**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Is there a demo available for this game? Guess I could buy it on Steam and request a refund it it doesnt work on my machine.

I expect the CPU wont be able to cope (i7 [email protected])

I have a 4770K @ 4.2Ghz, it copes and is playable. I get spikes at 100% CPU usage though. It's the first time I've seen a need to upgrade from this CPU.

Shall be looking to having a Zen 3 build later this year.

Soldato
I got an X56 Rhino and it detected everything for me. Only had to customise a few things to my liking, was very easy.

What have you changed? I've got the X56 too. I switched mixture from the left throttle lever to top rotary dial. I'd like to make the other rotary dial control the nav frequency but can't get it to work!

Man of Honour
Thanks, all. Does it matter what xbox pass? Ultimate or PC I presume - https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/xbox-game-pass#join

I also note it says "Requires Windows 10 (latest update)" Does this mean Windows 10 2004? I'm staying with 1909 at the moment due to issues with COD MW on 2004. It turned the game into a stuttery mess

Should be fine; I'm running it fine on 1909

Associate
Upgraded to 32gb ram today and let me tell you it DOES 100% make a difference. Zero stutters. It makes sense as my RAM usage was sometimes way into the 20gb's when loading certain areas. During flight I routinely see 18-19gb being used.

I'm running everything at max including all sliders for terrain detail etc so don't know if that makes a difference but imo it's well worth it for this game.

I saw 20.1GB used this evening when flying low in the area around Seattle. Definitely made a difference for me too. Only running high at 1440p though.

Soldato
A heads up to avoid Keflavik airport, had my first 2 crashes to desktop loading a flight plan to there, then a CTD approaching it for landing, seems it's bugged as immediately after I flew around New York with no issues. Also seen others having issues with Keflavik causing CTDs on forums.

I just tried to start a flight from Keflavik twice and it CTD'ed both times....

Picked another airport on Iceland, no problem.

Definitely avoid Keflavik

Soldato
I was under the impression that RAM usage was being thrashed more than anything, another poster with a 1650 GPU also commented but perhaps the poster who mentioned 100% CPU usage is driving a faster card?
My 2500k (4.4ghz) is almost constantly at 100% on all four cores, my 16GB ram I have yet to see anywhere near maxed out and my 980ti is all over the place but generally well under 100% use.

It's probably the first time since I got the 2500k that it's showed its age in my usage and an upgrade is sadly out of the question for now, hopefully by the time the next round of AMD CPU's are out I will have the disposable income for a decent step up :)

Associate
My 2500k (4.4ghz) is almost constantly at 100% on all four cores, my 16GB ram I have yet to see anywhere near maxed out and my 980ti is all over the place but generally well under 100% use.

It's probably the first time since I got the 2500k that it's showed its age in my usage and an upgrade is sadly out of the question for now, hopefully by the time the next round of AMD CPU's are out I will have the disposable income for a decent step up :)

That's with a 4 thread CPU though Dano, I'm referring to 8 thread i7 CPUs. The 4 thread i5s will always struggle with some games nowadays unfortunately. Even if it's just a 4 core CPU but it has hyperthreading, that's still a whole lot different. I went from a 4690k to a 4790k 18 months ago, the difference was extremely noticeable. A 4770k is pretty much the same CPU as the 4790k, they're still very viable chips. I'm a little surprised that one of those would really suffer that badly with 100% usage on all 8 threads.

I might have a Ryzen now, but that's purely because I was thinking about longer term job prospects due to the pandemic. I used the dosh I saved while on furlough and lockdown, plus selling the 4790k, board, 16GB of memory and a 1070 with ghetto rigged 120mm Corsair fans to my mate for 350 quid. If it wasn't for COVID-19 and what it may potentially do for the economy and my own job prospects, I'd still have been running that 4790k well into next year. That's how good the 4th gen i7s were, still very viable chips.

One thing is for sure, when you do upgrade you're going to be pretty wowed by what you get. In the meantime, have you tried capping MSFS to 30 frames? 30 frames is all you need with this game for it to be pretty playable and still look nice. Might ease the load on the i5 as at certain points, it may well want to go over 30 frames and push up the CPU usage enough to choke a bit.

Back
Top Bottom