 be an upgrade because it's faster?

They aren't the same thing of course, just saying that speed (alone) doesn't compensate for lack of GB.

Permabanned
The new consoles have 16GB of VRAM, OS uses 2-3 GB max, meaning both new consoles have more VRAM than the 3080's 10GB. Scumbag move from Nvidia, but will make them lots of money once those who buy it have to upgrade.

Good luck running console ports with only 10GB VRAM.
ye in 2 years i can see 10gb being a problem at 4k

Soldato
Does screwing faster make up for having small drill? Asking for a friend, this sounds like it could be game changing.

I don't know why people don't understand - if you have to have a certain amount of memory to display a scene (+ whatever extra to account for movement streaming changes), how would having faster memory help you exactly? If it can't fit in the first place, adding more faster won't help!

Permabanned
Does screwing faster make up for having small drill? Asking for a friend (SURE), this sounds like it could be game changing.

I don't know why people don't understand - if you have to have a certain amount of memory to display a scene (+ whatever extra to account for movement streaming changes), how would having faster memory help you exactly? If it can't fit in the first place, adding more faster won't help!

Is that some kind of code/double entendre? :eek:

Associate
Everyone getting upset but didnt Nvidia say they are now pushing twice the data through the VRAM. Pointless arguing cause it is all speculation re performance until reviews come out

Back
Top Bottom