Trouble shooting a blue screen after win10 update

Associate
OP
Great, thanks a lot for that @darael I've now installed 1909 and... so far so good! Although I'm not counting my chickens yet. I want to do more testing before my faith is restored.

I installed offline but obviously need to go online eventually. Does anyone know a definitive way to stop Windows automatically installing updates? I've set feature updates to 365 days now and quality ones to 30. I presume that should keep me on 1909 for the foreseeable future?

Soldato
Great, thanks a lot for that @darael I've now installed 1909 and... so far so good! Although I'm not counting my chickens yet. I want to do more testing before my faith is restored.

I installed offline but obviously need to go online eventually. Does anyone know a definitive way to stop Windows automatically installing updates? I've set feature updates to 365 days now and quality ones to 30. I presume that should keep me on 1909 for the foreseeable future?
I'm still on 1909 and haven't been offered the 2004 update yet - but even if you are, it shouldn't be forced onto you until 2009 is out in September/October. You might get better answers by asking in the Windows 10 thread.

With everything working, I'd make a system restore point. Then update your drivers with Snappy Driver Installer Origin, but install your own graphic drivers.

Associate
OP
Brilliant, thanks for that. I'd not heard of Snappy before. I'll dl their offline install and use it find 2 device drivers I'm missing. Then I'll create a system restore.

Associate
OP
@darael Could I ask a quick question about Snappy. Running it I get 2 yellow driver available selections. Which correlates with the 2 I have missing in my device manager so that's fine. However, each of the driver headings has a drop down arrow, which reveals many different versions of the same driver.

What is the accepted way to go about installing these 2 missing drivers? Should I just tick the main checkbox of each driver (if so which of the drivers does it install?) or should I actually choose a specific driver from each driver menu's dropdown?

Last edited:
Soldato
@darael Could I ask a quick question about Snappy. Running it I get 2 yellow driver available selections. Which correlates with the 2 I have missing in my device manager so that's fine. However, each of the driver headings has a drop down arrow, which reveals many different versions of the same driver.

What is the accepted way to go about installing these 2 missing drivers? Should I just tick the main checkbox of each driver (if so which of the drivers does it install?) or should I actually choose a specific driver from each driver menu's dropdown?
Did you download the indexes? Also what does the top most bar say? Does it indicate any available driver updates? If so, click the bar and then This PC which should then download driver packs needed for that PC - but it works best after you've downloaded the indexes first.

If you're not sure, post a screenshot of SDIO here and I'll gladly look and try to advise.

Associate
OP
@darael I downloaded the entire thing, good to know I have a offline copy if necessary. So running the 64bit setup I get this screen.

Ignore the tick by the novoton driver, that's me. I forgot to uncheck it for the photo.

I'm not bothered about updating the other drivers, even though it's saying there re more optimal ones. I'd rather keep things stock for now. The ones marked yellow, I presume are the 2 that I'm missing in my device manager? So them I'd like to get working.

Last edited:
Soldato
@darael I downloaded the entire thing, good to know I have a offline copy if necessary. So running the 64bit setup I get this screen.

Ignore the tick by the novoton driver, that's me. I forgot to uncheck it for the photo.

I'm not bothered about updating the other drivers, even though it's saying there re more optimal ones. I'd rather keep things stock for now. The ones marked yellow, I presume are the 2 that I'm missing in my device manager? So them I'd like to get working.
You should be fine to install those, I wouldn't have any issues doing so.

Associate
OP
For instance, clicking the nuvoton pulldown I get all these drivers. Which one gets installed if I simply check the parent field? Or should I select a specific one? And if so which one?:confused: I'd presume the first one as all the others aren't signed..

Associate
OP
@darael Thanks, the 2 missing drivers installed fine.

I think I'm going to call this a wrap. I've been running the system since yesterday and it seems solid. Thanks so much for everyone's help, especially darael.

The issue does indeed seem to have been caused by the 2004 update. What a mess. At one point, prior to the 2004 tip off, I'd had to start familiarising myself with new motherboard/cpu/ram bundles.. Given the severity of the issue I had and from what I've no read about other peoples problems, I find it amazing that Microsoft released it in the first place. I don't know why it was served to me either.

Anyway, lesson learned! Never allow a feature update again without checking the tech news!! Goodness know when I'll do a feature update again. Who knows when (if!?) Microsoft will fix my issue??

Caporegime
Should have listened to my gut, my HTPC has just gone down a similar route.

Edit - wow I think that's the first time Windows has actually stepped up and sorted itself out. Reverted back to 1909, also noticed my BIOS was woefully out of date so updated that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still doing it :(

Weirdly I seemed to stop what felt like one a couple of days ago. I noticed the task bar at the bottom was acting weird as was Chrome, closed a few things and it seemed to get through it. Similar thing happened yesterday but knew the signs of needing a hard reset - icons on the task bar became stuck, it won't let you sign out or restart through Windows etc.

I have reverted to default settings in the BIOS, turned off a few apps (like Flux, GoG, Steam and Spotify) and updated my GFX drivers.

Edit - nope. Another one :(

Edit - only Radeon software running now in task tray, using Chrome temporarily and see if it repeats.

Edit - running Firefox now and just doing a BleanBit run.

Edit - I see Firefox is just as capable of gobbling up RAM as Chrome :p.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am still none the wiser. After only using FF, it didn't happen for days but eventually returned. I have just had another but this time, it was like a slow burner.

My internet became more unresponsive, restarted the SH3/UDM only to discover it was my PC that was acting weird (pages unresponsive/slow). I tried restarting or shutting down which wouldn't work so it was one of these crashes just more subtle. I think I need to reinstall Windows.

Edit - @ScottiB - apologies, I have only realised I have been replying in the wrong thread :o. Is it possible to delete or preferably move the last 3 posts to this thread please. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom