• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Yea, I am not happy it is only 10gb but I think I will be fine with it until the next gen cards come out. The worst case scenario I see is on a handful of games may need to drop one setting on textures. 99% of my Steam library will work without a sweat before I upgrade to a 4070/80 or whatever amd has at the time.

Also I think a lot of people are still thinking in traditional terms. I.e the GPU would cache textures in to vram. But with the next gen cards (and consoles) quite possibly more textures will be streamed from nvme hence this direct storage technology (RTX IO).

Associate
Its gonna give up the ghost one day my friend lol. Would plan a phase it to the backup/spare rig myself and treat yourself to a new one to support the £800+ piece of hardware tbh.

You're probably right and I could always use it for a spare rig for the kids, but the devil on my shoulder wants to try to see if it would work "just because!".

Eyeing up a Corsair RM1000, though as it's been so long since I bought a PSU I hadn't realised they've gone up so much.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You're probably right and I could always use it for a spare rig for the kids, but the devil on my shoulder wants to try to see if it would work "just because!".

Eyeing up a Corsair RM1000, though as it's been so long since I bought a PSU I hadn't realised they've gone up so much.

Maybe risk a Jensen..."It just works"

Associate
The only problem with that is that you will, inevitably, push prices up by doing this.

I mean obviously you as a single person won't have much effect, but they will know how many people do the same, and then they will price this into the cost of the items they sell.

So the more people that do what you're doing, the more prices will go up to compensate.

e: It's like the cost of insurance. Insurance companies price everything in. They have detailed stats on risk and on behaviours. The more people make/win claims, the more the cost of the insurance goes up (etc).

I strongly disagree with this they pride themselves on constantly being cheapest or match other sellers. It will never cause them to raise prices. They mostly just sell the returned items as new, or if packaging damaged on the warehouse deals at a 5-15% discount.

This said retailer has actually sold things at a loss to corner market share in areas.

They openly advertise a no quibbles return. And I know countless people that do this. But then I do also buy a lot of stuff from them.

Soldato
I personally predict in about 12 months we will see the Supers.

3070 Super with bumped clocks and more vram and a 3080 Super with bumped clocks and more vram.

Because the vram on the 3090 is set so high that there is plenty of room for them to fit more cards in above the 3070 and 3080.

Soldato
The only problem with that is that you will, inevitably, push prices up by doing this.

I mean obviously you as a single person won't have much effect, but they will know how many people do the same, and then they will price this into the cost of the items they sell.

So the more people that do what you're doing, the more prices will go up to compensate.

e: It's like the cost of insurance. Insurance companies price everything in. They have detailed stats on risk and on behaviours. The more people make/win claims, the more the cost of the insurance goes up (etc).

I strongly disagree with this they pride themselves on constantly being cheapest or match other sellers. It will never cause them to raise prices. They mostly just sell the returned items as new, or if packaging damaged on the warehouse deals at a 5-15% discount.

This said retailer has actually sold things at a loss to corner market share in areas.

They openly advertise a no quibbles return. And I know countless people that do this. But then I do also buy a lot of stuff from them.

if it's a certain well known river they actually block customers who abuse their returns policy too often. Be careful!

I am however just about to return an unopened 2060 super that was a present for my other half. Seems sensible to get something nearer Christmas now.

Caporegime
I strongly disagree with this they pride themselves on constantly being cheapest or match other sellers. It will never cause them to raise prices. They mostly just sell the returned items as new
That would be illegal, frankly.

Once it's been sold (and opened/used) it can't be sold again as "new", even if it's in new condition. I don't doubt that some retailers do do this (cough), but it's not legal.

And therefore if you're buying things with the intention of returning them, you are costing the retailer money.

To think that they won't cost that in is to believe that they will simply allow their margins to fall and fall and do nothing about it.

Associate
I've always upgraded in the Ti cycle. Currently on the 1080 Ti but feel I should just sell now (whilst there is some value left in the 1080 Ti), use my 5700XT temporarily and see what the actual reviews are like before committing to a 3080 or Ti (if one comes in out next)

Caporegime
To be frankly honest I've used a very well know competitor and the 30 day returns policy to test out all manner of items. Monitors, cameras, graphics cards. They so after all have a no quibbles return, even returned some items on day 29.
Dont feel the slightest bit guilty with the absolute slave labour that said company put the staff through....
You 'don't feel guilty', but you willingly use that slave labour yourself every time you send it back, not to mention cause double the environmental impact from transporting everything both ways each time. Make no mistake, you're also an unethical douchebag. ;)

That RTX 3070ti 16Gb card is going to be crazy popular.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to that 1080ti for a little longer yet until these unconfirmed Ti's become available.
(Just give me what I want you gits lol). :p

we will see it again my friend, just not yet. Not yet.... https://www.techpowerup.com/271676/lenovo-lists-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-with-16gb-gddr6-memory
nOTbAdrfnjl0qy5H.jpg

S3w6ZDxZrNYsM9Vm.jpg

Caporegime
That RTX 3070ti 16Gb card is going to be crazy popular.

Looks like I'll hanging on to that 1080ti for few more months yet till these unconfirmed Ti's become available.
(Just give me what I want you gits lol). :p
If AMD don't do anything similar it's the card I'm most like to get myself (assuming it becomes reality, which is also a big if :p)

But I'm hoping RDNA2 will save me from having to sell my soul to Jensen "Two Fists In" LJM and his Mean Greens.

Associate
Why would they release a 3070ti that has more memory that the 3080? I thought the 3080ti would come with around 16gb. I don't see what they are doing it?

rumours are navi’s are going to have 16gb of vram so I’m guessing the ti/supers will be there to cover amd off on the vram front

So they’ll try and sell the non ti’s/supers with less memory until amd show their range

Soldato
Thermals should be interesting...

Capture.png

That rear fan is going to foul a lot of DIMM slots.

Can anyone recommend a couple of cases that could potentially work with a 3090 FE or even just the 3080?

Eh? The 3090 is no larger than a lot of Pascal or Turing third party cards. It's shorter than my 1080Ti.

The 3080 is relatively tiny, only 285mm long and dual slot.

Both should fit in any decent case.

Associate
Why would they release a 3070ti that has more memory that the 3080? I thought the 3080ti would come with around 16gb. I don't see what they are doing it?

There's a 20gb 3080 specification also, so likely they will launch this as well. Have to wait for AMD's new GPUs to know for sure.

Soldato

It certainly has me confused. I was all in for a 3080 yesterday and today I read about a 3070 Ti with 16Gb VRAM. I can't imagine nvidia letting this out perform a 3080 so it surely wouldn't out price it. I may sit on the fence for a bit and see what news comes about. There's also the nasty habit of shortly after a card release the game bundles come out. Surely there will be a Cyberpunk nvidia bundle.

Back
Top Bottom