New Alienware Q3 2020

Associate
I'm all over the AW3821DW providing it doesn't have the damn fan issue.
My understanding is the fan is actually built into the G-Sync Ultimate unit, so unless this has been updated the monitors are likely to have fans included.

Although the HDR600 is still a bit strange considering the G-Sync Ultimate requirements of a minimum of HDR 1000.

We'll see.

Associate
My understanding is the fan is actually built into the G-Sync Ultimate unit, so unless this has been updated the monitors are likely to have fans included.

Although the HDR600 is still a bit strange considering the G-Sync Ultimate requirements of a minimum of HDR 1000.

We'll see.

The good thing if the fan fails or go faulty 2 years down the line - Dell will replace the monitor. Opposite of LG customer service.

Associate
I do love Alienware gear but I just wanna see monitor's focus on image quality for gaming displays. I really couldn't care about a small improvement at this point.

Glossy screen
Higher contrast with full array and true HDR(optional not essential)
True sRGB mode

Why can't I have this? I use a crappy 6 bit + FRC at work, it only has around 1100:1 contrast ratio but it has a glossy screen, it looks better than any gaming monitor regardless of price.

It's 2020, give me a damn glossy option.

Associate
Forgive the ignorance here, but I’m new to all this.

So, Dell are launching these monitors as “Amphere” models, but none of them support 4K? Wasn’t that the whole point of buying an RTX 3090?

I’m building a system from scratch and am tying to educate myself on monitors.

Is there such a thing as a “proper” 4096×2160 (4K) or 3840 × 2160 (QFHD/Ultra HD) gaming monitor with 144hz+ and 1ms response time, or have these not been invented yet/are still ludicrously priced?

Associate
OP
Forgive the ignorance here, but I’m new to all this.

So, Dell are launching these monitors as “Amphere” models, but none of them support 4K? Wasn’t that the whole point of buying an RTX 3090?

I’m building a system from scratch and am tying to educate myself on monitors.

Is there such a thing as a “proper” 4096×2160 (4K) or 3840 × 2160 (QFHD/Ultra HD) gaming monitor with 144hz+ and 1ms response time, or have these not been invented yet/are still ludicrously priced?
None of these new models are for 4K. Alienware already followed the Nvidia BFG standard with their 4k 55" model, which you can buy now. These new models all have the physical G-Sync module and we know the 25" 1080P 360hz model will support Nvidia Reflex. The 27" is 1440P 240hz, so that may well support Reflex as well. The 38" 21:9 model seems to be a response to the new LG 21:9 and no doubt has the same panel.
To drive that 360Hz, I expect the 3080 is needed as people with 1080P 240Hz struggled with 2080Ti on modern AAA FPS games like Apex etc.

Associate
For anyone that is planning on spending over £800 with dell/Alienware by the end of this month, if you bank with Halifax, in the cash back extras section on the app, you can get £80 cash back when you spend £800 or more.

Associate
I think G-Sync Ultimate was just a typo in the original pdf, that every source keeps reposting. It was supposed to be G-Sync Compatible. The Dell AW3821DW has the same panel as LG 38GN950, Acer XR383CKP or MSI MEG381CQR, just in Dell casing. I hope I am wrong though and it is a new hardware g-sync HDR galore monitor based on some new gsync module with hdmi 2.1...

Soldato
For anyone that is planning on spending over £800 with dell/Alienware by the end of this month, if you bank with Halifax, in the cash back extras section on the app, you can get £80 cash back when you spend £800 or more.

Similarly Amex platinum cards have a spend £750 at Dell, £100 instant cashback...worth looking into and using a UNiDAYS code if you have one. Gets the Alienware 34’ down to £890 all in :)

Associate
Looks like the 38inch Alienware will be priced at $1,899.99 USD.

Any guesses what the UK pricing will be? Was quite keen on this panel as the LG GN and WN seem to be out of stock everywhere. Not sure I want to try and grab another GL after my first one had coil whine/loud fan issues.

Soldato
Here I'll make the necessary complicated adjustments for you just gimmie a few mins..

$1,899.99 was it?

Lemmie see....durp...beeep...doop

£1899.99

Soldato
Looks like the 38inch Alienware will be priced at $1,899.99 USD.

Any guesses what the UK pricing will be? Was quite keen on this panel as the LG GN and WN seem to be out of stock everywhere. Not sure I want to try and grab another GL after my first one had coil whine/loud fan issues.

I suspect it'll be close to the same figure in sterling which makes it rather expensive, although the excellent warranty and dead pixel guarantee are worth a bit extra.

This will undoubtedly have the same damned fan as the GL you mention and all G-Sync Ultimate panels.

Be interested to see what it overclocks to as well as 144Hz is fairly conservative.

Soldato
It seems the UK prices are a lot less according to article on Hexus. You will still be paying more for G-Sync Ultimate. Shame they do not have non G-Sync versions as they do for the 240hz 1080P models.

If it's around the same price as the LG 38GL and the fan isn't audible then I'll likely go for it. Will await the TFTCentral review with interest.

Back
Top Bottom