"Free" cavity wall installation

Soldato
I have just had a chap from Brand Extension Energy Installation call round, and he said we might be eligible for free cavity wall installation under a Hard to Treat" scheme.

I am naturally a bit suspicious - any one got any experience of this? are they a legit outfit? would i be better to arrange cavity wall installation through someone else?

Soldato
I haven't had this company but ive had numerous others visiting saying I can have free cavity insulation because of the age of my property etc. They will send a surveyor out to do the relevant checks and if you qualify then you can get it free.
Energy companies have got to do so many insulations a year otherwise they can get penalties from the government. What they don't tell you is that on certain properties it can cause all sorts of problems like damp. Luckily I knew a builder who said it wasn't worth the risk for my property and I declined
I wouldn't rush into getting it down and have a look at the pros and cons

Soldato
The house I am buying had this done a year or so ago. Interested to hear people's thoughts.

My plan was to run some cables from the loft but I suspect that will be a no go as the cavity is now filled?

Soldato
Agree don't.

If your house has a timber frame, it's not uncommon for what appears to be standard brick clad construction, or steel framed, it stops that being able to breath and can cause it to rot and cause serious structural defects to occur.

These guys installing it for free wont give a ****.

Permabanned
Only get a reputable company. I bought cavity wall insulation once and they drilled lots of nice holes in that walls and mucked about for a few hours. Six months later I had occasion to open one of the walls and there was nothing there. Problem is you are trusting them to actually put something in the walls. So no, never to someone who knocks on the door.

Associate
Bought our house and it was already done. Always had major condensation on windows in the front bedroom and other associated problems we didn't really notice. More mould around the frames, mould appearing in the wardrobes and in the corners of the room.

Had someone out to inspect from CIGA as it was also starting to happen in the lounge beneath the affected bedroom. Had it all removed and not a problem since, we wake up in the mornings with just a tiny bit of condensation along the bottom in winter as expected. Be very cautious.

Soldato
I had this in a rented house. The condensation inside was unreal. The house was actually damp because of this but I'm guessing the damp was getting through the walls too.

I'd never touch this on my own house. Cavity is there for a reason let the house breath!

Permabanned
He's probably started a "Which dehumidifier to buy?" thread by now, elsewhere ;) I like to see my rented property's carpets lift in a breeze, seal `em up like a drum and the tenant will be complaining of damp... If you have had mortar drop into a foamed cavity you will go through hell finding and getting the bridge out.

Back
Top Bottom