• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Fair point, in terms of dollar price it wasn't quite such a bargain, but I guess from a pure value proposition to me as a UK buyer, mid-high end cards are less appealing now than they were in years gone by, it seems nowadays if you are not spending £350+ you are really scraping around and compromising.
Yes you have to consider inflation, yes you have to consider maybe modern cards might have a longer lifespan rather than being upgraded every 18-24 months or whatever, but still i find myself struggling to justify the cost

Following the GTX280 I bought the following:

Jan 2011: GTX470 - £144
Nov 2012: HD7950 - £205
Jan 2017: RX480 - £146 (bear in mind the pound had tanked to under $1.25 by this point following the Brexit vote)

So that was less than £500 for three graphics cards that lasted me over 7.5 years, admittedly the GTX470 was being phased out so some good deals on. I'm conscious I may not be the target market for some of the high end stuff but what used to be the midrange price segment of £150-250 always used to tempt me two generations down the line if good deals became available. I don't even know what you'd buy for that sort of money these days and feel you were getting a decent upgrade, Vega seems to be EOL and RTX2060 priced above that, which leaves what a 1660S? Not really going to bet people out of bed in the morning from what I can see

Maybe 3060 or 3050 will be worth buying at the two three hundred pound mark when they arrive

Associate
Yup, which means it's a monkey **** fight with people scrambling to look at reviews and place orders.
why would nVidia jeopardise a few hundred million (at least) product launch? Gibbo and others might have, however...

Still waiting on an explanation for pricing variance.

Supply constraints at fab is not going to wash, especially on Samsung.

Associate
hv10w54lr0l51.png

On NV Reddit but some random poster not NV.
How many people have got 8k monitors seen price of them.

Associate
I still don't understand the factory oc on GPU's. Don't they use GPU boost anyway and boost to the max speeds they are capable of based on thermals etc?

So what's the point in a pre oc card?
I know you can just do it yourself its like buying a computer form someone and they charge you for overclocking the CPU its a rip off.

Soldato
I want to see Red Dead Redemption 2 performance Doom Eternal is not a very demanding game.
Nvidia said in the questions thing on reddit that at 4k high hz you can expect 100+fps with doom and some others (lesser demanding games listed there, forgot which) and RDR2 (others listed there too) would run closer to 60fps.

That tells me upcoming demanding games like Cyberpunk will barely hold 60fps at 4k.. personally another reason why I'll stick with 1440p high hz a while longer then to ensure higher and more solid fps.

Associate
You won't see much difference PCIE 4 is a gimmick.
Until the independent testing is completed we wont know if it is a gimmick or not.

Given that if it does make a difference it is only likely to be on the 3080+ cards (again speculation), many individuals with these cards will likely be gaming at 1440p +, in which case there is little difference between AMD and Intel at these resolutions. (Again speculation) - with Zen 3 later this year, Intel will likely lose any game leadership they still have, so for me anyone investing in a new system now should go AMD and Gen 4 regardless.

Permabanned
Remember it was to be skipped for PCI-E 5.0 as we were on 3.0 so long (apart from a few server Mobos) until AMD decided to release it for some reason or another.

I would rather they waited and did DDR5+PCI-E 5.0 after this long.

Associate
I still don't understand the factory oc on GPU's. Don't they use GPU boost anyway and boost to the max speeds they are capable of based on thermals etc?

So what's the point in a pre oc card?
To catch out everyone who doesn't know that. Many on these forums talk of 'highly overclocked' AIB 1080ti's and 2080ti's as if they're specially performant and outliers and don't understand they all follow similar boost patterns and thermals as you say. They then spend an extra £300-£500 on the cards which has to be one of the most questionable moves they could make although the decent AIBs hold their value better than FEs for the same reason.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom